Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 7:46 pm

Sometimes, I think letters set in normal size are too small, so I have to make them bigger in order to read them comfortably. What on earth could be causing this?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 8:05 pm

At the same time, I feel funny. :( My head feels all blocked and stuff, and it feels like my eyes are tearing up and there's a weird forcefield running through my torso.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 8:34 pm

scotopic sensitivity syndrome?

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2013, 2:21 am

Perhaps you could try changing the font size, and see if that helps any. Typically it's something like CTRL+
Sometimes keyboards have a pair of keys or perhaps a slider to control zoom as well.

That works for documents and spreadsheets, but the key to change the zoom may be different. (Check the "View" or like "Edit -> Preferences/Settings/Options" menu.)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 4:19 am

Could it be shortsightedness? Without my glasses I couldn't read text in a normal font size. Could yours be the same?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 4:57 am

Go for an eye test. You may need specs or have an eye related problem that needs attention. Waste of time asking on a forum. Get a professional to check you out.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 7:20 am

I already wear glasses for nearsightedness and some astigmatism; it's just sometimes I get periods where my vision seems to get blurry, often accompanied by a weird feeling in my head and stomach, and sometimes by brightly colored squares flashing in front of my vision.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 7:21 am

starkid wrote:
scotopic sensitivity syndrome?

Maybe. I see a psychiatrist for a first-time visit on Monday. I'll ask him.

Is it a constant thing or a recurrent thing? Wiki wasn't clear about that.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 7:26 am

beneficii wrote:
I already wear glasses for nearsightedness and some astigmatism; it's just sometimes I get periods where my vision seems to get blurry, often accompanied by a weird feeling in my head and stomach, and sometimes by brightly colored squares flashing in front of my vision.

The brightly coloured flashing squares sound similar to a visual migraine. I get those occasionally - the light show but usually without a headache. It normally passes after around 20 minutes but leaves me with a dull head and unable to think clearly for an hour or two.

I also have periods where my vision seems blurry; this was particularly bad around ten years ago and neither two different ophthalmologists or a neurosurgeon could provide any explanation. By consequence I've simply set my browser to display text with a minimum size. This mangles a few websites that can handle the resizing properly but it generally helps me enormously with most websites.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2013, 8:14 am

TallyMan wrote:
beneficii wrote:

The brightly coloured flashing squares sound similar to a visual migraine. I get those occasionally - the light show but usually without a headache. It normally passes after around 20 minutes but leaves me with a dull head and unable to think clearly for an hour or two.

I also have periods where my vision seems blurry; this was particularly bad around ten years ago and neither two different ophthalmologists or a neurosurgeon could provide any explanation. By consequence I've simply set my browser to display text with a minimum size. This mangles a few websites that can handle the resizing properly but it generally helps me enormously with most websites.

Yeah I get visual migraines as well. I didn't even realise they were migraines at first because of the lack of a headache - till the doctor explained it to me.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 5:28 pm

Optical migraines can do that. They can also lead to panic attacks, which I didn't know until recently. They also aren't always accompanied by a severe headache like I assumed. I'd see an eye doctor about it first. It sounds like something the eye doctor would be able to help you with. You said you are seeing a psychiatrist for the first time and will mention it to him, and that could help since they are MD's. He might be able to give you a referral to a good eye doctor first. The eye doctor might send you to a neurologist if need be, but I'd start with the eye doctor. A real MD eye doctor, not just the kind that checks your eyes for glasses and hasn't been to medical school.