Annoying things people do to you because you have aspergers.

Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 11:55 am

Zombie369 wrote:
People overlooking me and talking down to me: This happens a lot in my family. I think because I have aspergers and my little brother has cerebal palsy that we're kind of viewed as the weakest links in the famly. I'm always given orders to do stuff that I'm never allowed to disagree with and nobody ever wants to listen to my opinion on anything. Whenever I try to talk they always talk over me or just ignore me. It's the same with my brother too.

This happens to me alot to the point where my whole family doesn't even take me seriously. I have siblings that are old enough to be second parents but we're all adults and we should be able to communicate but don't because they don't reciprocate and I don't like chasing people.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 12:28 am

Most people don't know I have Asperger's. Most people don't know me at all. Most of the people I *do* know have moved at least halfway across the country, and my parents are the only ones who contact me on a regular basis anymore. Which will make it all the more devastating if and when anything happens to them.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:28 am

In junior high school, people seemed to play "confuse the Aspie" with me, doing things like saying "hi" and then laughing when I said "hi" back. I still don't know what that was about.

People will often interrupt me or talk over me because I'm quiet and unobtrusive, and can't speak loudly enough to be heard over them.

If it's more than just me and one other person, people seem to forget I'm even there, and if I try to join in the conversation, they just wait patiently until I'm done (if they don't interrupt/talk over me) and then carry on as if I'd never said anything.

People will often think I'm either far more oblivious or far more intelligent than I actually am, and if they think the former, will often try to take advantage of it.

I take horseback riding lessons at a therapeutic riding center. When I'm just waiting for other people or something, I will often bend down and hug my horse. One of the instructors comments about how sweet it is, but the other will joke that I'm sleeping because I get very defensive when she does that - I've been accused of being lazy when I'm really trying my hardest so much that I'm very sensitive to any hints that I'm lazy, not trying, or don't care, and this instructor finds my reaction amusing.

Usually if I make so much as the slightest mention to my current main obsession, my mom will sigh and roll her eyes, and if I confront her about it, she'll deny having done it. She will also talk to me for extended periods of time about things she knows I don't care about, so even if it's because she thinks I'm going to go on and on, well... she does the same thing to me, too. Oftentimes she'll do this every time I start to speak at all. And then my parents complain that I don't speak enough :roll: At least I'm getting better at determining my mom's moods now so I know when I shouldn't even bother trying to talk to her.

I have to say the worst, though, is that people are always overestimating my abilities, and then they accuse me of not caring/trying enough when I don't meet their expectations, when in actuality I'm trying my hardest. I think the problem is that my functioning level can vary, and so people will see me at my best and assume I'm always capable of that, and also because as an Aspie, I'm supposed to be high-functioning (in their eyes). It really hurts to constantly be told my best isn't good enough, and to never have people believe just how hard things are for me (for example, no one I've met in person has ever believed me when I've tried to explain that sometimes I can't speak no matter how hard I try - my dad even interrupted me mid-sentence when I was trying to explain to say "No, I think you just don't want to").

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Landmine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2017, 1:03 pm

When I was in school, girls would act flirty toward me because they knew it made me feel very uncomfortable, sometimes asking me out, laughing when I would get my hopes up. People would often tell me what to other people were obvious lies, but I would take them at face value as true statements, and would not question them. This often led to rumours being spread about me, and I developed a reputation for being both a pushover and for being naive.
I was also a target for people using me for things growing up because of my eagerness to befriend people, and because I was quite knowledgeable on a variety of topics.
Since those days, I have become much more worldly in how I take things, and so this doesn't happen quite so often any more. My experience has given me heuristics from which I can discern people's motives quite a lot of the time, and as a general rule I avoid requests from people that do not talk to me until they need something. On the negative side, these experiences, and my negative mental reinforcement in response to them ensured that I developed quite a significant number of trust issues that most people don't even consider.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 6:32 pm

Stare at me and treat me like a baby.

So I may not be too high-functioning socially, but I'm VERY high-functioning in the intelligence department. Don't judge a book by its cover.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:20 pm

I don't know if it was specifically because of aspergers, but my stepdad always used to say "he doesn't think 'A'", "he doesn't care about 'B'", etc. projecting his own negative opinions about me. Other times he'd tease me about various aspects of my appearance, or how I drank water strange, etc..

A friend lied and told me a girl was interested in me (I should have known better). Other friends insulted me and threw things at me for their amusement. A kid threw a basketball at my head making my vision go bright white and knocking me down, I fell at the feet of the gym instructor who stared at me and said nothing as I eventually staggered back up.

Yeah, those days sucked.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:46 am

Zombie369 wrote:
Wow I guess a lot of people with aspergers do understand what I'm going through. :) Another thing that annoys me is how every time I like something and want to talk about it my Mom always tells me that it's an obsession and I need to shut up about it. I understand that aspies have obsessive special interests but I feel like I'm just not allowed to feel any joy around her. In fact she's never really asked me what I'm into or what I want out of life because it's all bad "obsessions" according to her. :/

I feel your pain too and I have also felt that experiencing too much joy and happiness around NTs makes them stare at me with such disgust and anger. That makes me very angry and I stim for hours afterward.

So what if I want to express as much joy as I can despite the raging firey inferno going on inside of me that has nothing but anger and aggression. All I want to do is show the world but I can make an effort to be happy too. But sometimes I express too much happiness for some NTs and they get cruel and mean-spirited and they bully me because of it.

Perhaps I do express a childlike joy and I laugh because I'm desperately trying to dispel the anger inside of me so who cares? And why should I be bullied because of it?

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)