(PS3) Looking for a free game? DUST 514 is pretty cool

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ogrejoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2013, 4:52 am

This time posted on the correct forum; yay.
If you are not aware, CCP Games is an Icelandic company that has a Space Exploration MMO called EVE Online. They somewhat recently started working on a new FPS called DUST 514. At the moment, the game is now in open beta and can be downloaded in the PS3 store for the staggeringly expensive price of free. When the game is released, it will also be free. There are some micro-transactions but it equates to minor things like being able to use certain equipment sooner. The gear really isn't better. If you end up playing and liking the game and are willing to spend some real money, there is a Mercenary Pack at the moment that gives some in-game currency, a 30 day skill boost, and some gear. Again, the game can be played just fine if you don't want to spend real world currency.

The cool thing about DUST is that it connects to the EVE MMO. Eventually, players in EVE are going to be able to contract the players in DUST to be able to planets in order for the EVE players to steal them from their enemies. Even without the "Guild versus Guild" (called Corporation Warfare) aspect, there are still quick matches that consist of King of the Hill and Slayer.

Here is why I decided to post this on these forums: DUST and EVE have a much higher thinking aspect for their type of games. DUST and EVE both work with the concept of Skill Points that are earned in real time (1,000 an hour for DUST as well as for playing matches) that are spent on learning how to use equipment or vehicles. This means that there is quite a bit of thinking when it comes to making a character. It is not like Call of Duty where anyone can use an assault rifle or a sniper rifle. If you want to use one of those, you better train in it. Better guns means more specialization. This specialization means that some jerk can't just use a Sniper Rifle and drive a tank and drive a plane and dominant the battlefield in every facet. The combinations of Suits (heavy, scout, logistics/support, and assault), High Powered slots, Lower Powered slots, Equipment slots, and weapon slots means that you can build something that is vastly different than what the other guy has.

The amount of thought that I can put into each one of my suits appeals greatly to me. It is not just 'twitch' shooting. If you out think your opponents, you will have a massive advantage over them. DUST is to Chess what Call of Duty is to Checkers. There is NOTHING wrong with Checkers, but I figured that some of you might like to try out some Chess.

In between lines = Joe nerding out over story. Not important to DUST.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EVE, and DUST by extension, has the best story I have ever seen in any videogame. Here are the four factions:
1. The Amarr Empire. Highly religious zealots that dominate the galaxy. Take the Holy Roman Empire at the height... and add lasers.
2. The Gallente Federation. The only true democracy left in the galaxy. They value personal liberty and freedom. Very similar to fusion of modern day France and USA.
3. The Minmatar Republic. A tribal community of vagabonds that survived enslavement from the Amarr. Imagine a tribalistic society that was a First World Nation.
4. The Caldari State. The smallest of the galactic powers, they flourish with the highest level of technology and by the sheer unstoppable power of their economy. Think stereotypical American corporations with a Samurai's sense of honor, as told by Ayn Rand.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you are interested in playing, use this link: https://dust514.com/recruit/RceSmN/ (My recruitment link)
It will give you a 7-day boost for Skill Points and give you some free starter gear. The game is not nearly as intimidating as it seems, is pretty fun, and is free. Hope to see you playing.

Joseph Ridgeson

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:04 am

This looks really cool. Tried downloading it earlier but I has no space and must delete something. My internet is terrible tho so don't play much anyway. Will try it though

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2013, 4:27 pm

Not bad. Would be nice if they had how to plays.

Ogrejoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2013, 5:10 pm

www.youtube.com/user/CEOPyrex has some walkthroughs and some advice for newer players.

The most important thing is not to think that you will get torn to shreds just because you have less SP than other players. Skill > Positioning > Set-up > Skill Points.

When you first start a character, you are given 250,000 cash and 500,000 skill points to spend where you wish. In the starting screen, you also choose between four different 'starting archetypes.' These will give you different free suits and will spend some of the 500k SP you have. I suggest going as the Enforcer, which is the Assault Rifle mobile infantry type, even if you do not want to do Assault Rifle. It gives you the most versatile Skills to start with and gives you a way to just jump in and learn how to play by shooting people.

If anyone gets into the game, send an in-game mail to Joseph Ridgeson. (psst, it's me)

Ogre.