Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

YorkieDuck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2013, 11:16 am

Hi there,

I've just been referred for assessment in Sheffield through the NHS and was wondering if anyone has any experience of how long the wait is. I'm sure you can understand (though not yet diagnosed I certainly have a lot of Aspie tendencies like needing everything to be known and organised) that the wait will be easier if I have an idea of how long it will be, or at least how long until I hear from them arranging an appointment.

Also, I read that you can take people to the assessment. Would anyone advise this or is it better to go alone? Still haven't actually told my Mum I've got a referral...

Thank in advance for your help!

YD

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 1:07 pm

Each health authority will have different waiting list durations. The best thing to do would be to contact them to ask.

Here is a link to Sheffield's NHS Asperger's Syndrome Service which has all their information and contact details:

http://www.shsc.nhs.uk/our-services/spe ... vices/sass

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2013, 2:10 pm

I was diagnosed at Sheffield last year. I think the referral was first made in late 2011 (Oct/Nov) and I had my assessment in May 2012. I can't remember how far in advance they told me about the appointment but I think it was at least a month or two.

Both my parents came to my assessment and they actually spent more time talking to them than to me. This is because early childhood experiences are very important to the diagnosis and they were able to remember my childhood more accurately. They also likely have a different opinion of what I'm like. For example, when I got the report I was surprised to see that they thought I said inappropriate things or did certain things they thought was unusual that I wasn't able to recognize in myself.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

I have just been diagnosed there. I think the wait was 2 or 3 months. I am too late for my parents to be involved but of course it would have been helpful for the psychologist to have had their perspective. I was given the diagnosis after an interview of about an hour and a half and the person I saw was really nice. A word of warning though, the car parking is very limited and there is no nearby on road parking so you need to allow extra time for this. The centre is not near to the train station either. Hope it goes well for you.

YorkieDuck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2013, 5:39 am

Thanks for the info everyone :) I'll try not to obsess about it for a couple of months then! But will contact them in a bit if I don't hear anything. Thanks for the heads up about transport - I like to have everything planned to the minute details, Aspie style :D And I'm going to tell my Mum and see what she says and take it from there. Good to know there are others out there who have been through the same process.