Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Lefty_Aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2007, 3:32 pm

I've been reading this site for a quite a while now, though I just now registered to post in the job forum.

I'm 28 & currently employed as a temp data entry tech, as all the best jobs I've had were in this field. Working at my temp job, I was asked about a permanent position less than two weeks after starting 8). I've had mixed reactions from my coworkers, as some have been very wonderful to me, and some seem very wary of me, possibly even angry. Fortunately, all the people in charge like me and the work I do, so at least my job seems secure. I've been using temp agencies exclusively to find jobs for about 6 years now with much success, though I suggest being very explicit when telling them what you will and won't do. I specifically said "data entry only", no phones. It took all of two weeks to get offered spot at a company, though I still had to inteview, where I DID mention my AS, though in my experience most people have no clue what it is.

I'm undiagnosed @ this point in time, but I plan to get diagnosed as soon as I'm hired officially, and my insurance kicks in. Anyone know who to go to for this in the SF Bay Area?

It's funny that as I read through pages such as "you might be an aspie if", I am seeing myself. I read through the posts on there forums, and see myself. Who better to know your mind than yourself?

I'm getting better at recognizing what NT's are trying to convey with their body language, though I still happily read through my books on the way to work, while failing to notice the girl next to me is trying to attract my attention. I'm very wary of looking back at girls even when I notice them because my stare seems to make people feel uncomfortable. As a guy it's very difficult because you're expected to make the first move, I've had girls do all sorts of things, but actually taking the initiative is rarely one of them, though very refreshing when it actually happens :D.

My main hobby is computers and I'm constantly fixing computers for people through referrals from my small circle of friends. I love cooking and baking a lot as well.
I listen to all kinds of music, but find Jazz to be the best to work to.

Hello again to everyone.

Speaker:"Then look at me!"
*looks at speaker*
Speaker:"Oh great, stare and make me nervous"

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 3:34 pm

Welcome! I am also interested in data entry as a job.

Lefty_Aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2007, 3:43 pm

headphase wrote:
Welcome! I am also interested in data entry as a job.

Thanks!

I've honestly found, after trying all sorts of different jobs over the last 8 years, that data entry and AS is a perfect match, more so if you're inclined to computers as I am. One place I used to work at was an insurance place, and after only 1 week in training, they moved me out on the floor. Quota for permanent employees was 200 claims a day, I was doing 250 - 300 2 weeks into the gig. My supervisor called me the best data entry person she's ever had, "He just does his work! He doesn't sit around talking with everyone else or goofing around on the internet."

Depending on what's available, you might get sent to a financial data entry job, my data entry has a been mostly medical, but I did temp at Intuit a few years ago, but decided to move and of course had to find a new job. NT's tend to find data entry as boring, and although it can be at times, it's great if you're into numbers and trends. I find myself looking up a patient, matching their birthday, and thinking "This person is X years older/younger than me. Who was president at the time, and how far along were computers at that time". The time just flies by.

Give it a try guy. :)

Speaker:"Then look at me!"
*looks at speaker*
Speaker:"Oh great, stare and make me nervous"

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 3:52 pm

Ahoj!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 5:08 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 6:30 am

Hi, welcome to WP.

I relate totally to the "no phones" bit. Unfortunately in my job it's still something of a requirement - all I can say is thank goodness for e-mail!

Once again, welcome on board. :)

TennisFanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2007, 4:36 pm

I've done some data entry jobs as well and phones are not me forte!