Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 7:41 pm

It seems as though every single day, I do something that pisses my mother off. She boasts to her friends that she is my champion, yet she violently swears and complains to my face about the slightest inconvenience. I could be sitting in the truck as she's driving, minding my own business, when all of a sudden, she'd bark "Goddamn it, Connor, what's wrong with you? Get out your goddamn mood!" I insist that I'm fine, and she'd crank the radio up loud, grinding her teeth and she mutter stuff like "sh*t" under her breath.

She asks me questions I can't possibly know the answer to, only scream at me for "not knowing". Her justification for this is because of my Asperger syndrome. Despite being in my presence for nineteen years, she remains utterly uninformed, and uses my diagnosis as a label.

She has not emotionally supported me over the last nineteen years.
She has not helped me learn how to survive in the world.
She insists on enabling my bad habits and flaws.
She can switch from borderline-sociopathic anger to Stepford Smiling with the space of a minute.
In general, she's no mother.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 8:22 pm

sorry your mom doesn't seem to understand and mistreats you. if you have to live with her, it might help to think of a few things she has done that you can appreciate. it will lower your blood pressure.

I hope there is someone you can turn to for the things you've missed out on from mom.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 8:38 pm

Not all parents are very good at parenting. Some barely muddle thru it. They are flawed humans like everyone else. Try to focus on your own growing and maturing & not let her negativity keep you down. She will always be your Mom, and its good to try and be supportive. For if there were things she did poorly, there probably was a lot she did ok with. You are however now your own man and it will never go back to the parent-child thing it was.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 10:22 pm

That sounds like a highly toxic situation to be stuck in. I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder