Depersonalization not related to stress or anxiety?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 10:34 pm

For several hours this morning after I woke up, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was just "watching" myself do things and experience things, rather than actually doing and experiencing those things. Listening to music was a very strange experience; it wasn't quite "depressing", but it was very uncomfortable and it only furthered the feeling. Everything I've looked up about this since (granted, not all that much) has said this happens in response to stress or anxiety, but I woke up with the feeling. I remember my dream from the previous night, and it wasn't a nightmare, so that couldn't have caused stress or anxiety.

My girlfriend has also experienced this feeling, but only during panic attacks. Is there something about ASDs that makes one more prone to this feeling, even without anxiety?

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2013, 11:26 pm

That kind of feeling can also happen when you're really exhausted mentally and/or physically.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2013, 12:50 am

I get this fairly often. It started sometime when I was a kid. Not sure what age but I was very young.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 4:36 am

I experienced it BIG TIME when I was 17 & about to graduate from high school - but I was putting a lot of stress and pressure on myself to get things figured out etc, so for me it was certainly stress & anxiety induced. Perhaps you just haven't figured out what the stressor was?

As for your sig, I too often have crap coordination and am not a dancer.. but to say it's all Aspie feet is a fallacy. Some Aspies, one of my closest friends included, as well as one of my cousins, are amazingly good dancers. It's almost like someone who stutters ridiculously when talking, but can sing beautifully - when they dance, it's like they're in some magic trance and can do it with perfection. Maybe not you or I, but some of us Aspies can dance extremely well. It's just one of those traits that can go either way as the spectrum is so broad and traits so varied.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 6:03 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I experienced it BIG TIME when I was 17 & about to graduate from high school - but I was putting a lot of stress and pressure on myself to get things figured out etc, so for me it was certainly stress & anxiety induced. Perhaps you just haven't figured out what the stressor was?

As for your sig, I too often have crap coordination and am not a dancer.. but to say it's all Aspie feet is a fallacy. Some Aspies, one of my closest friends included, as well as one of my cousins, are amazingly good dancers. It's almost like someone who stutters ridiculously when talking, but can sing beautifully - when they dance, it's like they're in some magic trance and can do it with perfection. Maybe not you or I, but some of us Aspies can dance extremely well. It's just one of those traits that can go either way as the spectrum is so broad and traits so varied.

That's very possible! It might be what Lucywlf said and be a result of just exhaustion (grad school midterms), even though I was never particularly anxious about those they did take quite a lot of effort.

My sig is a line from Careless Whisper by George Michael, only with the word "guilty" replaced by "Aspie". Just meant to be humor, and not really a commentary. It's cool that your friends can do that! I was that way with wrestling in high school.