Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mumstheword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2007, 3:22 pm

Hey guys, my son is 6 and was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 2 years ago. I have been studying ABA to work with children with autism, I have no intention of trying it with my guy since I know it would be a waste of time. He is a smart little fella who I describe as "socially clumsy", infact I'm postive he could teach most adults a thing or two. His "problems"? Well, he lives in his own little fantasy world thinking he is Lightning McQueen from CARS. He likes to tell it like it is and he often gets frustrated when people talk to him like he's deaf...hmmmm I'm starting to think his "problem" is more other peoples' ignorance...sure we have some very trying days and sometimes I think I've been ripped off as a parent, but then I think about what he's going through, people always trying to change his perception of things, trying to control his movements, trying to get him to comply to what is "normal". Not a day goes by that I don't worry about his future and what will become of him but I love him to death for exactly who he is. I joined the forum for more insight to get a better understanding of where he is coming from...what's the point of reading "What it's like to have Asperger's" when it's written by someone who doesn't? All I ask is that you all be honest with me and be tolerant of my ignorance, I'll be looking for some answers from time to time and will rely on you all for support- starting with the question "What is a curebie? and why do we hate them?"
Niki

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 3:47 pm

A curbie is someone who thinks that there is a neurotypical child underneath every autistic child and will kill (figurtively if not literally) the autistic to get to them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this is not a good idea. People should try to help the autistic child adopt to the world (like it sounds like you want to do) not kill what they are to try to make them what the world wants them to be.

With that being said I wonder does you son receive any kind of speech therapy or psycological theorpy. I like many people here (I think) would probably think that is a pretty good idea at your sons age to help him better adapt to a world that won't always make it easy for him.

Also I should note that I am the UOPHA (Unofficial Official Parent Helper Aspie... Alex still won't give me the go ahead to drop the U :(.) So if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me and I will try my best to answer them. Also if you have a messenger feel free to add me to your buddy list. Cya!

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

mumstheword
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2007, 3:52 pm

Thanks for clearing that "curebie" thing up for me. Sounds like communism in a sense. "Be typical or be gone"...ridiculous. My son was in speech therapy for a year but the therapist said she'd done as much for him as possible (whatever that means). Other than that we have been denied all requests for support and it's difficult to find services for children diagnosed at his age. Thanks for the response though, I'll take you up on the support factor!

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 4:02 pm

I think what that means is sometimes you need more then social skill training to be successful you also need experience (if that makes any sense). I think asperger's sorta has the opposite problem as autism. Autism you see as kids then as fully grown adults, asperger's you only seem to see people dealing with their issues when they are teens, I don't know what that is though, probably something to do with that being when they are the most different from their peers whereas a baby autistic has severe problems and an adult autistic has severe problems but when they are teens they are shoved into a sped room where no one notices them (no I don't think thats correct just how it is). The best thing you can do now for your boy then is to just love him (which has to include both snuggling and tickling!), research for him, and unless entirely neccessary keep him as far away from prescription drugs as possible (honestly from what I have seen they do much more harm then good).

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 6:22 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!