Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2013, 7:02 pm

I got fired 4 days ago, the reason I got fired is because i was making mistakes with details. I think it was a combination of my autistic tendencies and my adhd. I was just starting to get something of a handle on the job after just about 2 months, but of course making the occasional mistake. I really enjoyed working there and felt i had good friends there. The employer said he would give me a good character reference but would tell anyone of my "condition"

how has anyone dealt with answering the uncomfortable questions about getting fired so soon and for the reasons I mentioned above.

P.S What really bothers me is that I was uncharacteristically honest and very personal at my interview, revealing the fact I'm autistic etc for the first time to a stranger. I feel as though my honesty and effort wasn't enough or didn't "fit"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 8:21 pm

sorry man, join the club, many of us have been fired from something or another. at least you can take some cold comfort from the fact that you are not alone in this.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 8:47 pm

Mitrovah wrote:
The employer said he would give me a good character reference but would tell anyone of my "condition"

Why would the employer tell anyone about you being autistic (or adhd)? Even if it's blatantly obvious that one of your "conditions" caused your poor work performance (and I doubt the employer has the expertise to conclude thus), it seems like it might be illegal for the employer to talk about your health conditions in a professional capacity.

Quote:
P.S What really bothers me is that I was uncharacteristically honest and very personal at my interview, revealing the fact I'm autistic etc for the first time to a stranger. I feel as though my honesty and effort wasn't enough or didn't "fit"

Why would you feel that way if you were specifically fired for making mistakes? The fact that you were hired implies that your interview performance was at least satisfactory, and I see no reason to connect the interview with being fired.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 4:48 am

Mitrovah wrote:
I got fired 4 days ago, the reason I got fired is because i was making mistakes with details. I think it was a combination of my autistic tendencies and my adhd.

They said it was due to mistakes with details? I'm surprised - people with autistic tendencies are reknown for being very attentive too detail, almost too much, that they miss the big picture, fail to prioritize or pick up on what's really expected, etc. Maybe you did what I sometimes do which is force myself to be more executive functioning, see the big picture etc, and then miss some details in the process. Or maybe it was a multitasking thing...? that's one thing I can think of that can cause us to overlook details - all comes down to executive functioning and processing multiple threads so to speak.

Many of the firing stories I've heard on here and elsewhere revolve around someone who was spending too much time on a task ensuring accuracy and quality when it should have been "obvious" to them that such attention to detail was not necessary and they should have just done it quickly then focused on more pressing stuff.

Also, did he give specific examples?? I'm suspicious he was just finding an excuse otherwise...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 5:07 pm

^^^
many aspies cannot prioritize that easily, all input might as well be the same.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 4:24 pm

Jayo wrote:
Mitrovah wrote:
I got fired 4 days ago, the reason I got fired is because i was making mistakes with details. I think it was a combination of my autistic tendencies and my adhd.

They said it was due to mistakes with details? I'm surprised -

Why? A lot of people on the spectrum have trouble processing information on the fly, and keeping track of details.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2013, 6:12 pm

we need to let capitalism collapse.... it ain't good... i would go for other routes to get media ...
like hdd's and illegal downloading... keeps money out of riaa/mpaa
and tpia if your in canada...

capitalism hasn't benefited me at all... no job.. plus taxes = debt... i live off the backs of my parents and at the same time they drive me nuts.... hard to move out if the land is controlled by the globalist's

a good book would be ecoscience: population, resources, environment by john p holdren... this book is f****d up... the schools don't tell you about this because they are controlled by the same people.

:evil:

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 6:49 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Jayo wrote:
Mitrovah wrote:

They said it was due to mistakes with details? I'm surprised -

Why? A lot of people on the spectrum have trouble processing information on the fly, and keeping track of details.

Well, yeah, sometimes I can...since I need more time to digest it and prioritize the details, it really comes down to executive function. While we can be very good with detail orientation, sometimes it becomes pedantic or trivially so, without us realizing the greater context which would "tell" us what priority we should accord those details.

B220
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2013, 11:38 pm

I got fired from two different jobs because they found out that I wasnt "Neurotypical"
They wanted someone who could carry on a conversation in the normal fashion...

Sucks balls, so I try not to think about it too much.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 11:48 pm

for all of my working life, I had one goal and one goal only- to last long enough to where I could eventually escape from the rat race.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2013, 12:08 am

have you read ecoscience: population, resources, environment
best bet is to get it used...
important info...

autism is related to this agenda :evil:

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2013, 2:49 am

Lie.

Money is all that matters. Money means life or death. No one needs to know about your condition, since no one needs to know about your condition. When it comes to job security, you need to make yourself the best person you can be or else they'll get rid of you. Making minor-occasional mistakes is too much when there's people outside drooling to get your job. Do no tell anyone your were fire. Forget that you even have that on resume, since you weren't even there long enough for it to count.

I doubt that the knowledge of your condition is what made you get fired, but the fact that you made occasional mistakes.

I learn the art of lying when I can get away with it, and when I can, and I'll lie whenever it benefits me. There's no time to play the saint when it comes to the game of money.

Alexandriaprim
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2013, 6:24 pm

This just happened to me last week, my boss fired me. He said I gave really bad customer service and was doing my job too slowly. I had been working at that job for about 2 months. It sucks and I wish that I could find a permanent career.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 7:19 pm

if it weren't for inheritance, my permanent career would be homelessness living under a bridge.