I feel pain when other people touch me

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2013, 7:55 am

Do this ever happen to you?
I frequently feel pain when other people touch me. I remembered about this just yesterday. I was talking to my sensei, and at a certain point she put her hand on my shoulder. I didn't scream because I expected it, since I saw her arm moving towards me, and when I expect it I usually can bear it. But it has been very painful, since I hadn't been touched from a person out of my family from 2 weeks. However, I was able to bear it, since it lasted just for a few seconds. I just trembled a bit. The pain I feel when someone touches me is like feeling needles that sting my flesh. Or however, this is what's more like it.
Do you ever feel pain when other people touch you, too?

batwing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm

Hi Kari96, my son has the exact same problem, it drives him mad especially if he's in a crowd and can't judge where the touch is coming from. He wears a pressure vest which helps or presses the accupunture point between his thumb and forefinger, this relieves it slightly but doesn't eliminate it. I've heard that anything which releases endorphins can help. At the moment I'm looking at trying low dose naltrexone, to see if it helps. I've heard a lot of good reports about it for many conditions.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

I get an itchy, crawling-flesh sensation.

I have to scrub pretty hard to get rid of it.

After being touched, I keep feeling "ghost touches" and it gets me completely out of sorts.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2013, 6:26 pm

my younger brother (also an aspie) used to complain that being tickled caused him intense pain.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 6:30 pm

Sometimes. I just pull away when it happens. Rather it hurts or not, I still pull away. I also feel I am being strangled or smothered and that my persona space is being invaded.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm

Kairi96 wrote:
Do this ever happen to you?
I frequently feel pain when other people touch me. I remembered about this just yesterday. I was talking to my sensei, and at a certain point she put her hand on my shoulder. I didn't scream because I expected it, since I saw her arm moving towards me, and when I expect it I usually can bear it. But it has been very painful, since I hadn't been touched from a person out of my family from 2 weeks. However, I was able to bear it, since it lasted just for a few seconds. I just trembled a bit. The pain I feel when someone touches me is like feeling needles that sting my flesh. Or however, this is what's more like it.
Do you ever feel pain when other people touch you, too?

How do you handle it other times when the sensei has to touch you, or if you do sparring? Karate is a very physical contact sport (or can be at times) whether it is a sensei trying to teach you, or sparring classes.

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2013, 10:51 pm

Not pain but I just don't like it. It's hard to describe the feeling.

You are very likely an Aspie

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 10:53 pm

I do not feel physical pain, but it is an uncomfortable feeling, which upsets me.

XFilesGeek wrote:
After being touched, I keep feeling "ghost touches" and it gets me completely out of sorts.

Yes, exactly this. The smaller the touch, the more "ghost touches" I have to endure, this is why I hate when some stupid fly decides to sit on my arm.
I also think hugs are unnerving and uncomfortable if I am not prepared or do not know the person too well. Apart from that, I need pressure when hugged. For some reason, it's the small touches that bother me, I like certain forms of pressure though.

And as League_Girl mentioned, it's like my personal space is being invaded, depending on my mood and how often it happened a day, it can happen I feel the urge to yell at the person to stop that, I never do though.
I still suffer from "do not stick out from the mass too much"-itis, so I suppress certain things and just try to endure them. :roll:

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:38 am

Chloe33 wrote:
How do you handle it other times when the sensei has to touch you, or if you do sparring? Karate is a very physical contact sport (or can be at times) whether it is a sensei trying to teach you, or sparring classes.

I don't know how Kairi96 handles it, but I do karate too, and I can handle it because I can bear only deep touches, but I hate when someone grazes me, or hughs me. Most of the touches you get in karate are deep, you will rarely be grazed, and, at least in my case, when the sensei has to correct your position, will use a deep touch. But that's just my case, it could change from person to person.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 9:04 am

Gladly, I don't, but I do get extremely uncomfortable when people touch me without warning, such as a hug or a touch on the shoulder. I'm pretty hypersensitive when it comes to tactile sensations, especially when it comes to pain. However, not nearly as bad as that.

prettygalatus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2016, 3:48 pm

My mum doesn't understand me and thinks I'm just a selfish person. So I have to hug a lot of people and my senses sort of overload. But today was the biggest one, I feel like I'm still being touched, I have a massive headache, my temperature is rising and my senses are all over the place. I just wanted to know if it's very bad? If so, is there any low key stuff I could do to avoid or push through the pain?

Thanks.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 9:51 am

I don't feel pain but I cannot tolerate pressure, which is what I feel physically when touched, to the point where my brain perceives being touched as being crushed, and transmits a threat response. I also feel a complete sense of psychological invasion as others have said, and I get an immediate irresistible sense of nononono that I have to get away from. Can't abide being touched.

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2016, 3:20 pm

Omg same thing happens to me! For some reason I never realized it was an aspie trait! But it sucks bc I get that feeling when people I love touch me....and not strangers.....like when I'm upset and my husband touches my shoulder, or when I was angry and my mom did the same thing, pat my back or touched my shoulder. Also when older people touch me....idk why I just get this strong burning icky sensation....it's more sad than weird to me.... I wish I didn't get that. Does anyone know WHY our bodies react that way?

Toadsgurl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2016, 9:03 pm

Me too!! I dislike the soft touch, and do not like a touch from people I do not know. My children and grandchildren have learned to simply kiss my forehead, and I like to hug them, but it truly hurts to be touched softly, or too hard. Wouldn't it be wonderful to find out why!?!

INTPnarwhal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2016, 1:22 am

This is called tactile defensiveness. It is extremely common for aspies to have sensory processing difficulties. My SPD mainly manifests in my hearing.

XFilesGeek wrote:
I get an itchy, crawling-flesh sensation.

I have to scrub pretty hard to get rid of it.

I experience the quoted phenomenon only with my younger (by 2 1/2 years) sister, who has always been horrible toward me. I always get an uncontrollable urge to "wipe" the touch away right afterward. I don't understand it and I feel bad about it.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2016, 7:19 am

I don't feel pain from it, just feels like bugs crawling on the skin. Someone who knows me knows to let me know they are going to touch me.