Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

laylasmith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2013, 1:39 am

I don't know if this is the right place to put it but it seemed like a good choice.

I recently found out that one of my aspergers symptoms was not actually part of my aspergers. Its actually a disorder called Misophonia.
This link explain it a bit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia. misophonia.com/symptoms-triggers/

I have been struggling with it for all of my life and I didn't even know it was a problem until about 5 years ago when the noises of my class mates sent me to the school nurse in tears unable to explain why something as simple as a noise could trigger the worst feelings in me.

I just wonder if there is anyone else on here that has the same problem. Or if you know anyone that does. If not we can talk about the noises you don't like. I probably don't like them either. I can't stand most noises.

scarter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2013, 1:51 am

Subwoofers give me homicidal thoughts.

laylasmith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2013, 1:54 am

scarter wrote:
Subwoofers give me homicidal thoughts.

Thats sounds very scary. Noises just make me want to start screaming or hit something or at there worst send me into a mini break down.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 2:58 am

Motorcycles revving makes my muscles twitch.
Babies crying makes my toes curl.
Balloons popping makes my nerves jump.
Fingernails against a chalkboard makes my spine wobble.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 6:19 am

That is definitely something I have real problems with yes.

Noisy environments
Trying to have a conversation with lots of noise
Screaming children
Loud traffic-flow noise; I'm currently living in an apartment that is right on a busy main road, and I'm seriously losing it
Repetitive noise, not just sirens but even if a person speaking keeps repeating the same word or phrase

More I can't think of right now, but all these things have been not just minor irritations like they might be to most people (meaning neurotypical people) but have caused me meltdowns or near-meltdowns and have left me agitated for hours in the worst cases.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 12:47 am

I find that as I'm getting older I'm become must less tolerant of noise. The vehicle traffic and noisy children already mentioned are amongst some of the worst. Noisy social environments are another, a hundred people in a room all talking literally overloads my senses and sends me retreating for peace and quiet.

PaulHughes
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2013, 3:18 am

My eight year old aspie daughter recently began refusing to go on a certain theme park ride. She'd enjoyed it before. The reason, it turned out, was that the other riders all screamed when the ride reached a certain point. It was a pirate ship swinging up and down ride and so this screaming was repetitive.

I taught her to simply hear the screams, rather than listen for or to them. I taught her to dissociate herself from the noise. It's a mindfulness technique. We now go on the ride every time we visit legoland and she doesn't mind the noise at all. So, mindfulness is good.

beige37
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jun 2013, 12:06 am

Of all my sensory issues, noise is the worst for me. That's saying something, too... The sound of people chewing makes me furious and I can't tolerate it. In fact, my IEP states I get to eat lunch in a separate room by myself because of that intolerance. People who don't know me think I'm overdramatic about noise (putting my hands over my ears in public, having to leave loud rooms, etc.) but they don't understand what it's like.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 6:14 am

beige37 wrote:
Of all my sensory issues, noise is the worst for me. That's saying something, too... The sound of people chewing makes me furious and I can't tolerate it. In fact, my IEP states I get to eat lunch in a separate room by myself because of that intolerance. People who don't know me think I'm overdramatic about noise (putting my hands over my ears in public, having to leave loud rooms, etc.) but they don't understand what it's like.

I can relate to that, beige37. I know I've annoyed people by the reactions I've had to situations I can't handle well even while trying to, and the so called friend in question couldn't understand what the "fuss" was about.

I know that new friends or acquaintance's (and even some old friends') level of regard or respect for me has dropped off a cliff following the first time they've seen me not cope with a sensory-overload situation, and that in itself is a bad experience too. Even someone I thought loved me deeply lost all kindness and respect for me when he first witnessed a meltdown I had, and it was downhill for that relationship the rest of the way. This was before I even suspected that my issues were related to something knowable and tangible such as AS or even the Highly Sensitive Person condition, which I now know I am too.

Going forward I think I'm armed with more information so that I can at least partially explain or give notice, not that that might change some people's reaction, but it's better than what I had before, which was not even being able to explain it to myself!

beige37
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jun 2013, 10:55 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
beige37 wrote:

I can relate to that, beige37. I know I've annoyed people by the reactions I've had to situations I can't handle well even while trying to, and the so called friend in question couldn't understand what the "fuss" was about.

I know that new friends or acquaintance's (and even some old friends') level of regard or respect for me has dropped off a cliff following the first time they've seen me not cope with a sensory-overload situation, and that in itself is a bad experience too. Even someone I thought loved me deeply lost all kindness and respect for me when he first witnessed a meltdown I had, and it was downhill for that relationship the rest of the way. This was before I even suspected that my issues were related to something knowable and tangible such as AS or even the Highly Sensitive Person condition, which I now know I am too.

Going forward I think I'm armed with more information so that I can at least partially explain or give notice, not that that might change some people's reaction, but it's better than what I had before, which was not even being able to explain it to myself!

It seems impossible for most people to understand the intensity of, no matter how it's explained. I feel like if people could understand how powerful sensory overload was, they would be more understanding. It gets written off as an over reaction and that's where people start to lose patience.

It has helped me to know and accept what is going on and that it's not just me being "immature." Even if everyone else distorts the truth, at least I know why I do what I do. Like I said, I do get sensory accommodations at school, so for me, it was worth knowing and addressing so things like that could be adjusted. Not everything can be "adjusted," though, and so there are bound to still be more sensory overloads, and I've accepted that.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 7:32 pm

laylasmith wrote:
I don't know if this is the right place to put it but it seemed like a good choice.

I recently found out that one of my aspergers symptoms was not actually part of my aspergers. Its actually a disorder called Misophonia.
This link explain it a bit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia. misophonia.com/symptoms-triggers/

I have been struggling with it for all of my life and I didn't even know it was a problem until about 5 years ago when the noises of my class mates sent me to the school nurse in tears unable to explain why something as simple as a noise could trigger the worst feelings in me.

I just wonder if there is anyone else on here that has the same problem. Or if you know anyone that does. If not we can talk about the noises you don't like. I probably don't like them either. I can't stand most noises.

if its about most noises,then its probably hyperacusis have got,not misophonia;which is an issue with specific sounds.
am not convinced they arent different anyway,as loads of us with hyperacusis have problems with the 'classic' misophonia noises.

mine is similar but affected by all sound; hyperacusis [both vestibular and regular run of the mill hyperacusis, and at a profound level].
mine was lifelong as well,but it was mild and no real issue up until the years of daily head banging with no helmet took a toll; there were backedup multiple brain injuries as a result which triggered profound hyperacusis,profound tinnitus and am certain its what had fcuked up an already fcuked up visual perception.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

laylasmith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2013, 11:59 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
if its about most noises,then its probably hyperacusis have got,not misophonia;which is an issue with specific sounds.
am not convinced they arent different anyway,as loads of us with hyperacusis have problems with the 'classic' misophonia noises.

mine is similar but affected by all sound; hyperacusis [both vestibular and regular run of the mill hyperacusis, and at a profound level].
mine was lifelong as well,but it was mild and no real issue up until the years of daily head banging with no helmet took a toll; there were backedup multiple brain injuries as a result which triggered profound hyperacusis,profound tinnitus and am certain its what had fcuked up an already fcuked up visual perception.

Well I don't have problems with all noises. Just a lot of them. The ones that come to mind or that are most common are whistling, mouth noises(clicking, popping, smacking, chewing), even seeing mouths move in a way that should make the noise is hard for me,stuff crinkling or scraping against something else, plus tapping or clicking or anything like that.

laylasmith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2013, 12:04 am

beige37 wrote:

People thought the same things about me too. I used to get in trouble at home if I got mad at my sisters for eating. I was told I wasn't allowed to tell them not to eat around me because I was just being mean.

The only people who understand are the people who have it. Everyone else will think you are being over dramatic but don't worry your not.

Gracey72
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2013, 11:30 am

I learnt to cope with them now but they were:

Certain words
The noice of a hoover

I thought I was the only one in the world with this.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 3:26 pm

Tats why I don't go to gigs and stuff because my noise senses wouldn't take it.

I have sensory hearing so it is hard to get used to something familiar unless it rings true in my ear and words and hoovers were another thing too if the vacuum bothers me I just go out somewhere, I don't need it.

Most people are so selfish, if I had their constant catchphrases id probably quit ahead of my time and not hold back from some of my own.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 6:11 pm

beige37 wrote:

I understand.