Where do you sit in a crowded train?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:35 pm

You enter a train, and you don't have a seat reservation. All the seats where you could sit alone are taken, so you have to sit next to someone.

How do you choose?

My ideal seat neighbor is male, 30–50 years old and busy reading a book.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:38 pm

Facing forward, a two seater with noone facing me, no kids or teenagers nearby, no rowdy groups of people, quiet people, woman aged 40 upwards preferably, reading or listening to music.

When I used to get trains regularly I would book a seat, but often wouldn't take it, because the booked seats tended to be surrounded by other booked seats, and sometimes other carriages were much quieter.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2012, 6:57 pm

Next to the slimmest person - train seats are so small!

And not next to the man with his legs spread.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:57 pm

I stand.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Dec 2012, 8:14 pm

I'd sit next to the quietest person on the train.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:51 pm

I haven't been on a train for awhile but if I do I try to sit where the train is moving forward I don't like sitting when it is going backwards (I'm funny about that) :oops:

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:56 pm

None of them - I'd rather stand and have a little more personal space

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 11:58 pm

Someone that doesn't look sick.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 1:44 am

I don't take the train.

If I did, if I were going with someone else, I would most likely sit next to said person - otherwise, I'd stand and ask someone to tap my shoulder when we get to my station, because I'll be using music to drown out the audial hell.

Author/Writer

Martens
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2012, 2:48 am

I usually kamikaze myself into the crowd of a busy train so I'm sure I fit. And then try my hardest to survive and keep my feet on the ground. Sometimes the trains are so busy you kinda get pushed up in the way that you aren't touching the ground.

http://www.meidenblog.nl/wp-content/upl ... -trein.jpg
Like that, and the worst thing about it. All those people go into that train. ALL of them.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 5:24 am

I sit next to the person with the smallest derriere and with the least bags and also opposite someone who has not previously been sitting with their shoes on the seat. I'll also try to get one in a position with the sun behind me, not shining in my face. Other than that, I'd be glad there was actually a seat available. Usually, I get trains outwith peak hours and my station is the end of the line, for many journeys, so I have my pick of the seats.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 5:43 am

As far away as possible from noisy young children and screaming babies - the sound drives me insane. Given a choice I prefer to sit at the back of the carriage, looking forward. I tend to pick people to sit next to who look quiet and who have their head buried in a book.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 6:53 am

i go for the seat closest to the door, so that i don't have to worry about someone nabbing it before i get there, and so that i can get off without having to bustle past hordes of people.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 9:16 am

A window seat if at all possible. If not, one near the exit.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 9:22 am

Ugh how I wish the subways here would have a quiet car. That would make it so much easier. So many people have their music turned on so loud! I shouldn't be hearing their music from their headphones! I have to sit facing sideways. I get very motion sickness especially when sun hits my face at full blast. I wish there were curtains on the trains too. I like Acela if and when I need to go to NYC. At least they have a quiet car! I remember one time this mom brought her brat and the conductor told her to go to another car since the car I was in is quiet. But there was one time that there was an elderly couple talking so loud yet no one told them to leave! UGH! people read signs!

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 2:18 pm

Anywhere as long as I'm facing backwards.