Using Autism as an excuse to harass someone

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 6:38 am

Is this ever acceptable? Spoke to the police on Friday about this who implied "it's ok, because he has Autism". Er, what about me then? I have Autism too. He has no right to act this way and just his learning disabilities as an excuse and claims he can't help it. He's high functioning enough to understand right from wrong.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 6:56 am

Even if he was too low functioning to tell right from wrong, harassment is never ok.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 8:04 am

was thinking this too. But the police gave the impression that his behaviour is ok because he has learning disabilities.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 8:46 am

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
was thinking this too. But the police gave the impression that his behaviour is ok because he has learning disabilities.

They need to learn the difference between "explained" and "ok". Just because his autism explains his behaviour or lack of understanding doesn't mean he should be allowed to continue it.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 3:23 pm

there are ways with dealing with it and am very surprised that they gave that as an answer because GMP have arrested fellow residents of mine in previous residential homes and they have limited mental capacity.

making use of an advocacy service to speak to the police will help,am unsure of area so start the search for a autism fiendly advocate here-
http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/brow ... aid=1.aspx

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!