Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 8:52 pm

I think it's hypomania that people are attracted to. Obviously hypomania can be destructive as well, but many people who experience that seem to be a lot more energetic and productive in the eyes of people with unipolar depression.

I think these people who claim to want bipolar disorder have this idea in their heads that manic or hypomanic episodes are like a holiday from depression, which is not what it is. Such extreme mood changes are very dangerous and in fact mania (even hypomania) is probably the most dangerous state to be in because you have the energy and disinhibition to follow through on risky behaviours or even psychosis. It sounds scary, to be honest.

I have a history of depression and I have never had any manic episodes. I know that I have sometimes wondered how one triggers hypomania (which is stupid and dangerous btw). What can I say? Depression is so debilitating and horrible that it can make you feel desperate and trapped. It's hard not to glorify hypomania (even if that is an objectively dumb thing to do).

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2016, 1:13 pm

For this whole post, pardon my language.

I have no idea in hell. I'm bipolar and ASD, and the combination made social interaction virtually impossible. I was pulled out of school in the eighth grade and put into a crappy alternative system for two years, and had to cry during a meeting to get back. I was attacked and emotionally abused by teachers and a pariah among kids. I couldn't do any extracurriculars, and now that I'm back, my history makes me a "ret*d" still.

Bipolar is associated with an illogical, screaming, hysterical woman. It's very hard to get people to respect me about it, and all I am is the mindless "victim". People even assume that I don't remember it! (I do.) It's like all my power is gone.

These tumblrinas think that I was manic and spent my evenings sobbing melodically out of ruby red lips while mascara ran down my moon-like eyes and my painting of a beautiful white rose lay unfinished, and my handsome lover cradled me in his f*****g arms.

Well? That's not what happened. Instead, I stimmed loudly and weirdly at the drop of a hat, argued with everyone, couldn't stand any sensory input, yelled at people for the slightest "provocation", and was borderline delusional. I was not f*****g "captivating", "mysterious", or "beautiful". I was a "ret*d" and the laughing stock of the class.

I would do almost anything to not be bipolar, and I will never, ever want it.