Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LongleafPine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2013, 10:46 am

I'm retired and have a real push/pull thing about being at home. I walk in the woods and take care of hiking trails at least 2 hours a day, often much more and that's my most relaxed place to be, much more so than being at home. But I like uninterupted time at home to work on research and/or sewing projects, but get restless here and love days in town running errands and reading at the library. It's a long drive though so I'm moving into a small city eventually, so I can be out among people more often, but in smaller doses, because even without much personal interaction, I do get drained around crowds!! The perfect balance-that's alll we want, right?! ! :lol:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:11 pm

I leave the house about once a week to run errands, but my income is so limited that I can't afford to go anywhere if it isn't absolutely necessary. All my old friends have moved far enough away that I can't just run over and visit them regularly, so there's really nowhere to go.

I was switched to a different classification in my gov't paperwork, which would now require me to submit to a Psychologist's "Treatment Plan" in order to continue seeing my Therapist; I don't work well with other people making "plans" for me - especially since it would almost certainly involve being pressured to go on Big Pharma Meds - and since talking to a Therapist wasn't ever going to 'cure' me, I stopped going, so I don't even have that social interaction anymore.

Ironically, I have a large collection of smoking pipes, which I won't smoke indoors, as it might damage sensitive Hi Def TV and monitor screens and I would take them outside and walk around to smoke them, but I live in an apartment complex and have anxieties about strangers striking up conversations with me. Funny how Autism can make everyday life such a no-win, Catch-22 situation. :roll:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

02 Aug 2013, 2:03 pm

Not really; I tend to find time to leave the home.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

No but I'm scared it might come to that later on in life, being so I've become so self-conscious and paranoid that people are judging me negatively no matter how normal I'm being and how hard I try to blend in. It sometimes gets to me.

I do dislike the general public and all the rules you have to follow what I only thought were high school rules. I think high school is like an induction to social and conformity rules of adult life.

Sometimes I despair of how shallow and judgemental some people are that I don't like to be out, and I prefer to stay indoors where I can relax and be myself. When I'm indoors, I then think of places I could be and feel safe by imagining myself there and thinking ''oh good I'm not going to be stared or laughed at or in anybody's way or on show at all because I'm not there!''

I just hope I can stay strong and continue going out.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 5:59 pm

I don't leave the house without a reason to do so. I only leave to go to my healthcare therapists, doctor, to the dole office or any legal obligations. Otherwise I'm happy to stay in all day, every day, quieter, more hassle free for my senses and physical well-being.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 6:27 pm

I go out once per week [on weekends when traffic is gentler and no damned school buses] to wallyworld for sundry supplies. every other Saturday I drive into the next county to attend my square pegs Olympia aspie meetups. that is the extent of my travels outside the home.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 6:32 pm

I leave to go out to lunch with my husband. Otherwise just stay home. Everything can come to me through the internet.

Books, both library and purchased are delivered instantaneously through electronic medium, and clothes, food, shoes, present no problem.

This is a great age to live in.

RikusWishfulDawn
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2013, 2:53 am

Yeah.

I mostly just leave my house to walk the dog, sometimes go to the library...
:cry: :cry:

I don't really know how to make friends around here. I'm even HAPPY to go to the ER sometimes cuz I concider the doctors and nurses my friends now, kinda, i've been these so many times....

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2013, 2:53 pm

I rarely leave the house but it's not because I'm agraphobic or because I don't like people. Often I find when I do go out I don't enjoy it and I'm thinking of getting home. Sometimes I enjoy it but not because of the company of people, more because of the activity involved. I always find people are so ignorant anyway that the social aspect wouldn't matter even if I wasn't so socially stupid.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2013, 3:08 pm

I do get out quite a bit - I have children so being a recluse is not an option. But I once went through a stage of locking myself in my room and only emerging for meals. During my reclusive stage I perhaps left the house once a fortnight, and then only because I had to. As much as I love solitude, I don't want to go back to being like that again - it was a dark time in my life!

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

turtleoverhare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2013, 9:02 pm

thanks for replying everyone.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 9:06 pm

I rarely leave the house, and that really impedes my ability to make new friends, which sucks :(
But I don't like the world out there, I feel ill-at-ease the entire time & can't wait to return home to my safe comfy nest.

I have appts. with my team of professionals (clinicians, counselors, and the like) each week, so I go to those
and then stop by the grocery store. That's about it for my external activity. I don't drive, so it's hard to get places anyway.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm

Willard wrote:
IIronically, I have a large collection of smoking pipes, which I won't smoke indoors, as it might damage sensitive Hi Def TV and monitor screens and I would take them outside and walk around to smoke them, but I live in an apartment complex and have anxieties about strangers striking up conversations with me. Funny how Autism can make everyday life such a no-win, Catch-22 situation. :roll:
I hear ya', I feel similarly.
I avoid doing laundry or taking out trash when I can hear my neighbors (I live in apt. building) outside,
I wait until they seem quiet or gone from the home, so I can have the solitude I desire to do my chores
(which require me to go out my front door, which is beyond my comfort zone).

turtleoverhare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2013, 9:11 pm

Belfast wrote:
I rarely leave the house, and that really impedes my ability to make new friends, which sucks :(
But I don't like the world out there, I feel ill-at-ease the entire time & can't wait to return home to my safe comfy nest.

yes I know exactly what you mean when I do have to go out I cant wait to get back home as well. and at home I'm completely comfortable.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 9:59 pm

turtleoverhare wrote:
Belfast wrote:

yes I know exactly what you mean when I do have to go out I cant wait to get back home as well. and at home I'm completely comfortable.

Feel like I have a timer, as if I were a scuba diver with only so much in my tank of air,
before I have to surface (get out of the public eye) & breathe (get back home where I can breathe & relax).

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 2:24 pm

Sometimes i leave the house but not all the time though.