Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

BSH
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2013, 2:51 pm

It is not a hidden fact that those on the spectrum can at times be vulnerable and may be subject to bullying. In general do you think it is better to advocate for yourself and explain to others that you have been diagnosed on the spectrum or does this backfire? Looking for any advice on how to deal with peers that just don't get what it means to be on the spectrum.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

i think it depends on the age of the people, and i think its hard to tell whether it would backfire or not, you always get some who will use it against you, depends on the individual, i would not really suggest letting the whole school know, it may be difficult because people also gossip.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 3:20 pm

Here is my opinion:

There is social stigma attached to bullying people who are obviously disabled. Most people will not do it, because a peer somewhere is bound to stand up against it.

However, many people on the spectrum are not "obviously" disabled. They are "typical enough." Therefore the kids that might stand up for an obviously disabled kid may not stand up for ours. And although our kids seem "typical enough," they are far from it in terms of being able to identify the intentions of others and respond in an appropriately self-assertive way. They tend to shy away in humiliation, burst into tears, or go into a rage--all of which I think encourage further bullying.

I think there are kids who will bully whether or not the diagnosis is known. But if the diagnosis is known, your kid might get support from some of the kids who will stand up for someone who is disabled.

If disclosure is considered, I would think VERY carefully about the words chosen, however. You wouldn't want to make the person even more vulnerable by painting a picture of weakness.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 4:56 pm

I was bullyed through school, physical, verbel and emotional, starting with grade 1. I had no diagnosis to help me until grade 6/7 so by then it felt like it was too late and after all these years I still don't know what I could have did different to stop it. It was usally the same couple kids starting it and the rest just joined in and they made sure the teacher did not know or had a story to cover. Did not help I could not reconize the actions as bullying and my enotional reactions often included laughing and other wrong emotions that got them out of trouble and me in trouble. I would never have told the whole class anyway or allowed anyone else to, good way to be seen as even more of a freak in the eyes of a bully who will never get the message anyway.

With that said, I wonder if disclorseing to a few (2 or 3) close-ish mature friends of an Aspergers child privately would lead to some useful anti-bully allys for the child, explain the childs ASD and related weakness and why they need to look out for their ASD friend, do it in the princapal's office for example and set up consquances for disclosure to the other kids, the Aspergers child does not have to know about this, good parents can help too.

I did have some friends that would sort of look out for me once I got sort of in the group for awhile and the bully backed off, it only takes 1 or 2 friends of reasonable social stature. Good idea or bad idea? best I can come up with in 23 years of life.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 4:58 pm

BSH wrote:
It is not a hidden fact that those on the spectrum can at times be vulnerable and may be subject to bullying. In general do you think it is better to advocate for yourself and explain to others that you have been diagnosed on the spectrum or does this backfire? Looking for any advice on how to deal with peers that just don't get what it means to be on the spectrum.

With the way some people are viewing ASD's now, it could easily backfire and make things worse. I don't think anyone can give you a good answer though because it's entirely up to you and what you think you can handle.

Best of luck.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

I was always bullied at school and had no friends at all. Plus, None of the teachers gave a s**t. This was of course back in the 1980's and I don't think anybody had ever herd of asperger back then.

That not to say that I didn't have creative ways of getting back. But even with all the "get even" stuff it did. It still was never fully satisfying since my enemies never knew who did it.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm

I posted this on another thread minutes ago, Aspergers gave me a high pain threshold and the abillity to go non verbel in these types of phyical situations and that was what finally ended the phyical part of the bullying. After 7 years I learned how to use it to make me look tough and embearious the bully eventhough I was still just an emotionaly unstable clumsy weakling of a child.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 10:35 pm

I think it can backfire because AS is a hidden disability and because you look normal, they can now tease you about having it. Or it may not do nothing for you because they may not care and still continue to bully you and give you a hard time about your traits. Or you could luck out and you have a better understanding and more people back off.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:18 am

I honestly don't know. I do know that nobody ever made fun of those who were disabled physically or mentally or made fun of race (at least in Jr. High) and were helpful and supportive but to me it was fair game. I suspect my teacher did say something to my class when I wasn't around because some kids did sincerely apologize one day.... and the next week it got bad again.

I would say since it's not a "obvious disability" kids would have a field day with it but hey, you never know. I was at rock bottom so it couldn't have hurt me much anyway. I still think if I were to follow through with a formal diagnosis that people would just consider it another 'excuse to be lazy' and that it's not a 'real' condition. For example, when I casually mention I might be on the spectrum to those who know Autism, they will usually respond my saying "oh, everyone has autism" just as many said "everyone gets bullied". BS!

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 1:23 pm

AS isn't really hidden for all of us, it just looks more like were "slow" or mentally not all there or as some still say "retarted" as opposed to genuinely disabled, In school there was a girl in a wheelchair with bad CP and they left her alone even pityed her, but I was fair game becouse my learning issues, speech issues, emotional issues and cordination issues wern't bad or phyical enough to qualify as disabled in the bullys eyes. I would actually consider myself and most other autistics a visable minority for the reasons above, it can be seen if you look for it.

Last edited by rapidroy on 11 Feb 2013, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 4:58 pm

BSH wrote:

It could go either way, completely depending on the people you tell, how they react and even how they react that day.

InThisTogether wrote:
There is social stigma attached to bullying people who are obviously disabled. Most people will not do it, because a peer somewhere is bound to stand up against it.

It's really not that simple. Obvious disability can make you a target.
http://www.equalanddiverse.co.uk/im-spat-at-every-day/
Quote:
A major report, Hidden in Plain Sight, has just been published which has highlighted the daily hell which many people endure by being disabled in Britain today.
The report by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), is the most detailed study yet into abuse faced by disabled people. The Report interviewed over 350 individuals and dozens of police and local authority officers.

It found that while some particularly serious offences attracted national attention, these are “the tip of the iceberg”, and that for many, low-level abuse or worse are so endemic that many consider them inevitable.

I remember well the words of one forty year old man who had Downs Syndrome. “Every day someone spits at me or shouts at me when I am out. Why?”

It has become part and parcel of my work on disability and learning disability in particular to hear such accounts. We are as a society woefully intolerant of difference but all the more so when an individuals physicality or mental difference challenges what we consider ‘normal’.
The Report examined and mentioned ten horrific cases only a handful of which led to criminal cases and action being taken by the authorities. On the whole the Report summarises what it describes as a “collective denial” among police, government and other public bodies.
This in action, the tendency to encourage the disabled to accept low level criminality came to a head in 2009. In that year, Fiona Pilkington killed herself and her severely disabled teenage daughter in a burning car after enduring years of abuse verbal and physical assaults and torment from youths at their home in Leicestershire.

The Introduction of the Report summarises the insidious nature of harassment against the disabled in Britain today:
“In the worst cases, people were tortured. And apparently just for fun. It’s as though the perpetrators didn’t think of their victims as human beings. It’s hard to see the difference between what they did, and baiting dogs.
“The really serious cases catch the headlines. But what about the constant drip, drip, nag, nag of the so-called ‘low-level’ harassment that many disabled people face on a daily basis? It ruins their lives. They don’t have the confidence to go out. It undermines their ability to be part of society. It makes them behave differently.”

Somewhere in your community today someone is getting dressed to go out with friends, go to the sport centre or shopping. Somewhere someone because they have a difference if disability us dressing themselves to be prepared for the shouts and laughter, the bullying and harrassment, the spitting and demeaning. And what of you and I, what of the police and authorities ? Well the Report makes several recommendations which I hope will be implemented but for society we have a huge amount of work to do before we can deserve to be called inclusive, accepting and humane.

Dr Donald Macaskill

I'm targeted for looking different and for sending out something I don't know what, but the wrong type pick it up immediately.
A woman in my neighborhood has CP, very visible CP, you cannot mistake her for anything else, and she's been harassed a lot by children and teenagers. They have even rammed her deliberately with their skateboards. :(

InThisTogether wrote:
I think there are kids who will bully whether or not the diagnosis is known. But if the diagnosis is known, your kid might get support from some of the kids who will stand up for someone who is disabled.

And might feel even worse off for it, even if someone helps. "I'm such a pathetic loser they have to stick up for little ret*d."
I felt worse when someone thought I needed help, and this was years before any diagnosis..

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 5:04 pm

I was never exactly bullied at school, but I still had a few rough times with people. One girl in my class had a sibling who was so severely Autistic that he had to go to a special school, then had to go into 24 hour care after he got to about 10 because his mum just could not handle him (he began getting highly aggressive). So this girl was aware of Autism, and my mum and her mum became friendly with each other and obviously this girl knew I had Asperger's Syndrome. But when we were about 10, this girl told all the other girls that I had it, so from then on, practically the whole class knew I had this label, and I didn't like it. (I don't know if all the boys knew). The other girls either spoke to me like I was a baby, or they would yell at me when I tried to just join in. I could tell most of them didn't really like me, all because I had this cruel disability what I didn't ask to have. Completely insensitive!

Also I had a few teachers pick on me, like show me up in front of the class when I done my work slightly wrong, or shout at me when they thought I wasn't paying attention. When I was little, I used to daydream when the teacher was just standing there talking the whole time. Or I used to start playing with my hands or my hair, and feeling really bored and fidgety, which always made the teacher shout. But when other kids looked like they weren't paying attention, she never yelled at them, just almost praised them up or make a joke out of it. I hate teachers like that. Even then I knew she had favourites, and I wasn't her favourite.

Yes, school was pretty s**t. I know I didn't get horribly bullied, I still got teased a few times, and rejected SO MANY times, and singled out or picked on. No wonder I'm so depressed and wallowing in self-hatred now.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 10:14 am

Skilpadde wrote:
It's really not that simple. Obvious disability can make you a target.
http://www.equalanddiverse.co.uk/im-spat-at-every-day/

I'm shocked to hear that but I guess things are completely different in certain areas of the world (I'm in eastern Canada). I know I spoke to someone from England and they told me those with red hair are made fun of a lot in school, which seemed beyond the realm of possibility because kids here loved red hair, especially on girls. Where I live nobody, not even the meanest thugs would ever make fun of a disabled person like someone with MS, Down Syndrome, Spina Bifida, etc. but ASDs are fair game, especially when you are on the mild end like me.

Joe90 wrote:
Yes, school was pretty sh**. I know I didn't get horribly bullied, I still got teased a few times, and rejected SO MANY times, and singled out or picked on. No wonder I'm so depressed and wallowing in self-hatred now.

Like I've tried to explain to people, the beatings were the easy part. The daily exclusions, rejections and being singled out constantly as a child has DEVASTATING consequences. That, and the invalidation of authority figures who deny something is wrong because they fear for their jobs. It's easier as an adult to deal with bullies because I'm not forced into 'confinement' with people who hate me and if they get physical (and show others you are a target) they get arrested (or a broken arm) if they assault you.

Just remember Joe90 I was once like you until I raised the metaphorical middle finger to those who treated me badly. Since that happened and I understand I'm an Aspie my life has improved significantly. I know it's easier said than done, but the best 'revenge' you can get is to stand tall and strong and realize people like me (who WILL stand up for you) do exist even though they are like needles in a haystack. Better days are ahead for you!