Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

meems
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 3:57 pm

I don't remember where I read this tip, but when I ask someone their name, when they respond with their first name I say 'oh no, I meant your last name.' and usually they seem relieved.

Does anyone else do this(and feel like an awful liar?) or have any tips for remembering names?

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm

I'm usually pretty good with names, but in the event I don't, I usually say "Sorry, I know we've met before, but I don't remember your name" or I usually make a gesture of thinking (hand on forehead, eyes squinting) and say something like "Remind me of your name!". Hope that helps :)

Then I have done my job

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 5:34 pm

I am very poor with names and putting names to faces nor able to describe someone their facial features by their name. Though I am learning a technique of putting nicknames to people based on other features, including written notes to jog the long term memory in an attempt to store the information the long term memory. Over time, it is not usually a problem, unless said person changes often.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

i have simply accepted the fact that i am bad with names, and found out that many others are too.
if i meet someone in a situation where i think we'd meet again, i already apologise after hearing the name with something along the lines of "sorry, but i'm bad with names, i'll probarbly forget yours in minutes".
then, if i meet them again, i start with a "sorry, i know we met before, but i forgot your name".
this is considered common and is forgiven easily, as long as you dont forget more then 3 orso times.
after 3 times, i know them good enough to work around not knowing their name, and eventually, i'd find out again and remember after that, it's been enough times

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 10:10 pm

ha I forget people names too. I always call guys ''jimmy'' and ladies ''misty'' or ''linda''