Offically 7 days before my Psych Evaluation!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

7on
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2007, 1:53 am

I was putting off posting here until I was officially diagnosed but I think I need an outlet to speak my mind and this would probably be the ideal place.

SO I've lived with my current roommate for about a year and a half and during that time he's said that I have Asperger's about 3-4 times. I always thought he was being silly/mean about it. Anyway, I never really looked at it since he explained it as being "autism lite" and I really didn't see myself as being autistic. Anyway recently there was a story in the news about a woman with Asperger's and as I read it many of her nuances sounded like me (even things I didn't think were even a problem like not liking to be touched or having sensitive hearing). Anyway, I went to the University Counseling and they recommended that I under go a psych eval to diagnose whether or not I had Asperger's. Officially I thought I could function without ever being diagnosed (I do have to pay for the medical visit afterall) though since I discovered this probability I have noticed many things that I thought were only personal quirks to be really something NTs don't have problems with. Like getting really upset at very minor social things or disappearing into my own mind/fantasy to a point where when I jump out of it I'm in the middle of a mini-seizure. Plus I'm dating a girl right now and I don't want it to end up like previous semi-relationships I've had (I'd try too hard and get frustrated when the girl didn't put in equal effort). Anyway all the online tests I've taken definitely put me in the Asperger range and all the counselors I've talked to have recommended me to get the psych eval.

My counselor, until our next meeting, has given me the assignment to focus on working with keeping eye contact. If anyone knows of any tricks or 1337H4>< then by all means share :D

So my Psych eval is on February 9th - a week from today. I'm a little nervous because I just don't like doctors. In fact I avoid them most of the time if all possible (I've never had a flu shot and pretty much had to be tricked into seeing a doctor/nurse for physical illness back in my HS days).

Anyway I'll probably stay pretty low key until an official diagnosis as I don't want to misrepresent myself.

(PS I do appreciate the T-Mobile ads since one of my obsessions is with Germany and they are a German brand :p) I also have an obsession with last names for an odd reason (and name etymology in general). Also I tend to NOT excel in math. Numbers get turned around and I have a problem with basic arithmetic. I used to think I was dyslexic - but that didn't make sense since I sped read. So I'd say I was mathlexic. Yeah, I tend to be a word smith too.

AspiePrincess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2007, 2:10 am

Hey, Welcome! I actually did wait to post until I was officially diagnosed, (which happened today) it was hard as I had some things I wanted to say.

Anywho, thanks for sharing your story, I hope all goes well for you!! :0)

Last edited by AspiePrincess on 02 Feb 2007, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2007, 2:48 am

Hey, you shouldn't be to concerned about a official diagnosis. It means nothing at all. There's not much that the Doc's can do for you, well besides take your money for "counseling to train you" to become normal. Well I understand if you don't live in the USA, you probably won't get benefits for getting a aspergers diagnosis.

I don't mean to sound rude. That was just my experience.

AspiePrincess

02 Feb 2007, 3:04 am

The doc didn't take my money as my diagnosis was paid for already. As for benefits, it's ture that the USA have lot's of them for people with ASD now, I don't know about other countries. But I do know that getting an official diagnosis means a lot, when you're trying to figure yourself out and are feeling lost. I know it means a lot to me. :)

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2007, 3:07 am

DX doesn't do a bloody thing except give you draft immunity.

s1lenze

02 Feb 2007, 3:18 am

when you say "mathlexic" do you mean dyscalculic?

Hidden__Energy

02 Feb 2007, 8:12 am

AspiePrincess wrote:
As for benefits, it's ture that the USA have lot's of them for people with ASD now,

Which benefits do you get in the US ?

7on
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2007, 9:11 am

AspiePrincess wrote:
The doc didn't take my money as my diagnosis was paid for already. As for benefits, it's ture that the USA have lot's of them for people with ASD now, I don't know about other countries. But I do know that getting an official diagnosis means a lot, when you're trying to figure yourself out and are feeling lost. I know it means a lot to me. :)

Yeah, health insurance is taking care of a lot of it, but I do have to pay the $50 copay - which in college student standards is a lot :) And yes I do live in the USA.

I guess it all boils down to me really wanting a statement from a professional that I have something wrong with me. Since I've lived like this for so long I'd really like an official explanation. And who knows? Maybe I'll turn out to be schizophrenic and this forum doesn't really exist :p

And I probably mean dyscalculic.

Last night was especially hard as since I've suspected this semester I've been trying to go "out" more and some friends who promised to call me about doing stuff never ended up calling. So I was upset and nervous and ended up calling several times - but everyone became sick and one person was only drinking with people I didn't know and she had left her phone home. I need a lot of social coaching apparently :p

7on
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2007, 12:42 pm

ewww, so I came back from the doctor with a diagnosis :\

No, I don't have Asperger's. :/

But I have Schizotypal Personality Disorder with Mild OCD and a possible Math Learning Disability :[

He did say that it does get seen as mild AS some of the time.

Just thought I'd share :o

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2007, 1:00 pm

7on wrote:
ewww, so I came back from the doctor with a diagnosis :\

No, I don't have Asperger's. :/

But I have Schizotypal Personality Disorder with Mild OCD and a possible Math Learning Disability :[

He did say that it does get seen as mild AS some of the time.

Just thought I'd share :o

Hasn't your doc heard of Occam's Razor? :?
I would be inclined to think that it is more likely for Asperger's to be taken for exactly that: Schizotypal Personality Disorder with Mild OCD and a possible Math learning Disorder. After all, Asperger's overlaps with a number of other disorders. Is it more likely you have 3 different disorders or one that incorporates symptoms of all three???

7on
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2007, 2:47 pm

Melantha wrote:
Hasn't your doc heard of Occam's Razor? :?
I would be inclined to think that it is more likely for Asperger's to be taken for exactly that: Schizotypal Personality Disorder with Mild OCD and a possible Math learning Disorder. After all, Asperger's overlaps with a number of other disorders. Is it more likely you have 3 different disorders or one that incorporates symptoms of all three???

Yeah, I would think so. I may go to a larger city eventually and get another diagnosis (I currently live in a town of about 17k). He did tell me SPD actually is common with having additional disorders. I think he based the SPD off of my occasional hallucinations and paranoia. Though I don't fit in with all the symptoms as I do have a few close friends. I dunno, he said that it could either be mild Asperger's or SPD and he didn't think that it was Asperger's. He didn't give me any more concrete evidence (probably because I was paying with health insurance). Still though, I'd rather be diagnosed with mild autism than mild schizophrenia. : \ But I do think it'd be wrong to keep trying to get a diagnosis that I want.

7on
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2007, 3:07 pm

I think he might have gotten it wrong
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/a/asperge ... isdiag.htm

That site says that AS is pretty rare and he could be going off on that. Oh and he also said that we couldn't tell if it's Asperger's or Schizotypal Personality Disorder unless we got a neurologist to look at me : \ I'm now starting to think he's practicing in a small town because he's not good enough for a big town : /