Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm

I've been there too and know what you're going through. Many here have offered advice, you got to do what it takes to survive. One things I'd consider is if you can discharge your debt through bankruptcy. I don't know what State you live in so what you can discharge and not discharge is up to the laws you have there. I know with the car, most likely you cannot discharge that, you'll still have to pay on that but if you can get some or almost all the debt monkeys off your back, I'd try that route.

cantfitin2013
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

could you be any more rude? and if i dont like what you said because you are insulting me, i CAN actually brush it off.....but thanks for trying to tell me what I can and cant do. you have been less than helpful.

JacobV
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2013, 6:32 pm

You could work as a type of botanist for various private/local/state/federal parks or even do something as simple a park maintenance. i believe maintenance makes more than 8/hr and botanist can make much more than that.

I work maintenance and started at 12/hr. When you find the job that's right for you, you will bring a great deal of aptitude to the table and you will kick some butt.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 7:39 pm

Security guards at the places you mentioned may be an option. Most of them sit around and occasionally get up and do a walkabout. Not much intelligence required and it pays a mite better.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
cantfitin2013 wrote:
Somehow I survived in the Army for 3 years and it was extremely damaging to me, and I got out 1 year early on an honorable discharge based on chapter (depressive disorder).

Im 28 years old, and I can't bare to scrape by financially for the rest of my life. i am determined to figure out a solution to the fact that every where i go, people misunderstand me, or think im being rude when im just asking a simple question. its complicated, as im sure you all know. i only have a bachelor's degree in sociology. i tried to make a list of things i dont "like" so as to raise some red flags for my in the future job hunt. i have about $71,000 in debt including a brand new 2013 car, so I can not afford to just work $8/hr. i also would like to get a masters degree in archival librarian studies, but even that im insecure about, bc this world has made me hate myself so much. i never seem to fit in any where i go. im living with family right now, so im not paying rent, luckily i have supportive family.

its also hard to think that i will never have a normal life and be able to have a career i can depend on, to buy a house, to have a healthy relationship, etc.....is that something i should just get over and accept, or is it still possible?

things i like (job related):
art museums
libraries
parks
being creative
planning

things i dont like (job related):
stairs/standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time (injury)
customer service
complicated math and science
computer stuff

please help, any advice? :(

Gotta love those generic "personality disorder" discharges from the armed forces. At least you got honorable. At least it wasn't for a "psychotic personality" based on NVLD, drugs, and prostitutes like it was for me back in '09. As long as you do your job, you'll get an honorable discharge.

And an honorable discharge opens up lots of opportunities. I'd suggest getting a Masters in something. My state actually supplements the GI Bill with, not sure about yours. I live quite well on BAH and get paid to attend a graduate law program that normally costs $45,000/year, in tuition alone.

Another thing to consider is federal jobs. Some agencies have rules that they are required to prove that there is no qualified veteran available before they are allowed to hire a non-veteran. And Asperger's counts as a disability for disability preference. You could even get noncompetitive appointment in some cases. And many state governments have similar programs. You're only required to disclose the details of your military discharge if you got less than an honorable discharge, which is not a problem for either of us. If it's honorable, they'll automatically give you the preference (though you may or may not have to disclose things later during the background check which, depending on the position, can pose a problem even with an honorable).

I disclosed my disabilities along with my veteran status and got selected for a pathways program at a federal agency in D.C. where I absolutely don't belong. Everyone else in my program is an overachiever from Harvard or Yale.

Also, government is full of weird people. The Attorney General's Office where I work now has a well-known aspie in a senior position who is not very high-functioning. So I would definitely make a pitch to federal, state, and local government employment. The private sector is full of discriminatory dirty capitalists anyway. Who would want to work there?

I've been the government route as a contractor. If you think civil service employees have it rough, try working as a contractor. Contract employees have NO protections compared to federal civil service. The only advice I can give is CYA and document the living hell out of everything.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 8:27 am

don't go for library science Masters......my mom has that and she works at walgreens. She's applied and applied for jobs and has not gotten anywhere.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

1) Before you pour ANY hard earned money into an online degree, find out if the libraries in your area consider that a VALID degree. Mine DO NOT. It doesn't matter who or where it is from.

The only time an online degree is worth anything, is you have a current job. You need an MS/MA degree, and while you are working for THAT company is considered valid. University of Phoenix makes ton of money off of those kinds of students.

2) The library science field is totally glutted by school teachers getting the hell out of teaching. Especially if you want to work at public libraries. My library has hired all elementary school teachers WHO ARE PART TIME. No one is full time there, and they have minimal at benefits at best. They are usually English Language Arts teachers, who got the MLS to get out of the rat race, and have a spouse working a $$$ job. They do not make mad cash.

3) Libraries are not the quiet, shuffle book places they used to be. My family has many librarians, and all are bailing. You are now a combination Starbucks (yes, ours has a coffee bar), day care/child care entertainment-my aunt's MAJOR tasks was coming up of community events. Like early reading aloud book series for kids 2-4 years old. It's all about costumer service. It's coming up with community outreach programs and interacting with people. Smile! Look pleasant! Interacted with those charmers that are trashing the shelves while mom looks on. Personally, I think fast food is a better option. At least the idiots don't stay long, and don't threaten you with tell the city council president how you suck as a human.

4) The book shufflers are either 1) guys who need to do community services for their DUIs, or 2) high school students need community service credits. I think they may pay a few souls minimum wage. My aunt rarely shelved books.

In short, my public library has morphed into a book playground for the 2-5 year old crowd, and a tween/teen baby sitter-drop off point. You get the entitlement crowd, who thinks anyone in customer service (which you are) is their b***h.

I'm sure there are industries that use MLS folks, I just don't know how or where you find those jobs.

Good luck.