why some men seem more successful with women

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 8:00 am

but exactly, Boo.... i didn't call you a sexist jerk, i didn't accuse you of being a sexist jerk, and i didn't imply it either. no matter how you word it, it simply didn't happen. i am going to drop it as the thread is derailing. anyway, the thread is here, so people can see for themselves:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5219701.html#5219701

mds_02 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i think 'stop looking' often means 'take a break, distract yourself, calm down, work on other areas, then re-engage

As long as the guy in question understands that last bit, then yes, this can be good advice.

Desperation will definitely hurt a guy's chances.

Quote:
men who have never seemed desperate themselves may advise other men to never give up or never take a break, because they've not experienced a dry spell long enough to start appearing desperate to women. so they don't know how it looks or feels. so i think 'stop looking' often means 'take a break, distract yourself, calm down, work on other areas, then re-engage'

My advice, to not take rejection personally and to just keep trying, emphasizes the fact that there will always be more opportunities which would, I'd hope, help a guy to feel and seem less desperate.

And, either way, it's directed more at those guys who let their fear of rejection stop them from trying, rather than those who let their fear of being alone drive them to desperation. From what I've seen in my life, the former are more common than the latter. But both groups tend to get the same advice which, for one, is simply not helpful.

yes, there are definitely people like that, that avoid rejection. maybe they got rejected once when they were 14 and they never tried again. they just assumed that they would be rejected again and didn't bother to try.

on the board i see both attitudes - the avoidance of rejection and the expectation of rejection. and i would agree that they need completely different strategies. i don't think there are necessarily more of the type that are avoidant though. it's hard to say without blue_bean's data, or from asking them how many dates they have attempted. it's definitely problematic though.

i wonder what makes a person more able to handle rejection in the first place? i don't think that is something that is easy to change.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 8:34 am

hyperlexian wrote:
on the board i see both attitudes - the avoidance of rejection and the expectation of rejection. and i would agree that they need completely different strategies. i don't think there are necessarily more of the type that are avoidant though. it's hard to say without blue_bean's data, or from asking them how many dates they have attempted. it's definitely problematic though.

On the occasions when I've tried to give specific advice to guys who are having trouble meeting women, I pretty much always ask them how often they approach women. And it pretty much always seems to me like they try far less often than the average guy.

But it could be that I subconsciously choose to engage in conversation mostly those guys whose issues remind me of my own. And it's a small sample size either way, which is why I keep saying things like "in my experience" or "from what I've seen."

hyperlexian wrote:
i wonder what makes a person more able to handle rejection in the first place? i don't think that is something that is easy to change.

For me, it was finding something I was even more afraid of than being rejected (letting my friends see my fear, as I mentioned on the first page), which allowed me to face (a lot of) rejection and grow more accustomed to it. That combined with seeing firsthand that even the most successful guys get rejected more often than not. If the better looking more socially skilled guys who I envied so much were being rejected most of the time, then I needn't feel any shame when the same happened to me.

But you're right. It was definitely not easy to change my earlier mindset. It took time, and effort, and willingness to endure (over and over again) the sh***y feelings that came with rejection. And, in the process, I put myself in a lot of negative situations. Did things I very much regret.

I have immense sympathy for people who feel the way I used to. It's an awful way to live. And I don't mean to imply that overcoming it is an easy or quick process, only that it is worth the effort.

Last edited by mds_02 on 22 Feb 2013, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 8:47 am

Quote:

Self-esteem I guess; and that one isn't easy to change either.

There's also the level of the asker's stupi.... I mean attachment.