Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Trumpet / trombone / tuba / serpent etc 3%  3%  [ 12 ]
Piano / harmonium / piano accordian / button accordian / organ etc 6%  6%  [ 25 ]
Piano / harmonium / piano accordian / button accordian / organ etc 6%  6%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 398

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2005, 12:25 pm

What instrument(s) do you play?

Why did you choose to start?

How long have you played for?

Is it a passion? A pastime? A profession? An outlet for emotions, or an alternative means of self-expression?

LB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2005, 1:07 pm

What instrument(s) do you play? guitar, mostly acoustic

Why did you choose to start? i thought it only had 4 strings and would be easy to play

How long have you played for? 23 years

Is it a passion? A pastime? A profession? An outlet for emotions, or an alternative means of self-expression? an outlet and alternative means of expression. sometimes a passion.

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2005, 1:17 pm

I've been playing the violin for almost 6 years now.
I like the feeling of my fingers moving like the legs of a crab.

How did I choose to start? I was a my best friend's. (She plays the violin too) She wanted to show me some stuffs. At the beginning it was a kind of pretend play: she was the teacher and I was the pupil. But I held the violin she gave me as if it were a baby, because I believe music instruments are something sacred, they are magic, and I knew most of them are fragile, especially violins. So I held it preciously and seriously. Her mother laughed at that in a bewildered way.
My friend made me play my first notes, and they were quite good. I was so pleased that it must have shown on my face, and her mother said that if my parents agreed, I could take the violin with me. (It was my friend's old violin. She had another one.)

The violin came at a time when I was very desilusioned and sad. It helped me a lot. It is a passtime and a passion.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2005, 2:59 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't know how to make the poll so people could select more than one answer - I am well aware it is possible to play more than one instrument, and if you're a one (wo)man band, then you play them all at once!

I play the guitar, and have done since I was 10. I'm currently learning to play the bodhran (Irish folk drum, played with a double ended stick called a tipper) because I drum manically (though rhythmically) on anything and everything!

For me, it started out as just something I fancied doing. Playing the guitar that is. Both my parents play, and I grew up with music always around, so it felt fairly natural that I should make music myself. (Beyond the typical playing recorder at primary school!) I quickly really got into it though, and discovered a bit of a knack for playing, but I turned into a grumpy teenager that couldn't be arsed with practising, so let it slip.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 3:03 pm

i play all of the above, except for the trumpet family (i've never tried), and some others. have been playing for 35-6 years, some of them. most of them, i'm quite good at (have won prizes for singing, piano and percussion).

ahhhhh, music....

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 3:11 pm

When I was 12 I suddenly got the urge to play the flute.

This became a bit of an obsession until someone gave me a guitar.

I played guitar until I was 19 when I had an accident on my hand. I cut through the tendons on the inside of my left hand and had to have an operation to sew them up.

For weeks afterwards I had my hand in plaster so I got a piano to play about on with my right hand. From then on I became obsessed with pianos, church organs and harmoniums. (although I only really played piano seriously)

For several years in my flat (apartment) I had a piano and a harmonium in my living room. Actually, strictly speaking it wasn't a 'harmonium' but a much bigger 'American Reed Organ'. It was desiged for use in a chapel and had two manuals. It wouldn't fit through a doorway so everytime I moved I had to dismantle it and rebuild it in the new place.

It was broken when I bought it but I restored it to full working order. The only part I couldn't restore were the original 'speaking' pedals. It had foot pedals to work the belows so you could play it alone but originally it also had a set of speaking pedals (like a keyboard you play with your feet). When someone was playing that way another person would have to pump the organ from a lever on the side (usually a choirboy).

I still have a piano (in my bedroom now) although I don't often play an instrument these days. Now I write contrapuntal music at the computer and ask the computer to play it either as a piano or an organ or a chamber ensemble.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 3:40 pm

Quote:
have been playing for 35-6 years

You must be exhuasted :lol: It's time to take a break.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2005, 4:52 pm

Quote:
You must be exhuasted Laughing It's time to take a break.

Ba-Boom PING!

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2005, 6:45 pm

I play theremin 8)

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 7:37 pm

What instrument(s) do you play?

Guitar - electric and bass. None of that godawful acoustic stuff for me... Bleurgghhh!! !! ! :P (although I do own an Ovation Elite, because its the law that you have to have at least one acoustic :roll: ). I play pretty well considering my crappy motor skills I suppose..... I also sing rather well, if I do say so myself..... 8)

My gear collection (not that anybody'll care, but I'm listing them anyway as showing off is one of my few effective means of self-expression):

3 x Fender Strats (2 US, 1 Jap)
2 x PRS Custom 24s (my babies :))
2 x Ibanez JEMs
Fender Telecaster (Jap)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Rickenbacker 360/12
Parker Fly
Vigier Arpege
Music Man Axis Super Sport
Spector NS-4 (Euro)
Fender Jazz V string (Mexican)
Ovation Elite
Ovation Balladeer (old, top-split and beat to buggery)
Marlin Sidewinder (errr... don't like to talk about that one..... :oops:)
Marshall TSL122
Marshall AVT50
Roland GR-33
Boss GT-6
Zoom GFX-8
Line 6 POD2
Line 6 BOD2
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Morley Volume
Big overdraft......

Why did you choose to start?

I wanted to be Paul Weller

How long have you played for?

23 years....

Is it a passion? A pastime? A profession? An outlet for emotions, or an alternative means of self-expression?

I love music and playing it, and I adore guitars as objects, and an obsessive collector (oh, that PRS 10th Anniversary on ebay at the moment is just calling out to me..... "I'm only 3 grand.... you can afford to buy me...... You just need your credit card to get a bit redder, that's all" :cry:)[/i]

Last edited by TAFKASH on 21 Mar 2005, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schnerd
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2005, 7:48 pm

I can play all band instruments, and violin, piano, fife, accordion, and guitar.
I started because I had to have an “extracurricular activity” for school so I chose band and the French Horn. I just taught myself the rest because I could.
I’ve played for about 18 years.
At first it was something to do. Now it is an outlet.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 7:54 pm

Bb Cornet, Bb, G, C Eb, and A trumpet. Bass Trumpet, Saprano Trombone.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 8:40 pm

I play the Bodhran, but not very well!! I can't get the movements right :? But I have fun doing it! It's a hobby for me, it started as an obsession, though. I chose to start because I love irish music, and the sound of the bodhran is very interesting to me. Also I am rather tone-deaf, so drums are really the only musical choice for me! I have played for about 6mo, including the time when I was obsessed but didn't have a drum and I practiced on a newspaper with a pencil-LOL!!

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 8:42 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
I play the Bodhran, but not very well!! I can't get the movements right :? But I have fun doing it! It's a hobby for me, it started as an obsession, though. I chose to start because I love irish music, and the sound of the bodhran is very interesting to me. Also I am rather tone-deaf, so drums are really the only musical choice for me! I have played for about 6mo, including the time when I was obsessed but didn't have a drum and I practiced on a newspaper with a pencil-LOL!!

Ahhhh.... drummers..... A musician's best friend! :wink:

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2005, 10:25 pm

I’ve played guitar for twenty-one years. When I was a teen, I played both electric and acoustic, but electric guitar didn’t suit me well. I prefer to play acoustic guitars. The style I play would probably be called finger style, though I do use picks as well.

I also can play pennywhistles, recorders and various flutes. I used to have a Lakota Indian flute which sounded beautiful. There are other instruments I would like to play, such as hammered dulcimer, bouzouki, and Highland bagpipes.

It wouldn’t be appropriate to say I am a talented guitar player. I’ve played a long time but haven’t advanced my skills much. I still play at the same level as when I was twenty-four. Guitar playing has been a disappointment at times. Everything I create seems accidental, as there is never a thinking process involved. I do not think of the way I want something to sound, then attempt to play it. I just let my fingers do whatever they want. Sometimes I play well, other times I don’t. It has always been difficult for me to play in front of others, so music has mostly been a private thing. Another negative is that I have never learned how to read & write music. This results in my creating something nice, and then losing it forever.

In all this time, I have only created a handful of songs. My guitar playing is typically just fragments that I am rarely able to string together. There is a trap I fall into, where I invent something I like and then play it over and over again, for weeks, even months. (Perseveration, I guess.) Eventually I have to put the guitar away for an extended time, to get away from the repetitive playing. My guitar has been shelved for a couple of years now.

Recently I’ve attempted to create electronic music, but I didn’t have the patience to learn. There are too many other things going on in my life for me to resume my music hobby at this time.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 1:35 am

I play piano. I would often sneak into a nearby Hotel and use their
piano. I played by ear since I was 13.