Where do you sit in a crowded train?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm

I usually just sit on the main floor. I feel more uncomfortable sitting up on the mezzanine than from sitting next to someone else. Though being next to the window is nice too. Luckily for me most commuter trains I take are rather quiet and people keep to themselves, even if it isn't the quiet car.

Though I do like the privacy of sitting up in the mezzanine facing forward when I'm reading a book.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 6:06 pm

i scour the whole train for two / four empty seats together, then if i'm unsuccessful, sit next to anyone. I really have no preference. I did an 8 hour flight next to screaming fidgity small kids with no problem. It's all about the Mp3 player 8)

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 9:50 am

bucephalus wrote:
i scour the whole train for two / four empty seats together, then if i'm unsuccessful, sit next to anyone. I really have no preference. I did an 8 hour flight next to screaming fidgity small kids with no problem. It's all about the Mp3 player 8)

UGH that is WHY I hate flying. Too bad there isn't a no child airplane. I did sit in first class one time and there was a screaming kid behind me. It's like shut up! It's worse enough to bring a screaming child on a long flight. Imagine US to Asia! :evil: :x

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 4:40 pm

Standing next to the window.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 10:59 pm

Front car, Very front Vestiuble, Where I can see out the front window

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:45 pm

Simple - WHERE is a free space. Otherwise, near windows.

JPanzer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:54 pm

Anywhere.
On the London Underground anytime/National Rail lines during peak times, I prefer to stand. I did however spend a packed train from London Victoria home sleeping under one of the little tables the BR Class 377s have opposite the luggage rack by the carriage connector.
I really didn't need to go in so much detail there... :roll:

Scourgething
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2012, 11:59 am

At the center of the train at a small lone spot because i can sit somewhere without some obnoxious dolt with a mohawk and "obey" cap tapping at his Iphone with a slacked jaw.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 11:41 am

I'd pick a seat next to a clean-looking, slim, professional-looking male person, if that's available, because it would be least uncomfortable.

I always avoid seats close to noisy kids, babies, troublesome-looking people, dirty people, smelly people, groups that talk loudly, people whose music is audible, people who cough/sneeze/snuffle etc. I sometimes actually change to a different carriage to keep away from those people.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 11:50 am

I actually take the first vacant seat I find. These days, I'm not as bothered anymore about it as I used to be. I just sit down, and let my mind wander off into my favourite songs to distract myself from the noise around me, but not too much so that I don't pass my stop.

When I'm in a bad mood, I'll stand, preferably in the part of the wagon that's closest to the exit. Usually, there's not all that many people standing there, and with some luck you can even find some of the little fixed seats vacant.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

I'd stand in the vestibule with a video camera.

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2013, 2:16 pm

I would rather stand, but if I must sit, I will sit by the quietest person I can find, preferrably with a window view so I can put on my noise cancelling headset and just watch the scenery go by while imagining I am not on a crowded train.

If all window seats are taken, I sit/stand as close as I can to the door.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

I do not sit on trains; I prefer to stand to close to the door to avoid losing time when I arrive at my destination.

I sit on buses, however. If there is a seat in the back (my favorite place, since I can view the whole bus and all of the windows), I will take it regardless of who is sharing it with me. If there are no seats in the back, I will take the first one I see.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:25 pm

I sit on my suitcase. It's perfectly fine by me.

I am much more bothered by a dirty train than a crowded train.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 1:54 am

Somewhere where I don't have to make bodily contact with the person next to me.

If that's not an option, I stand near the door so I can get off readily.