Do you have trouble realizing when someone is joking?

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2013, 4:46 am

I'm not an aspie or autie but I do have some pragmatic language impairment, and lots of times when my mom is joking, like for example criticizing me but not in a mean way and just as a joke, I seem to take it personally because I didn't realize she was just joking until she says "I was just kidding" :oops:

Marc420
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2013, 5:42 am

Nope I don't.

Help an Aspie become independent
http://www.gofundme.com/ft2o2w

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 6:16 am

I have a big problem getting deadpan 'humour' (I don't see it as humour). I can understand obvious jokes, or when people are relating a humorous story, but if it is more subtle then I start having problems.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

sapphireblue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2013, 6:19 am

even if it is a joke it is at your expense and not kind. It is difficult but I avoid being like that with my children. I remember how much it hurt when I was growing up. It upsets me when my husband is like that with our children. You just need to take it in stride and not internalise it too much. Unfortunately that is the way of the world.

Jordan87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2013, 6:27 am

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I can find it a little difficult to tell when somebody's cracking a joke or when they're being serious, but other times, such as when they're being sarcastic, it's pretty easy for me to tell, since I'm well versed in sarcasm myself.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 8:13 am

I have. Though I can understand it at times.

sackcoat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2013, 8:54 am

I have no problem with comedy or sarcasm... everything else causes me some difficulty. I typically just assume someone is joking if it seems questionable, but there are, of course, issues with that method too.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 9:41 am

I have trouble reacting to it accordingly.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

22 Feb 2013, 9:48 am

No, though people tend to think this about me when I don't show enough response to let them know that I knew they were joking. #flataffectproblems

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2013, 9:50 am

I often have trouble telling when people are joking, and others generally have the same issue with me.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 1:00 pm

yes i do but i cant be doing with jokes because there's no point to them. most of my co-workers are men and they joke all the time with each other and a lot of them think im one big joke so they tease me in ways i dont always understand. sometimes i yell at them and they jump back and go 'oooh we were only joking' then i don't bother talking to them. thankfully not all of them are like that, some rather talking to me properly rather than making a big stupid joke out of everything.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 2:21 pm

I often don't recognize when others are joking, and others often don't recognize when I am joking. Others often think that I am joking when I am not joking. I don't think that others are joking when they are not joking. I tend to take jokes unjokingly. Sometimes, people might say that they are joking after other people didn't take their statements well. Other times, they really were joking.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:03 pm

Yes not immediately and I often have to confirm if they are joking which is embarrassing. Now everyone at work thinks I take everything to seriously and they always shout of JUST JOKING! when they attempt to tease me (In a friendly way).

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

sapphireblue wrote:
even if it is a joke it is at your expense and not kind. It is difficult but I avoid being like that with my children. I remember how much it hurt when I was growing up. It upsets me when my husband is like that with our children. You just need to take it in stride and not internalise it too much. Unfortunately that is the way of the world.
I didn't know how to put it when I said she criticizes me. My mom would never make hurtful jokes at my expense. What I should have said was that she occasionally teases me in a friendly way that is intended to be humorous.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:49 pm

Sometimes, especially if they do it with a serious tone. It works both eays, though--- one time i had a friend tell me she bumped into my car with her car. Well, since everyone who know me knows how particular i am about the car, i thought "OH gee, she MUST be joking.". I thought it odd that the punchline never came, but still dismissed it as a failed attempt at humor. It turned out she DID bump my car. Later she said "it did seem odd how you seemed so calm after that news.".
Good thing was, no damage was done to either car.
But it can be hard to tell if a joker is being serious... and also hard to tell if someone is joking.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 8:39 pm

I'm better than I used to be. If something comes off as horses**t straight off the bat (someone presenting something completely out of line with their character) I can tell straight away. If there is an inclination of some possible truth ( I once knew a drug dealer who described all sorts of different ways to transport and conceal his wares. One night we were getting ready to go out somewhere and he was saying things like he had to deliver a certain amount of product and it was too much for him to carry it all himself. At one point he said "guys, we're going to have to 'kiester' it" [if you've watched COPS or shows about smuggling you'll know...nuff said]. I didn't show any reaction at all to what he said; I was halfway thinking he was bluffing but in the back of my mind I thought he might be totally serious. Fortunately he turned out to be kidding, but for a few hours I was derailed from everything else that was going on, trying to mentally work out the logistics of how I was going to go through with it.) , when people know me a while, they can lead me down the garden path easily enough for a while. I can appreciate the humor in most of it