Page 1 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm

simon_says wrote:
Criminologists don't even know exactly why the murder rate is dropping. It's dropping in places with strict gun laws too. It's very likely a complicated multi-cause issue.

True. We can't say gun ownership has reduced crime; but we can say the raise in gun ownership has not caused the crime rate to go up.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 3:35 pm

Sherlock03 wrote:
Quote:
Waiting periods aren't about criminals; they're about impulse suicides and impulse murders.
Limitations on firepower already exist; civilians can't own surface-to-air-missiles or nuclear weapons. The disagreement is not on whether such limitations exist, but on where the line should be drawn.
Background checks are not required for all gun purchases (a large part of what the fight was about after Sandy Hook). I would like to see them made universal.

I have been suicidal from depression before. Let me tell you you get pretty darn creative about all the ways to kill yourself. Just about everywhere you look is potential. To be honest, I though a gun would be rater messy. A shot to the heart will equal at least 10 seconds of agonizing pain, and a shot to the head would need to sever the spinal column to guarantee total lights out or risk ending up as a vegetable. Personally, I thought medical overdose appeared most attractive at the time. Simply taking away one source of lethality will not stop a person from committing suicide. If you want to help them you need to provide support not simply say, "Well now that that's gone we will not have to worry."

Technical speaking, if a person goes all the way to a gun store, has the conscious awareness to sign all the paper, buy the gun, and go all the way back to murder someone it is not an impulse. it is premeditated.

For a court of law, yes; however, a few nights of good sleep might still prevent a murder-suicide or two.

Quote:
I don't believe anyone is arguing for surface to air missiles. I would make the assertion that if a person is to defend themselves against an armed opponent then they should at lest be somewhat equally equipped. For example, if a criminal were to come to my house with a semi auto pistol or rifle I would pretty much be dead as a door nail. Not because I don't have a means to defend myself , but because he has a semi auto and I have a bolt action. That is not to say we should have fully automatic weapons because the criminal have them. However it must be said that a semi auto pistol or rifle offers a decisive technological advantage. As for ammo capacity, what is to stop a criminal from simply gluing magazines together or carrying extra magazines ? it is not going to stop the concept of high capacity magazines or drums from existing and it certainly will not stop murder. So where is the advantage of a ban?

So where does the line get drawn? If the local gang got a line on 3-inch mortars, do you need one too? Or shoulder-fired grenade launchers? The simple fact of the matter is that a line currently exists. Without a enforced line, there is an arms race between criminals and those who are afraid of criminals; moving the line means that criminals may have a temporary advantage, but it will rapidly decrease as criminal firearms are confiscated and destroyed and guns are turned in in buy-back programs.

Quote:
Ah, I believe I misunderstood you about background checks. You are talking about non authorized dealer transaction, such as from neighbor to neighbor. Yea, they do happen. I have even seen a couple occur. How do you propose to stop it from happening ( especially the criminal ones)?

Same as when you buy or sell a car - you have to register it through the DMV. Buying and selling a gun - especially higher-power guns - should not be easier than buying and selling a car.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:01 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
Sherlock03 wrote:
Quote:
Does waiting period differ from state to state?
Usually it depends on your history. I am relatively young and have never done anything wrong so my background check was processed in only five minutes. However people sometimes get 24 hour holds for past incidents. Waiting time is also different in some states like California where there is a mandatory wait periods.

I've been looking into the requirements to become an FFL for a start-up I'm working on. The background check process is really sketchy the more you look into what actually happens - mostly because the background check system is woefully underfunded, but also because some states refuse to let the FBI be the point of contact for background checks and then refuse to budget for their own state-run programs.

Before we start talking about adding new gun control measures, lets make sure the processes we have in place currently are working as designed (they aren't), and put some money into modernizing the process.

QFT

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if the NRA got its wish and there was a pistol in every pocket, what would likely happen? in the old west, how did it go when everybody was armed? what did law enforcement do in that case?

The NRA doesn't want a pistol in every pocket.
http://www.theroot.com/views/fear-black-gun-owner

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:07 pm

LKL wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
if the NRA got its wish and there was a pistol in every pocket, what would likely happen? in the old west, how did it go when everybody was armed? what did law enforcement do in that case?

The NRA doesn't want a pistol in every pocket.
http://www.theroot.com/views/fear-black-gun-owner

oops :oops: I should have specified "a pistol in every WHITE pocket."

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
oops :oops: I should have specified "a pistol in every WHITE pocket."

Yes, they're so afraid of black gun owners that they've recently hired a black man as their public face:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrColionNoir

The same NRA that was formed by retired Union officers in the wake of the civil war, the same one that fights gun control rooted in racism?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... ssociation
http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/cramer.racism.html

- Rick Sanchez

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 5:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnWHC7B34Qw[/youtube]

Another good video that looks at the racism disguised as comedy in the Sara Silverman Video.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 5:20 pm

ok then, consider THIS (why the NRA doesn't consider blacks in recruitment)

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:15 pm

Quote:
For a court of law, yes; however, a few nights of good sleep might still prevent a murder-suicide or two.

Well, I would still concider it premeditated even out of the court room but thats besides the point. I am not sure if the concept of, " Give it a week and if you still what to murder someone come back and see us." is the best way to stop murders. It is very possible after a ten year waiting period they may have completely forgotten about the problem. However, will this technique stop the vast majority of murders that take place in the U.S?

Quote:
So where does the line get drawn? If the local gang got a line on 3-inch mortars, do you need one too? Or shoulder-fired grenade launchers? The simple fact of the matter is that a line currently exists. Without a enforced line, there is an arms race between criminals and those who are afraid of criminals; moving the line means that criminals may have a temporary advantage, but it will rapidly decrease as criminal firearms are confiscated and destroyed and guns are turned in in buy-back programs.

I would say the line gets drawn at automatic weapons( the RPGs and mortars would obvious be quite future down the continuum). Realistically owning heavy weapons or even automatic weapons is not going to increase your chance of survival, unless you were to start ww3 :lol: . The same cannot be said of semi auto weapons, so I do not really understand your point here?

Quote:
Same as when you buy or sell a car - you have to register it through the DMV. Buying and selling a gun - especially higher-power guns - should not be easier than buying and selling a car.
Well, a car is what I would call a very big. So big in fact, that it could not possibly fit into your pocket. Realistically cars are easy to registered because you can't really hide them. You drive them on public road in public places and you will never be looking at someone and say, " Holly shi* where did he pull that car out from." There are around 310 million guns in this country. To be honest though no one really knows how many there are. Sure you could register every new gun but what good will that do? Once the gun is sold their is no guarantee it will stay with the owner. If they have trouble finding a car that gets stolen how in the world are they going to find something small enough to fit in a glove compartment? It seems woefully unrealistic.

Last edited by Sherlock03 on 29 Sep 2013, 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:26 pm

Quote:
why the NRA doesn't consider blacks in recruitment

I have never been targeted for membership by gardening clubs and a host of other membership ( including the NRA.) I don't think they have anything against me personally. They probably just don't think I will join.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Did you actually read that article? It talks about the NRA not specifically reaching out to the black community, nothing about racism within the organization.

- Rick Sanchez

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:42 pm

Dox47 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Did you actually read that article? It talks about the NRA not specifically reaching out to the black community, nothing about racism within the organization.

I read it. the effect is FELT as institutional racism within the black community. feelings matter, something to which the NRA seems numb.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:48 pm

LKL wrote:

Or it might get someone killed, like when a DV victim's abuser decides that a restraining order is just a piece of paper.

LKL wrote:

Well, Constitutionally speaking, "arms" is a distinct category of weapons, as distinguished from "ordnance", but to me, the easy test is discrimination. Is the weapon discrete in it's effect? Rifles, pistols, shotguns, all of these fire discrete projectiles at specific targets, while things like grenades and mortars have wide areas of effect and are indiscriminate. Now that's giving your "argument" more attention than it deserves, as we all know that no one is arguing for those things and it's just a red herring you like to deploy whenever this comes up, but that's my answer to it.

Lol at buyback programs. Do you know what get's turned in to buyback programs? Junk guns that are worth less than the amount being offered, old war trophies that widows don't want, and crime guns that crooks want to ditch "no questions asked". This is what I mean when I say you people need to learn before you talk, a minute on Google, or maybe five minutes of thinking about it, would demonstrate the fallaciousness of the gun buyback.

LKL wrote:

Cars are far more dangerous than guns, are not Constitutionally guaranteed to the people, do not have an entire lobby dedicated to seizing and banning them, and registration of them does not have a history of leading to confiscation. Further, what crime fighting purpose would it have? Can you point to a country that used a gun registry to successfully fight violent crime? I can point to a number of expensive boondoggles (*cough*Canada!*cough*), success stories are so far elusive.

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I read it. the effect is FELT as institutional racism within the black community. feelings matter, something to which the NRA seems numb.

Does the NRA bar black members? Does it actively discriminate? What you seem to be arguing is that it's racist to not specifically reach out to any given group, which would make everyone racist as no one is actively reaching out to every given race.

As to feelings. plenty of people here feel that taxation is theft, yet you don't really respect those feelings now, do you? You judge the importance of feelings based on how closely they adhere to your own, in which case you think your feelings trump facts. Like in this case, where your partisan dislike for the NRA is causing you to contort yourself to try and portray the organization as racist, despite the facts being against you.

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:59 pm

Sherlock03 wrote:
I am not sure how the black community would "feel" if they were specifically targeted for membership by the NRA.

I remember years ago when a local paper made a point of hiring homeless people to hand out their paper, and a homeless advocacy group immediately made a big stink about them "exploiting" the homeless by giving them jobs... I imagine the reaction would be along those lines.

- Rick Sanchez

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 7:03 pm

I am not sure how the black community would "feel" if they were specifically targeted for membership by the NRA.