Any thoughts on the Doctor Who season finale?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 4:40 pm

Perhaps this has been talked about elsewhere, but I can't find anything. As the title goes . . .

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2013, 8:07 am

The series thread had fallen off the first page.

I was very satisfied. I thought the resolution of Clara was excellent (although I wish she hadn't told the Doctor which TARDIS to take- the TARDIS supposedly chose the Doctor, after all), as was the fulfilment of the most recent set of prophecies and word-of-God decrees- we learned the Doctor's secret, and the title of the show was dropped in a satisfying and clever way. I didn't like the sidestepping of Dorium's prophecy though- where was the Fall Of The Eleventh? How come the Doctor failed to answer when the oldest question was asked?

The Whisper Men were essentially nothing, and the Great Intelligence seemed to despise the Doctor more than would be justified by their recent encounters.

But never mind any points of criticism. The reveal of John Hurt was sublime.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 10:34 am

To me it was the best episode of Series 7. Although I felt it was rushed it could've been better as a two part story and maybe some more scenes of Clara interacting with previous doctors. I thought when I saw John Hurt I thought it was David Tennent because I didn't see him with the other previous doctors.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 3:39 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
The series thread had fallen off the first page.

I was very satisfied. I thought the resolution of Clara was excellent (although I wish she hadn't told the Doctor which TARDIS to take- the TARDIS supposedly chose the Doctor, after all), as was the fulfilment of the most recent set of prophecies and word-of-God decrees- we learned the Doctor's secret, and the title of the show was dropped in a satisfying and clever way. I didn't like the sidestepping of Dorium's prophecy though- where was the Fall Of The Eleventh? How come the Doctor failed to answer when the oldest question was asked?

The Whisper Men were essentially nothing, and the Great Intelligence seemed to despise the Doctor more than would be justified by their recent encounters.

But never mind any points of criticism. The reveal of John Hurt was sublime.

It's possible that we haven't seen the 'fall' of the 11th. But always we should expect the Doctor to eventually find a way out. His death Lake Silencio was fixed point, but he got out of that.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2013, 7:10 pm

Great episode, The Doctor should get a new companion. The companions in the new series, while not bad have not been particularly good either, but I am biased to the original series and the radio series and therefore prefer the companions from both.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 8:31 pm

The bit at the end with John Hurt was hype. Looking forward to the 50th.

Kind of disappointed that Moffat and Matt Smith are getting another season. Season 5 was great overall but the last couple of seasons have been kind of meh. Some great episodes and some great moments sprinkled throughout, but knowing that next season is gonna be more of the same doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Hopefully they shake things up with a surprise mid-season regeneration or something, but it's not likely.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2013, 10:13 pm

I like Clara. An average girl who is not super girl nor rose, can take care of her self but knows its the Doctor who the real hope for what ever they face.

I liked the ending but it was way to forced and so much was missing. Like who was the GI? Why did he hate the doctor so much? Why did he need so meny minds? What did he do in the past to run the Doctors life? When the Doctor crossed his own time line did that also mean the time war? What

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:03 pm

The Great Intelligence was the original power behind the Second Doctor's classic enemy: the Yeti

If you look it up on Wikipedia, you'll find all you want to know about the GI and the Yetis

While the finale was not as exciting as last season, loved the ending nontheless. Can't wait till the special in November!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2013, 3:58 am

Rorberyllium wrote:
The bit at the end with John Hurt was hype. Looking forward to the 50th.

Kind of disappointed that Moffat and Matt Smith are getting another season. Season 5 was great overall but the last couple of seasons have been kind of meh. Some great episodes and some great moments sprinkled throughout, but knowing that next season is gonna be more of the same doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Hopefully they shake things up with a surprise mid-season regeneration or something, but it's not likely.

I thought Series 6 was the best one since the series was revived. Loads of great stories, such as The Impossible Astronaut, The Doctor's Wife, A Good Man Goes To War, Night Terrors, The Girl Who Waited and The God Complex. The flesh two parter was good but not as great.

I also liked the first half of Series 7 a lot, despite the lack of a plot arc. All five episodes were really good. The second half was as inconsistent as Series 2 or 3 though.

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2013, 6:01 pm

This was a mixed season for me after the fantastic Series Six - which, pirate story aside, was the best since Philip Hinchcliffe left as producer in the Seventies.

Moffat's stories this year were excellent, the haunted house one was fantastic and Mark Gattis finally wrote the kind of story we knew he was capable of.

'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship' was fun but 'The Power of Three' was exactly the kind of story Russel T Davies used to churn out: I didn't like them then and I don't like them now.

That thing with the singing kid was the worst Doctor Who story since, well, ever. The Ice Warrior story felt like a filler and I could happily take a baseball bat to the face of the girl that Clara babysits because she ruined Neil Gaiman's story for me. Anyone who expresses boredom on their first trip to another planet needs removing from the gene pool.

The cowboy one was good.

BeeDub57
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2013, 5:45 pm

Overall, Season/Series 7 was Matt Smith's weakest, but "The Name of the Doctor" was fantastic.