Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AsterickJones
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2013, 8:23 am

Posted this into an Aspergers Facebook Group, my view of what "sucks" about the "mainstreamers, NT's" world.

"
It's all fundamentally based on hierarchy and oneupmanship, we as "AS" people can't navigate society successfully because we want to do it based on more genuine merit than just beating other people competitively, which is what jobs, finance, the rat race are all about. Perhaps "our" world would be more about scientific endeavour and advances that benefit the human race over profit and people who couldn't even provide that would still be catered for with a basic income as we believe things should be fair, NT's don't really care about that in the main, why else do they so value things like Sport which reflects this "survival of the fittest" mentality?

The most typical common held interests by most NT's dominates society making it very easy for them to see other interests as "weird". Whilst football is held in a state of almost religious like reverence, anyone who collects scores and tables is fully accepted in a social environment like a party, but a train spotter or someone like me who remembers radio station frequencies and Sky channel numbers is labelled "weird". Of course I do know someone with AS who is obsessed with football but overall it holds up as a good example.

You are defined by what you do not who you are, so unless you list the name of your benefit at a party you are left with no way to define yourself."

And there's a further point about how conformism is survival which I could go into depending on the response I get to the thread, one Asperger Group member thought this was too negative although I just enjoy that as sounding off about my frustrations, so what are yours, and do you think the world could actually be a better place if autism logic was running more things? Admittedly we're already seeing that on dominant sites on the internet and it replaces some of the rat race world, but in the physical world itself there seems a much longer way to go.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 8:51 am

I do think some separation would help.

I'd rather live in a world with a better balance,
athere is too much NT and not enuf of us.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 1:09 pm

Everything is about success and failure because we make everything into a competition. Since our value system promotes inferiority, people wish to feel important, and if we set things up in the manner in which you describe, people wouldn't be able to feel important. Our values need to change, but values are about achieving goals. Our goals are shallow and self-centered: wealth, property, power, status, etc. That's how to get ahead in business and turn a profit. So then why do we have business? If there is a more efficient way of managing and distributing goods and services, we can phase out business if we want to, and our goals would then change, as well as our values. Survival of the fittest is only true in a world of scarcity, but abundance is bad for business, so we assume that it's a dog eat dog world.

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2013, 1:44 pm

I don't like the way some things and places are painfully loud for me and yet no one believes me. Where is all this empathy the NTs have when all they have to do is just SHUT UP!?

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:41 am

the empathy explanation that NTs give. I have empathy but it's not like what the therapist thinks it is when she tells someone suffering from depression and suicidal tendencies that they look like "a drug addict"

NT's are some of the cruelest most unkind ppl you will ever meet.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2013, 10:25 am

Capitalism is inescapably linked to technological advance.Since the industrial revolution and even in the seventeenth century Market incentives are what drove scientific achievement.In this framework many Aspergians and suspected Aspergians like Einstien,Tesla, and (I've even heard Bill Gates) have used the existing world order to succeed.So I dont really buy the rat race argument.
However I do not like the idea of a society where you can only have obsessions with certain things like sports.That aspect of human nature that causes a society to outcast those (ASD or not) with different interests than what is considered acceptable is in itself counterproductive.In my view conformity is directly opposed to inovation and therefore success.

Case in point:John C Garand(A possible aspie) creates a functioning self loading rifle that the US issues as standard during the 2nd world War.The shift away from traditional bolt guns that other more conservative countries viewed as just fine for moden combat gave the US a huge advantage over their enemies.Military history is full of these examples.

If your not big into warfare then think of the person that figured out how to hunt with a bow.I garantee that his village thought he was a nut. :wink:

Note: I call Garand a possible aspie because he built an ice rink in his living room.The whole house had to be reinforced to handle the rink.I looked for more clues but found nothing.If not a aspie he sure was eccentric

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 12:03 pm

Of course, there are a lot of obvious things that make life difficult for those of us who are autistic around those who are neurotypical.

For me, it's a lot of the sensory issues, and that when I got into a partial shutdown, people think I'm being rude and do not understand what's going on.

But, we can't go around with a "them and us" mentality. We are people...just like neurotypicals are people....whether we like it or not. Not all neurotypicals are awful, and not all autistics will understand you. I think, while life does suck for autistics among a crowd of NTs (I wholeheartedly agree) I think that sometimes we take it far more personally than we should.

Don't get me wrong - there are some really bad people and ideas out there. But it will help us from an activism standpoint to base our argument on the innate humanity in everyone - that's something they will respond to. Something like: "We are all human, neurotypical or autistic, so let's treat each other as humans."

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 12:42 pm

I share the sentiments of Asterick Jones...natural selection is a bit of an outdated idea for current society. However, it still happens, and the minorities/poor always suffer as a result.

Difference is, unlike most minorities, the people representing us tend to paint a picture of disability rather than a separate but equal one.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

anon0311
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2013, 4:23 pm

Some of them care (The NTs).
Just like WE are not all the same, neither are they. WE duplicate and repeat an equal amount of repetive, negative behaviour as they do; and we repeat history just as much. WE just seem more in touch with the "realization" of it all. Which in and of itself doesnt mean we can or will do anything about it. 8O