Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 7:57 am

I wish some NT's would realize that just because I manage to do something one day and not be able to do the same thing the next day, it's not out of malice or laziness.

Everybody has good days and bad days.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 10:03 am

starkid wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
I understand now. Why would anyone expect to start as a CEO, manager, supervisor, etc? Are there people who would want to start at these things?

No, most people don't expect those jobs, I just used those obvious examples to make it easy to understand. But sometimes people expect to get a job that is better than the jobs they are qualified to have. For example, someone who just graduated from college with a computer science degree and no work experience often won't be considered qualified to be a software engineer. Instead of writing code, the person might have to start off debugging other people's code in the company.

This is what I wish others would understand. Starkid, herein lies the problem with what you say and the current prevailing notion to this belief. The problem is that the workplace structure, positions, and what one is qualified for is assumed that it is always discernable by everyone. I assume you have your degree in IT or computer science. So do I.

By chance, because of an internship I was in I was in a job that did not pay enough. Certain things happened and I was fired. I am on social security disability. Part of what occured is this. I did not how one was supposed to obtain an IT job whatsoever. I did not see the bottom and still do not see a bottom. I would start at the bottom but for me it is not transparent. I am not able to discern it nor learn it at all even when I try to read things online. No one will or is able to explain it to me in any kind of depth whatsoever.

What I am missing is something equivalent to a road map, defined terms and a rubric. I am missing the detailed hierarchy is in the workplace and the rules and procedures as to what one must do to go up the hierarchy. In computer science and IT terms I am missing the tree and the leaf nodes to this tree. Apparently most people including most aspies it seems like are able to derive this tree and the leaf nodes. I cannot and I have tried for the three years I have been on social security disability. The problem is I'm only being given some of the parts and I can't derive how these parts fit together.

Maybe my aspergers is more severe than yours I don't know. All I know is I'm in a society that seems to defy any kind of logic that I am able to grasp or understand. From my perspective, I'm just being given jabberwocky. In fact, the chesire cat in Alice in Wonderland makes more sense then American society.

In fact, let me put it to you this way Starkid. It took me 2-3 months to figure out the name of the different IT positions out there. It is like Shrek said. When you have an ounion it is peeling back layers upon layers and the more one peels back the more bizarre it becomes. If this does not tell you or anyone on here that I may be too impaired to work I do not know what will. The logic of our societial standards that are even accepted by aspies makes no sense to me.

For example, I did not know the concept of blaming was wrong in American society in the context of whining and taking no action. The problem even with this is I don't grasp why it is wrong and ignoble. The concepts a lot of people have access to including some aspies I am not able to discern or gain the access and I don't understand the rationale behind these concepts.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2012, 10:13 am

Logicalmom wrote:
How about:

If I can't answer something, please don't make assumptions that I did not do my readings or do not understand the material. Please don't make a comment to this effect in front of the class. I am very diligent and I care deeply about my answers. I am not stupid and I am not lazy.

If you see I would like to answer something, but I am having trouble finding my words, it is nice when you offer to give me a moment and come back to me. I have had this happen and I am grateful when it does. It gives me a moment to gather my thoughts and I feel like I mean something, that what I have to say has value. I feel like an important part of the discussion.

My intelligence is the attribute I value most about myself. My self-esteem is low and sometimes I feel like that is all I have. When you undermine it, I am crushed. I fit in so few places in this world, and it is important to me to feel both capable and valued. I don't mind being wrong when I am truly wrong, this just goes back to the assumptions that I noted at the top of this post. If I fail, I fail and I don't want favors or sympathy. Just please help preserve my dignity and recognize that I have endured a lot to get here and to be here. I am hard enough on myself.

I am fiercely independent and quite frankly I am ambivalent about authority. This means you, teacher. As much as structure can be comforting, it can also come with certain nuances that mean nothing to me or are just plain confusing in an institutional setting. Please forgive my misunderstanding of decorum. I do my best.

:)

I relate to this.