Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 1:20 pm

Background:
I have bipolar II with underlying major depressive disorder (recurrent) and Tourette's. Suspected AS.
My insurance is Kaiser.
Currently taking lamictal (mood stabilizer), Abilify (antipsychotic), remeron (antidepressant), Wellbutrin (antidepressant).

While the lamictal and Abilify are stabilizing me (manic episodes are barely noticeable now), the depression (and the double depression I experience on the depressive part of my bipolar cycle) is terrible. I have tried about a dozen antidepressants, and none of them seem to work. Right now I am tapering off Wellbutrin and onto Remeron. My psychiatrist suggested that I consider a partial hospitalization program, where she says they can experiment with my meds more intensely than we do now, because I'll be under their watch. Apparently you go into the hospital just during the day, but you don't stay there. She also said they have a 3- or 7-day inpatient option.

Has anybody done a partial hospitalization program? What is it like? What sorts of medicines do they experiment with? What else do they do? Is it scary? :pale:

I realize I can ask these questions of my doctor too, but I'd like the view of someone who has actually gone through it.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 1:33 pm

my husband has attended partial a few times. they have discussion groups most of the day and you meet with your therapist daily.