Are there any autistic people here who had ABA?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Do you agree with ABA?
Yes 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
No 44%  44%  [ 11 ]
I don't know 32%  32%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 25

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2013, 8:31 am

ABA which is therapy to help autistic people to learn new skills and learn how to function better.It is hated by a huge amount of people. People seem to call it cruelty to children with autism. People also say that people on the spectrum are the way they are, and shouldn't be changed. However, I had ABA, and am very thankful for this. It hasn't got rid of my autism. It hasn't changed who I am, but it's just helped me. It's given me better skills. before I had the therapy, I was stimming all day every day. The ABA has not stopped my stimming, (and I believe this is good, because stimming has it's purpose), but it has helps me to control it, and this is good because I'm able to function better). However, a lot of people seem to despise ABA. I've heard a lot of autistic people say they don't agree with it, but the people who say that are generally those who are really high functioning and have never had any experiences of ABA. They can't speak for those who are much more severely effected. I have had ABA and am very thankful for this. I don't agree with all ABA consultants. Some say you should completely try to change a person from who they are. They say you should stop them from stimming all the time. I disagree with, but I think anything that help is good.
I haven't heard many views of those who have had ABA, so I'd like to ask if anyone on Wrong Planet has had ABA, and how they feel about it. Do you disagree with it? If you've experienced ABA, please let me know your thoughts on it & how you found it. I'm hoping to write an article for my blog about ABA, and if it's ok with you, I'd like to share what all of you have to say about ABA.
Thank you.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 8:51 am

I haven't had ABA, but I have had CBT. I found it could be helpful in broadening my expectations of myself (by doing things I wouldn't otherwise do.) But it cannot really change how I experience the world - just how I appear to others.

I am curious as to what ABA involves, if you would care to share.

saimand
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2013, 9:00 am

havent had ABA, had CBT but only wish I had ABA...I agree with ABA cuz for now it is the only scientifically approved method fo ASD (and other disorders including LD,behavioural disorders etc etc)...but I use it with kids on spectrum and severe learning disabilities...the only thing thats wrong in ABA is that its been missinterpreted, and function deends on how good the therapist is...so :wtg: ABA

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2013, 11:25 am

AlexWelshman wrote:
ABA which is therapy to help autistic people to learn new skills and learn how to function better.It is hated by a huge amount of people. People seem to call it cruelty to children with autism. People also say that people on the spectrum are the way they are, and shouldn't be changed. However, I had ABA, and am very thankful for this. It hasn't got rid of my autism. It hasn't changed who I am, but it's just helped me. It's given me better skills. before I had the therapy, I was stimming all day every day. The ABA has not stopped my stimming, (and I believe this is good, because stimming has it's purpose), but it has helps me to control it, and this is good because I'm able to function better). However, a lot of people seem to despise ABA. I've heard a lot of autistic people say they don't agree with it, but the people who say that are generally those who are really high functioning and have never had any experiences of ABA. They can't speak for those who are much more severely effected. I have had ABA and am very thankful for this. I don't agree with all ABA consultants. Some say you should completely try to change a person from who they are. They say you should stop them from stimming all the time. I disagree with, but I think anything that help is good.
I haven't heard many views of those who have had ABA, so I'd like to ask if anyone on Wrong Planet has had ABA, and how they feel about it. Do you disagree with it? If you've experienced ABA, please let me know your thoughts on it & how you found it. I'm hoping to write an article for my blog about ABA, and if it's ok with you, I'd like to share what all of you have to say about ABA.
Thank you.

There seems to be different types of ABA and the one lot ASD people are thinking about is the old kind that way it used to be done. From what I read about the current ones, it sounds more like therapy like I got in speech and group therapy. You earn bucks for doing things an then you trade it in for prizes and all that was fun. In speech therapy, it was speech bucks we earned. In group therapy, we earn chips and the teacher would put them in our cups we kept them in with our names on it. I never ever felt I was doing anything wrong and that is not the way teachers made it to be when they were teaching us. There are therapies out there for kids where they don't feel they are broken and have anything wrong with them when they are getting help. Some ASD people may not even call this ABA if it's done this way because they have their own perception on what it is. I have never seen what ABA is really like ASD people are talking about except that it would last eight hours a day every single day of the week and being told what you are doing is wrong. I never felt that way in my therapies. No I have never experienced ABA.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2013, 11:41 am

I had ABA from the age of 6/7 I did get it for 8 hours a day but it involved a lot of games and art and things I liked doing. I remember the later years best they used my interests to help me learn. One project was building a pond and getting tadpoles that grew into frogs the other was animation. I think they taught me everyday living skills like remembering and asking questions, sequencing in this way. Here is a link to a short film I made about ABA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN5N8hIBTgM .
Let me know what you think. I notice 2 people don't like ABA I would like to know your reasons. I believe there is some very bad ABA out there that wants to get rid of stimming and I believe we as those who are autistic should engage with ABA consultants to ensure that children with autism receive good therapy that respects who they are.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 12:43 pm

Sounds like you had a really good experience - especially the pond building!

I think it's important not to make someone feel bad about who they are. I think this is what you were getting at when you talked about cruelty. A lot of times autistic kids are made to feel bad about who they are. As long as this is not the case, there is nothing wrong with learning the language of neurotypicals.

Nice wallpaper, btw. :wink:

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2013, 1:10 pm

Thank you for your comment. It was a good experience. I would like to hear from those who had a bad experience. Where are all you people who have had ABA?

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2013, 1:11 pm

I believe CBT follows the same principles as ABA.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 2:11 pm

One thing I noticed about my CBT counsellor was that he thought that by performing anxiety inducing acts that I would realize that there was nothing to be anxious about and my anxiety would disappear. This is not the case. I learned to cope with the anxiety, but it has never gone away.

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2013, 4:41 pm

Anxiety never goes away you learn to manage it. But without help it can rule your life.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 6:45 pm

I received ABA, and it is definitely the main reason that I am as neurologically typical as I am today. At the age of 2, I had a diagnosis of Low Functioning Autism. The Doctor said that I would never (yes, never) learn how to speak, read, write, or do anything for myself, effectively.

Yet, after 7 years of so of therapy, about 9 hours a day, 7 days a week, plus much teaching and guidance in the later years of my life, I have a diagnosis that says I DO NOT have autism, although my processing capabilities are below average. I know this is very unusual, I feel extremely lucky to have had the guidance and teaching that I had. No-one ever told me I should stop stimming entirely, but I did. No-one told me I should stop being so autistic (mainly because I didn't know it back then), but, eventually, of my own accord, through learning and therapy, I did, and became who I am today. It's also helped that I've had many social learning experiences in the last few years.

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough