Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 8:35 pm

A Brother GX-6750 with a daisy wheel. It's one of my prized possessions, and when it comes to fiction writing, I prefer to use it over Microsoft Word. Why? Because the Internet is so f_$%ing distracting. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 8:40 pm

I still have one floating around someplace, just in case. a mechanical portable model. no electronics in it. just metal, plastic, rubber and inked ribbons.

BabblerDabbler
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2013, 8:50 pm

Just yesterday, I was in a local curio shop and they had two GORGEOUS typewriters on sale, for less than $200 a piece. I'm kicking myself for not picking one up, but not having any guarantee of functionality, etc, I'm more likely to start a search for one that is both aesthetic and still actually functional, with ribbon still reasonably available. Nothing was more conducive to excellent runs of long-form fiction and creative adventures, than writing on an honest to God typewriter!

Writer: dark fiction, sci-fi, memoir. Search engine marketing consultant and WordPress web design geek. Interested in the writing life, freakery, art, monstrosity, music, the bipolar and aspie freakshow. Industrial music, gaming.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 9:28 pm

I bet someone will buy those typewriters just for parts to "Steampunk" their Laptop.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 10:49 pm

Sigh. I remember the days my mother worked at Dritz-Scovill in NYC. She once brought home a grey typewriter that weighed at least a ton. After spending the little change I had on ribbons (black and red, no less!) I wrote my little teenage stories and high school term papers on it. I forgot the brand name but it was a popular one. Clackity-clack went the keys. I should've sought out being a professional writer back then. Oh well.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2013, 11:43 pm

It looks more modern than mine, which also is a modern one using electricity and same brand also.
I used to use it. I don't want to be a writer anymore.
It's better than handwriting if you want to eventually ocr your texts.

0bey1sh1n0b1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2013, 6:59 am

I would like to get a teletype machine and establish a RTTY communication with someone far away :lol: .

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm

I wish I had never sold my Royal Portable. It might have fetched a nice price as an antique.

I get it as a graduation present (from High School) in 1954

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 12:39 pm

I had a Smith-Corona with memory. I can't say I'd prefer it over a PC, though. I like viewing how something will look on paper without having to retype the whole page.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 5:30 pm

Honestly, I can't imagine anything being more conducive to killing all forms of concentration than the noise from a daisy-wheel typewriter. Those, and old daisy wheel printers (I had one for my old apple 2), they'd make the whole room rattle, practically.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 6:52 pm

Not afraid of making mistakes? You can't correct them on a typewriter.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 6:57 pm

not unless the typewriter you're using has a correction ribbon. or else just go back to that tape stuff used for typos. I could not have survived without that stuff.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2013, 9:44 am

I have two typewriters, a Brother AX-24 Daisy Wheel Typewriter, and a Brother EP-7 Portable Dot Matrix Typewriter. I use them for preprinted forms, envelopes , and other quick writing. I've typed on index cards with a typewriter. I still can get Brother ribbons and correction tapes for the AX-24, but I can't get any ribbons for the EP-7. I use them as my hand writing is awful.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 2:05 pm

The internet can be distracting, but when I just end up turning off my internet when I really need to get typing.

Then when I open it up it's like, 'NOPE'.

Author/Writer