Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 6:15 am

David Thweatt, superintendent of the 103-student Harrold Independent School District in Wilbarger County, said his teachers are armed and ready to protect their young charges.

Thweatt is the architect of “The Guardian Plan,” a blueprint for arming school staff, including teachers, that may be catching on, at least in the Lone Star state. Teachers there are allowed to have weapons in the classroom, as Thweatt's faculty members do, but State Attorney General Greg Abbott suggested Monday that lawmakers may consider ways to encourage the practice statewide.

"Bearing arms whether by teachers and guards and things like that will be all a part of more comprehensive policy issues for the legislature to take up in the coming weeks," Abbott said. "And you can be assured in the aftermath of what happened in Connecticut that these legislators care dearly about the lives of students at their schools and they will evaluate all possible measures that are necessary to protect those lives," he said.

Each Guardian must obtain a Texas conceal-and-carry permit, and must lock-and-load their weapons with “frangible” bullets that break apart when colliding with a target. “They go through people,” assured Thweatt.

“They’re very similar to what the air marshals use. The bullets are glued together with polymers, and we insist upon them because we don’t want the bullet to ricochet off a wall after it’s fired and hit a child.”

Thweatt says parents have embraced The Guardian Plan, a fact evidenced by the transfer rate into his school district. “We’re a high-transfer district,” he told FoxNews.com, “which means only 18 percent of students come to the school because they live in the district. The rest transfer in or choose to come here from other districts.”

It's about time.

megahertz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2012, 6:59 am

That's so stupid! Every aggressor would shoot the teacher first.

Does violence in the American society really increase? I cannot know, I'm in Europe. But if it does, arming more people is counterproductive. Guns may help to defend for a while, until everybody is armed. Then everybody will need bigger, faster, more-deadly guns to defend against the people with normal guns. But soon everybody will have those bigger, faster, more-deadly guns... and so on... and so on... but they'll never find out:

What complex of social changes causes the increase of violence in the USA?

As long as nobody seriously tries to find out what is happening in your culture, you cannot do anything. Do you want a whole war equipment around every classroom? Fine, that will teach your children that violence is the solution to everything. Surveillance, control, counter-aggression, surveillance, control, counter-aggression ... the solution to every social/cultural problem, great, that's your future. Have a lot of fun!

Sadly, if you go on like that, one day you might need foreign historians to find out what the h*ll is happening in the American culture right now that makes young people more and more aggressive?

You don't have a problem of more/less guns. You have a complex set of social and cultural problems that nobody wants to see.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 7:14 am

I too think arming teachers is a really bad idea, an totally impractical from a suitability standpoint.

However, because of the rise in popularity of school shootings increasing security at schools may be necessary for the time being. Some schools in our area already have local police stationed on the school campuses every day.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 7:37 am

I think hiring a couple of uniformed security guards per school that can be funded by local councils or something would be a sensible way to go that may just be one of the only ways that will have any effect. State or Federal police might create a sense of "police state", whereas security guards [whom have the same training] aren't seen as such.

They can sit in their own little station, monitoring approaches and whatnot, and responding to an active threat (each with a personal vest and defensive handgun in addition to possibly having a long arm of some form in a locked safe in said station); it's been shown that confronting these individuals with force can stop them in their tracks and also stop it from becoming worst. They can hopefully contain the threat until the state police and/or whatnot arrive.

It'll create jobs, it'll create genuine safety, and teachers can best focus on teaching rather than worrying about possible combat.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 8:43 am

http://newsthump.com/2012/12/15/us-nati ... n-schools/

Why not just ban schools? Makes as much sense!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 8:50 am

Marcia wrote:
Why not just ban schools? Makes as much sense!

I don't think schools will be banned, but I wonder if more people will start homeschooling because of this.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 9:27 am

Any school employee with a CCW should be permitted to carry a concealed handgun on their person.
The idea of frangible bullets is a sound decision as well.
In a nutshell no school should be a "gun free" zone.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 9:50 am

Dillogic wrote:
I think hiring a couple of uniformed security guards per school that can be funded by local councils or something would be a sensible way to go that may just be one of the only ways that will have any effect. State or Federal police might create a sense of "police state", whereas security guards [whom have the same training] aren't seen as such.

Security guards with training? Where is it that trains their security guards?

If you see a security guard with the training of the state or federal police, then the security guard is a retired state or federal police officer or he was fired from being a state or federal police officer for cause.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 9:56 am

I tend to concur with that opinion. How many of those kids would be in therapy, instead of in the morgue, if there had been just one competent armed guard in Sandy Hook school?? I know an armed guard would intimidate me...

...but at the same time I'd feel a hell of a lot better sending my kids to school. I wouldn't be poring through my stack of homeschool materials with renewed determination to make it work, executive functioning deficits or no.

In other thoughts...

http://www.armstrongmywire.com/news/rea ... wed&page=1

They thought I was nuts when I taught my kids, "Get down, get out, get help." Like, "Stop, drop, and roll." They said I was paranoid. They said it was inappropriate. They said I'd scar them for life.

Really?? Three little words. First word: You. Second word: Were. Third word: Right.

The banning schools thing is satire-- but then I hate the school system anyway as I think it diffuses responsibility and weakens the family unit. And I do sadly wonder if this will be the event that persuades my damnfool relatives to help me work out a homeschooling program instead of just squalling that I'm shortchanging the kids by even thinking about it.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 10:08 am

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Some schools in our area already have local police stationed on the school campuses every day.

Now this is a smart move. Are the police actively working with schools, involvement in school grounds on school rules as well? Truancy, Bullying & Drugs would all be effectively lowered or stopped completely for both the benefits of pupil and teacher.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 2:03 pm

/\ /\
Yes, some schools around here have cops assigned. That is a very good defense as long as police department (or school) budgeting allows for it.
If things get tight that could be the first thing they cut from the budget depending on who's decision it is.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 2:35 pm

The notion which seems most sensible and obvious to the rest of the world, fewer rather than more guns? No, not an option? More and more guns, that'll fix it?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

Marcia wrote:
The notion which seems most sensible and obvious to the rest of the world, fewer rather than more guns? No, not an option? More and more guns, that'll fix it?

It takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun.
There will always be guns, though.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 3:22 pm

There's always the possibility that one of those teachers could snap and start killing students. Only one of them would have to snap, and a number of kids would be killed before anyone would be able to get there to stop them. I wouldn't suggest arming teachers with lethal weapons, but maybe tranquilizer dart guns.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 3:24 pm

I can't see arming teachers as working AT ALL. Perhaps (and that is a very remote perhaps) you could deter one school shooting every 50 years, but at what cost in the way of accidental shootings? When there are guns, accidents happen, just like when there are cars, accidents happen. Not to mention, what about mixed messages to kids?

Security guards are different, but even then I'd want to see statistics.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 3:38 pm

Didn't start the incident with a school teacher with three weapons in her house, with at least one semi-automatic...

Maybe a metal detector with a guard would be more useful, also blocks people with knives.