n8dogg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2013, 5:42 am

Are they annoying or effective?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Oct 2013, 10:04 pm

If you use either Firefox or Chrome as your browser, there's an easy and awesome way to avoid advertisements in general: Adblock.

Seriously, give it a try. I never get ads.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 10:31 pm

They frustrate me immensely. I usually use youtube to listen to classical music. Often I'll load up a particular piece, expecting a nice, peaceful sound...and instead I get an annoying farm animal yelling in my ear about why I should buy such-and-such car insurance, with loud techno music playing in the background. It completely disrupts my mood and makes me rush to click either "skip ad" or mute as fast as humanly possible.

I understand the "why" of advertising, but I wholly disagree with the "how" in most respects. I think that advertising should never be intrusive as it is on T.V., many streaming videos, and even some news sites (they will have these full-page audio/video ads that pop up, and the only way to get out of them is to find a super-tiny "x" hidden somewhere in the ad)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2013, 11:07 pm

I understand why YouTube does em but they are not effective for me because I pay no attention to the adds except for when I can click skip; I pay no notice to what they are advertizing but I little attention to TV commercials as well & they are also ineffective for me

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 11:29 pm

What ads? Oh right I use Firefox with ABP. Now if something could be done about some of these 'production titles' on scrapes from previously broadcast docos

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

12 Oct 2013, 11:31 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
If you use either Firefox or Chrome as your browser, there's an easy and awesome way to avoid advertisements in general: Adblock.

I do the exact same thing.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2013, 11:37 pm

I wouldn't know since I use AdBlock with Firefox.

Video ads only appear within videos if the uploader chooses to do so. Since the majority of people, therefore uploaders, are obsessed with generating money any way possible, they unscrupulously agree to show ads within/outside their video(s). It's called monetization, and depending on which network you chose to make money through, you can bombard your video and watch page with numerous ads.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 12:14 am

I turn the sound off and turn away so I don't have to listen to them and I can feel like I am beating the system. The 15 second and under ones I could tolerate however the newer 30+ second ones? there just dumb. The common volume discrepency is dumb aswell with the ads being so much louder then the video, the goverment just got that issue fixed with our TV channels and now its back on Youtube.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 7:02 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

I have Adblock too. You are basically ad free, unless a website has an HTML element you can't block because they coded it a certain way.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 7:35 am

I think that most people here don't understand what the poster was referring to...adblock does not block the youtube ads since they are embedded in the videos. So to watch the videos, you have to watch the ads.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 7:42 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
I think that most people here don't understand what the poster was referring to...adblock does not block the youtube ads since they are embedded in the videos. So to watch the videos, you have to watch the ads.

Not really actually, adblock blocks those too, unless you're just watching videos that have commercials recorded into them (because they were ripped from a tv-show for example), but then you can just skip those parts manually lol.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

Uprising wrote:
Stargazer43 wrote:

Not really actually, adblock blocks those too, unless you're just watching videos that have commercials recorded into them (because they were ripped from a tv-show for example), but then you can just skip those parts manually lol.
I have adblock for FF & it does not block those adds that appear before the begging of a vid for me like those Vevo music vids. I have to wait afew seconds before I can click skip add; I can't scroll the vid forward because the vid hasn't started yet due to the add & if I close it out & then go back to the vid; the add is sometimes gone

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

nick007 wrote:
Uprising wrote:
Stargazer43 wrote:

I have adblock for FF & it does not block those adds that appear before the begging of a vid for me like those Vevo music vids. I have to wait afew seconds before I can click skip add; I can't scroll the vid forward because the vid hasn't started yet due to the add & if I close it out & then go back to the vid; the add is sometimes gone

It may be your AdBlock settings. Next time you see an add, right click on it and a menu should pop up with AdBlock being one of the options. Click on it, and it should give you options for blocking that particular Java script, URL, or whatever else it may happen to be.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Oct 2013, 2:39 pm

ASMJT wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Uprising wrote:
Stargazer43 wrote:

It may be your AdBlock settings. Next time you see an add, right click on it and a menu should pop up with AdBlock being one of the options. Click on it, and it should give you options for blocking that particular Java script, URL, or whatever else it may happen to be.

You beat me to it... :lol:

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 8:00 pm

No, because I use a script to play them with mplayer. :P

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 7:15 pm

Thanks for mentioning Adblock, Makayla - I am def. going to try that. Those ads on Youtube are soooo annoying. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes