Does Autism have some distinct facial features?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

You know I don't think it has a look. I do not look anything like those people, and I doubt we had childhood resemblance.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:38 am

stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:
There's something about Heather Kuzmich's picture that makes it obvious that she has Autism, but I don't know what it is.

You serious? She just looks baked to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 5:47 am

Mirror21 wrote:
You know I don't think it has a look. I do not look anything like those people, and I doubt we had childhood resemblance.

I don't look anything like those people either. I just look ordinary. In fact I look mostly like people on my dad's side of the family (they're all NTs).

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 8:03 am

People realize I'm not "typical" because of several particulars of my appearance, but not because of my facial features. I have the normal facial features of a female of my age, some people say I look a bit younger, but that's not a rare, or uncommon, thing.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 7:55 am

That article is just horrendously written though. In the original study at least they explained how to read the lines.

http://www.molecularautism.com/content/pdf/2040-2392-2-15.pdf wrote:
"Results of Euclidean Distance Matrix Analysis analyses
of landmark coordinate data collected from 3dMD images.

White lines are statistically significantly increased in boys with
autism spectrum disorder (ASD), and black lines are statistically
significantly reduced in boys with ASD relative to typically
developing (TD) boys."

"Illustration of linear distances highly correlated with
eigenscores on the first two principal axes of the principal
coordinates analysis results.

(A) Subgroup 1 morphology. (B) Subgroup 2 morphology. Black lines are increased in boys in the
subgroup, and white lines are reduced in boys in the subgroup."

Results
First, we found that there are significant differences in facial morphology in boys with ASD compared to typically developing boys. Second, we also found two subgroups of boys with ASD with facial morphology that differed from the majority of the boys with ASD and the typically developing boys. Furthermore, membership in each of these distinct subgroups was correlated with particular clinical and behavioral traits.

Conclusions
Boys with ASD display a facial phenotype distinct from that of typically developing boys, which may reflect alterations in the prenatal development of the brain. Subgroups of boys with ASD defined by distinct facial morphologies correlated with clinical and behavioral traits, suggesting potentially different etiologies and genetic differences compared to the larger group of boys with ASD. Further investigations into genes involved in neurodevelopment and craniofacial development of these subgroups will help to elucidate the causes and significance of these subtle facial differences.

Lodelar wrote:
Considering that most of us seem to wear glasses, according to this poll: wrongplanet. net/postt154893.html

It makes sense that we also have wider eyes because eyes that are short-sighted are bigger: ssc.education.ed.ac. uk/resources/vi&multi/eyeconds/myop.html

Coincidentally, the reconstruction of the Neanderthal child fits the description.

[Note: I had to put a space in the URLs because I cannot post links yet.]

Wider doesn't mean bigger (even though they might be that too). I think they are speaking of horizontal length.

It matches this reconstruction too :D
Don't know why they made her look angry and dirty...

Last edited by Anomiel on 23 Jan 2013, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:45 am

We do seem to have more androgynous facial features... paper here.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 9:05 am

Rascal77s wrote:

I've seen a few topics on here where people posted that people thought they looked high when they weren't. I've had people think that about me before when I was younger.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have an NT uncle who looked like Mick Avory before he lost all his hair. I look like Mick and I'm an Aspie. As I see it, people on the spectrum end up looking like one of their relatives or another.

People ON THE SPECTRUM?????????????

ALL people tend to look like their relatives!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:36 pm

As it's believed there are a variety of autism conditions all caused by different genes, it doesn't make sense that there would be one autistic morphology making a particular face. What probably makes more sense is individual feature morphology such as posteriorly rotated ears, flat malar region, types of epicanthal folds and others that have been found.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 11:44 pm

Only the good looking ones.

Shizz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

I have a really big bony forehead. :?

Shizz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2013, 11:56 pm

hanyo wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

I've seen a few topics on here where people posted that people thought they looked high when they weren't. I've had people think that about me before when I was younger.

I look high too most of the time and I don't smoke weed. I look high like that, not like I'm drunk or on meth.

Shizz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2013, 12:03 am

I do facials for work and my clients that have bony foreheads are more logical, the bigger the forehead the more hard nosed they are and the ones with a small forehead that is soft are more domestic. This applies to women as I've noticed. The women who have small foreheads that are soft seem to be more at home while the working women have larger foreheads that are bony. Skin type too, the thinner the skin the more intellectual they are and lean more to nerurotic tendencies while the thicker fatter ones are more happy stay home moms. I made up my own theory of personalities based on skin types. They are like clay. You got your red clay which is thick soft and warm, and your white porcelain which is cold and pragmatic and delicate and refined.

This has nothing to do with autism btw, lol. Just my own observation.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 9:14 am

Um, I was criticized quite severely on WP long ago when I wrote about a shortcut that I always take to identify NTs, but never mind, let me mention this shortcut again. I suspect that one reason why I'm so uncomfortable with eye contact is that many NTs have sharp, bright eyes that give them a "lean and hungry look". If you wonder what I'm trying to say, I have included a photo of Barack Obama here because I have always thought that his eyes best exemplify the "lean and hungry look".

[img][800:1024]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/Icyfire_4w5/President_Official_Portrait_HiRes_zpsc4aa3330.jpg[/img]

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 9:46 am

Alright, I have gathered some info from various Chinese websites about face-reading. In my honest opinion, face reading is pseudo-science rather than science.

Wide forehead: You are intelligent because your brain is always working hard. You are forgiving. You are full of ideas but you rarely translate these ideas into action. You are better off as a leader than as a follower. However, you have a tendency to misinterpret wise advice as nonsense. You are flirtatious.

Wide-set eyes: You are interested in learning more about the world around you. You are meek and easygoing. You rarely quarrel with others. However, if your eyes are too wide-set, you tend to be slow, quiet and timid. Sometimes, people might misinterpret your timidity as laziness.

Short middle region: Your face's middle region determines how fortunate your life will be when you are middle-aged (30 years old-50 years old). If your middle region seems overly long or short, then your luck won't possibly be very good when your are middle-aged.

Wide mouth: If you don't show any teeth as long as your lips are closed, your lips aren't slanted to the left or to the right and your teeth are all straight and white, you are brave, decisive, generous and enjoy leading people. If your mouth is wide but you are small and scrawny in size, you have a tendency to blurt out offensive opinions. If your lips are thick, you might be lecherous.

Wide philtrum: You are patient, tolerant and highly interested in learning new things. When you help people, you don't expect them to help you in return. You always speak your mind.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 7:04 pm

icyfire4w5 wrote:
Alright, I have gathered some info from various Chinese websites about face-reading. In my honest opinion, face reading is pseudo-science rather than science.

Wide forehead: You are intelligent because your brain is always working hard. You are forgiving. You are full of ideas but you rarely translate these ideas into action. You are better off as a leader than as a follower. However, you have a tendency to misinterpret wise advice as nonsense. You are flirtatious.

Wide-set eyes: You are interested in learning more about the world around you. You are meek and easygoing. You rarely quarrel with others. However, if your eyes are too wide-set, you tend to be slow, quiet and timid. Sometimes, people might misinterpret your timidity as laziness.

Short middle region: Your face's middle region determines how fortunate your life will be when you are middle-aged (30 years old-50 years old). If your middle region seems overly long or short, then your luck won't possibly be very good when your are middle-aged.

Wide mouth: If you don't show any teeth as long as your lips are closed, your lips aren't slanted to the left or to the right and your teeth are all straight and white, you are brave, decisive, generous and enjoy leading people. If your mouth is wide but you are small and scrawny in size, you have a tendency to blurt out offensive opinions. If your lips are thick, you might be lecherous.

Wide philtrum: You are patient, tolerant and highly interested in learning new things. When you help people, you don't expect them to help you in return. You always speak your mind.

Yeah phrenology got debunked ages ago.

The study that started this thread still need more studies until the claim can be proven accurate. That's why no one can say "Stop! Because I don't think we look any different and this is making me uncomfortable! Based on no research at all to prove that viewpoint either!" If you disagree with anything science says, the solution is more science. Not less. I find it fascinating anyway... But I wonder what the purpose is...