Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm

i used to have many when i was in middle school, they liked my unique-ness but as time went on, they though of me as more of an awkward nusence i suppose and no longer enjoyed my company, however, i do have one friend, her name is rachel, shes my age and shes been my friend since grade 1. do you have friends?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

Define "Friend", please.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 10:35 pm

Not really, I guess. I can strike up acquaintances pretty easily if I'm in the mood, or for politeness sake. I've gotten more and more solitary anymore, to the point where socializing is ranked slightly above root canal on the enjoyment scale. Depression might factor in too though. :shrug:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 10:37 pm

a few good ones that I've managed to keep over the years (i'm 56) and a bevy of nominal friends. I've lost some, too, for reasons I don't understand,

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 10:48 pm

Uuhhhhh....sort of.

I have a few acquaintances that will text me, or drop by for a few minutes to chat. I have friends from the past that have moved away or adopted new lifestyles (became parents, found religion) that I talk to by phone occasionally. And I have regular customers at work -- I work at a convenience store -- that come in every day to joke around. But as far as a friend in the traditional sense -- one you share special events and memories with and buy each other Christmas presents and go out for dinner or drinks or whatever -- no, not really.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 10:53 pm

I could possibly call one person a friend. I don't know if he really is. We go out for dinner every once in a while. He is probably the only one I can speak to about my work stress etc without worrying about being judged.

onewithstrange
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm

I have four really good, dependable friends who I don't have to worry about and who are reliable. The others are flaky at best. It also takes me a reasonably long time before I come to consider someone a friend.

MacGyverAspie
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2013, 11:48 pm

I barely have any friends since I left high school in 2005. So i'm mostly here because I can relate to other aspies better than most of the public. Finding social groups isn't easy either as none exist in my area, oh well.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Mar 2013, 12:03 am

I have friends as I define them.

However, I frequently see people online say that such relationships do not count as "real friendships" because people online are apparently "not real" and don't count until you meet them face to face.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:08 am

I have three or four good friends who I have known for years. I also have a lot of friends who I will go meet or talk to if they happen to be around. I have met a lot of new friends at the university this year, but my closest friends have been my friends since 8th or 9th grade.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:09 am

Yes, many.

I'm still friends w/ a lot of ppl from high school and old coworkers. We keep in touch mainly w/ facebook and I do see many of them a few times a year at various gatherings.

I'm friends with my siblings and cousins, we mostly see each other on holiday dinner gatherings. Although I will go do something with some of thenm every once in a while, just not as often recently as I don't have a car right now.

And I have a couple/few very close friends that I make an effort to see as regularly as possible. One of them I've been friends with for almost half my life now - since high school, and I'm Godfather to his first born. She's a friend, too. Another is another aspie w/ common special interests that I've been friends with for 2 1/2 years who lives only a few blocks away. Definitely the best friend I've made since high school & one that I know will always be in my life. :) Words can't possibly express the gratitude I have for having him in my life, especially over the last several months. Its pretty awesome. If you have never met another aspie you really "clicked," with in terms of personality and special interests, you should maybe see if you can find one near you. I find it a highly beneficial friendship in terms of feeling socially competent with one another vs. either feeling awkward for some social quirk or another. I have another local aspie friend I get along with, too.

I also have a nephew and three God children and their siblings and parents etc as friends in my life, old neighbours that are like family, friends I've met through various sports that I'll see when I'm back to various seasonal sports.

Another high school friend, who's also an aspie just learning about as slowly now, owns a restaurant w/ his wife and I work for them part time as one of my jobs. And I get along ok w/ coworkers at my other job, but we don't have anything in common and are just friends while working vs keeping in touch outside of work.

Etc etc and while I have many friends, there are only a few I see regularly and sometimes it might be months between visits, others daily.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:37 am

I'm not sure that I am clear on what a friend actually is

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:08 am

I have a lot of acquaintances but only a handful of actual friends, and out of that number I only know 2 of them in real life.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:51 am

Yes. I would say I have three friends (the way I define friends). However, we don't see each other that often.

Last edited by rebbieh on 16 Mar 2013, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PIYOSOFT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2013, 1:51 am

My dog is my only bff.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:17 am

I have more friends now than I did in high school. I would say I have a handful of close friends, and one proper close friend who I feel completely comfortable around.

I have never had a "group" of friends, and never had really close girlfriends.