Pew "Media bias" study & horse-race-manship

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 10:17 pm

Josh Voorhees wrote:
To be clear, the negative-positive-mixed trichotomy treats all negative coverage the same. It doesn't tell us whose negative coverage is the most negative in tone, nor does it make any kind of judgment on whether that coverage—be it of Obama or Romney—was journalistically sound. What it does suggest, however, is that MSNBC actually devotes a relatively larger chunk of its political coverage going after Romney than Fox does criticizing the president.

And what about CNN, the most moderate—and least loved—of the cable news trinity?

Quote:
CNN stood between MSNBC and Fox in its treatment of the two candidates but Obama fared markedly better than Romney and better than in the media generally. On CNN, 18% of the stories about Obama were positive compared to 21% negative, a mixed narrative. In Romney's case, negative stories (36%) outnumbered positive (11%) by more than 3-to-1.

However, as with the press studied overall, if one removes horse-race stories from the equation, the tone of coverage of Obama and Romney becomes more comparable. In those stories not framed around the horse race, 13% were positive for Obama compared to 24% negative while 13% were positive for Romney compared to 30% negative.

For comparison, here's how the coverage broke down across the larger cross section of the major media outlets surveyed: For Obama, 19 percent of stories were clearly favorable, compared to 30 percent unfavorable and 51 percent mixed. For Romney, 15 percent of the coverage was favorable, compared to 38 percent unfavorable and 47 percent mixed.
But, as Pew explains, much of that imbalance is the result of the type of horse-race coverage that has come to dominate much of the political news cycle:

Quote:
Throughout the eight-week period studied, a good deal of the difference in treatment of the two contenders is related to who was perceived to be ahead in the race. When horse-race stories-those focused on strategy, tactics and the polls-are taken out of the analysis, and one looks at those framed around the candidates' policy ideas, biographies and records, the distinctions in the tone of media coverage between the two nominees vanish.

With those stories removed from the equation, Obama's positive-negative split was 15 percent to 32 percent, while Romney's was 14 percent to 32 percent.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... gests.html

I honestly don't understand why reporting on facts, like poll results, is somehow a measure of "bias".

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Nov 2012, 12:01 am

As I mentioned in the other thread, polls are hardly 'fact'. There are plenty of inaccurate polls, some bias some just bad methodology.

Honestly, the only poll that matters is the one on election day and anything before is just an educated guess.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 1:16 am

It may not be bias, but I prefer not to know the results of surveys or polls before an election. I make up my own mind how to vote, so they're just a distraction.

What occurs to me is that while they're not biased, they may tend to bias the results of the real election by influencing people who are on the fence to either vote for the predicted winner (people don't like to know they voted for the losing side) or not bother to vote at all.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 2:40 am

Gallup surveys american perceptions of the mainstream media, Democrats have historically felt quite comfortable with the way the media portrays and reports the news. The highest amount of trust that Republicans place in the mainstream media has never even come close to the lowest level of trust that the Democrats have in the media. Majority of Democrats trust mainstream media, 70% of conservatives do not. That is a telling contrast of who the media represents.

Why don't I ever see the WSJ editorial news pieces on CNN and MSNBC? The NYTimes are nicely represented, they are just stated as the NYTimes, but lest a conservative opinion ever crack through the wall of bias that rots Mainstream Media, it is called out as such, "The conservative foundation/news source _________ says the following" ... and immediately rebutted with a liberal(objective) source. The NYTimes are never called liberal, neither is AmericansForTaxFairness or any other left-wing group.

On a side note, the film "media malpractice " covers some of this bias pretty well during the 2008 election, you can watch it instantly on Netflix, or see the entire thing on youtube, and see how the Obama narrative was pitched, and how they destroyed Hillary and Palin in the process.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Nov 2012, 11:23 am

Jacoby wrote:
As I mentioned in the other thread, polls are hardly 'fact'. There are plenty of inaccurate polls, some bias some just bad methodology.

Honestly, the only poll that matters is the one on election day and anything before is just an educated guess.

Just to give an example of an inaccurate poll take a look at latest CNN national poll. It's a 49-49 tie but uses a +11 democrat sampling when in 2008 it was only +7. Do I think Romney will win independents 59-37? No but it seems that CNN is trying to correct this anomaly by raising their sampling of democrats.

http://twitchy.com/2012/11/04/cnn-poll- ... absurdity/