Working from Home - Too Good to be True?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 2:17 am

While sprucing up my room, I found a bag with a few pieces of paper in it, which I haven't seen since I left college. I remember seeing various job offers posted on bulletin boards, so when I saw an offer I liked, I ripped off part of the bottom with the phone number on it, and I put it in the bag, thinking I would apply for the job later. Well, now's later, and I'm starting to wonder if these positions are just as trustworthy as those "make-money-while-you-fill-out-surveys-after-you-give-us-your-personal-info" jobs.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2013, 2:52 am

become a youtube content creator... worth a try... harder to fire... from the internet...
remember privacy is great for aspies
use a greenscreen or a chromakey to have the ability to change the background
i'm getting into youtube in the future
living at my parents house is annoying as **** (note i have 2 homes because of the separation of my parents) - both are aggressive control freaks
so i need to plan a way to leave the nest.. might take 1 - 3 years to get equipment
and more years to grow the channel
best of luck on the internet to make money.

11 Nov 2013, 6:20 am

it is a very good idea to do work from home....

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 7:44 am

Most of those are too good to be true. There are a few legit ones, though.

If you have a computer and broadband, there are several places that hire people to work from home because what needs to be done can be done anywhere and it's easier to hire a contractor to do the work and upload it to their server than to have them come into an office.

Try checking with a center that helps disabled people get work. They may have a better idea on what places actively hire "telecommuters" who are disabled and best off working from home.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 9:35 am

Those websites to do surveys are ok, you can make a few dollars doing them but to pay rent, not sure.

There are other legit work from home jobs you can do.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2013, 11:44 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
While sprucing up my room, I found a bag with a few pieces of paper in it, which I haven't seen since I left college. I remember seeing various job offers posted on bulletin boards, so when I saw an offer I liked, I ripped off part of the bottom with the phone number on it, and I put it in the bag, thinking I would apply for the job later. Well, now's later, and I'm starting to wonder if these positions are just as trustworthy as those "make-money-while-you-fill-out-surveys-after-you-give-us-your-personal-info" jobs.

I wouldn't trust any of those jobs if you ask me though. Because they like to prey on vulnerable people who are desperate to look for work and people who are usually in this category tend to be most easily targeted by such things. So, I suggest to not fall into these things.

Try to go to a job/staffing agency, especially ones which are tailored for ASD clients and see where they can help you, specifically.

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2013, 11:09 am

My partner fills in loads and loads of online surveys. It doesn't make a full living, but it is rewarding. He gets vouchers, and in the last two years we have bought a new tv and a new cooker with those vouchers, as well as a considerable amount of our groceries and other, smaller things like a digital camera, a phone, etc. We also get tester things - mostly food but some toiletries, and sometimes he wins a little prize, like dvds or a pair of sports shoes.

I don't know all the ones he does, but three I can think of now are yougov, onepoll, populuslive. (that's in the U.K.)

AlphaNtu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2013, 3:46 pm

I've been working from home for the last year. Odesk.com, Guru.com, and Elance.com I prefer Odesk, so that's what I use. If anyone wants more info on that, I can give them the run-down. You can write articles, write blog posts, write Amazon reviews, transcribe, look up emails for clients, all kinds of tasks requiring varying levels of expertise.

You can also get paid for posting on forums at Postloop.com. I don't have the patience for it, but I did it and got paid, so I know it's legit.

Skaiser
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Nov 2013, 4:14 am

YouTube fame or at least enough to make a living would be awesome, but to even get noticed you have to have some amazing talent, eyecandy and/or friends in high places and/or living in california (sorry to sound like an ass but a friend of mine researched into this and there's a HELL of a lot of well known youtubers from there, coincidence? I think not)

These days reputation seems more important than ever to people and that's especially true with freelancing and anything to do with YouTube. You'll know you have made it when you can churn out any s**t, call it content and people still love you for it.

I'm definitely someone who would rather do the majority of his work at home, but you got to be pretty damn disciplined to make that work for you, and that's without adding in family factors like mine who just don't get most of anything I do, even having a negative impact interfering with it. It all makes the first few steps so much harder because you just feel... Alone I guess?

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 5:56 am

It is possible to make a lot of money doing surveys and questionnaires. Mturk, a company run by Amazon is a really neat company if you're looking to make some good money every month. I know people who make 600 a month just doing a three-four hours of work every day, but the average hard worker makes 200-400 without feeling too much like it's hard work. I'd be doing it myself, but they're having issues with my billing info right now, and getting through to their customer service is excessively difficult and a very long process so I have to wait and see what they plan on doing for me.

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2013, 11:03 pm

AlphaNtu wrote:
I've been working from home for the last year. Odesk.com, Guru.com, and Elance.com I prefer Odesk, so that's what I use. If anyone wants more info on that, I can give them the run-down. You can write articles, write blog posts, write Amazon reviews, transcribe, look up emails for clients, all kinds of tasks requiring varying levels of expertise.

You can also get paid for posting on forums at Postloop.com. I don't have the patience for it, but I did it and got paid, so I know it's legit.

Working from home would be the ideal thing for me (at least while I'm at college) so I'd appreciate any extra information on the best/legit websites to do it through.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 11:49 pm

My dream job is "be a world famous author/writer and work from home." 8)

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 9:07 am

I'm not sure about surveys, but Yahoo Voices is a legitimate "work from home" site. They are a site where people write articles on a wide variety of topics. You can either take assignments or write random articles on any topic. I wrote for them for a while, but eventually gave up because it took me 4-5 hours to write one article, and then I only got paid 2-3 dollars for it. The site works really well for people who can write a lot quickly. If you can write five 300 word articles an hour, that would be about $10-15 an hour. You also keep earning money through page views, so the more articles you write, the more money you will keep earning. I made around $30 during my rather brief time there.

Note that I wrote for them roughly two years ago, so the prices and maybe even the whole system has probably changed in some way.

I've also heard good things about odesk and mturk, and I probably would have tried them out already if it weren't for a situation that I'm in right now (not sure if I should have any job or not at the moment).

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 7:52 am

If it looks too good to be true, - it is!

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 9:33 pm

Lets see how working from home works?

It doesn't work for me as far as I know.
- I tried filling in surveys, always get screened out and I had only made a few couple of pounds.
- I tried a leap of things, putting adverts on some of my blogs, seems to have somewhat worked but not that I expect tbh.
- I pay per click or something like that, I have no idea what that is and yet THAT did not work.

As far as I know, I just eventually gave up and to my surprise, I end up working at a restaurant.

Imo, working from home seems too good to be true, either that or it's just my luck?

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2013, 11:26 pm

My husband works at home for Leapforce and another job he got through the university, doing research (he has a BSC in computing science). In our researches for online work, this site came up as the most reputable source of work at home links:

http://www.ratracerebellion.com/index.htm

It is mostly for jobs in the USA. Leapforce is one you can do in various countries. Just go to their own webpage