Is anyone else interested in forming an Aspie Union?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are you interested in joining?
Yes 49%  49%  [ 22 ]
No 51%  51%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 45

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 11:33 am

Since the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, the AS community is more threatened than ever. For many of us, AS has now become our master status which supersedes all other traits. Things will only get worse for us if we don't organize to campaign for our rights and needs. If we are to ever see improvement, we must put aside our differences to pursue the common goals that we all share. It is estimated that there are millions of Aspies worldwide. If we try hard enough, I believe we can create a truly world changing movement. Who's with me? Who would like to be one of the first to take part in this potentially world changing movement?

I will be using the poll feature to keep track of our current number of enlistees. If or when the number gets high enough, then it will be time to nominate a leader or leaders.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

The teachers at Sandy Hook belong to a union.

6 of them are now dead.

Being in a union did not protect them.

Being in a union will not protect us.

Forming an Aspie union is a stupid idea.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2012, 12:00 pm

It is a fantastic idea and it can do no harm.

i say lets do it. count me in

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm

What common goals we all share? I don't think we all have the same goals, wants or needs...so I suppose I don't see much sense in it.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2012, 12:07 pm

I ignore the mass media, and this is another reason why - they have to fill their 24/7 news cycle, and they just start babbling and speculating to fill dead air time. This guy obviously had a lot more problems than autism. If he had been left handed, would all left handed people suddenly be held in suspicion? People who wear glasses?

The good news is that in a week or two, this will be totally forgotten. After all, the Superbowl is coming up. The mass media always moves on to something else.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 1:57 pm

Only if it's exclusively online since I don't socialize.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 5:30 pm

I can see the merits in an Aspie Strike; no IT support, transport grinds to a halt, popular performers cancel concerts, no marching bands for football games just to scratch the surface. Sit back and let the rest of the world turn even more "Lord Of The Flies". So what do we demand: no tech support without a guaranteed minimum of 3 dating prospects a week? No new apps written until the music and lighting in stores are reduced by 50 percent? Sounds like a good start

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:57 pm

^ You over-estimate the number of Aspies involved in tech and I.T.

A general Aspie strike would not have as much of an effect as you might wish. Of the 20-odd people on my staff, there may be only one or two others (besides me) who might be Aspies - one is our net-guru, and the other works with security. Neither of them is indispensable, especially our net-guru, who spends most of his work day covering his own tracks from downloading pr0n.

If the three of us went on strike, it would still be business as usual.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2012, 8:07 pm

"aspie union" sounds almost as unlikely as "military intelligence"... so that's a "no" from me.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2012, 8:12 pm

Well at least along those lines. With the incidents in the news, I believe more employers are going to pull the kneejerk reaction and "Black List" anyone with autism. They will either not hire you or find an excuse to fire you. I believe there should be a union to protect the rights of workers with autism against discrimination and unfair treatment. Yeah, I know the Department of Labor is "Supposed" to cover this. But, I don't think they have the resources.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:15 pm

I believe that the OP was using "union" as an association, movement, or group, not as a "labor union".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:16 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
I believe that the OP was using "union" as an association, movement, or group, not as a "labor union".

In that case, I'd like to see the OP confirm or deny this assumption and elaborate on his original concept.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:24 pm

Autistic working rights would be part of the movement, but it would focus on other issues as well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

Mike1 wrote:
Autistic working rights would be part of the movement, but it would focus on other issues as well.

Elaborate, please?

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mike1 wrote:

Elaborate, please?

It would be a group that would fight for Autistic rights and needs in general. I haven't figured out how this going to work yet. I was just planning on building the union, watching it take on of life of it's own, and seeing what happens.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:34 pm

Mike1 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mike1 wrote:
Elaborate, please?
It would be a group that would fight for Autistic rights and needs in general. I haven't figured out how this going to work yet. I was just planning on building the union, watching it take on of life of it's own, and seeing what happens.

Do we really need another 'Autism Speaks'?