Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2017, 2:10 pm

I don't think I can call myself an aspie. According to the DSM4 aspies generally have average to above average IQ's whereas I do not. Mine is just slightly on the low side of normal "89" however I do have some very strong areas.

Mine under DSM4 would be PDD/NOS.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 2:12 pm

You're still "average" if you IQ is 85.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 2:15 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The original poster died of old age about three years ago.

But I will reply to him anyway.

Yes, vee aspergians are zee master race!

And...sorry...there is no cure for your envy.

you're just gonna hafta learn to grovel, and crawl around on the floor, whenever you are in the presence of your new aspie overlords!

Its just the way that it is. Its just a cross that you're gonna hafta learn to bear.

Is 22 old age? That's pretty sad :( .

Okay...he is still alive, but joined the French Foreign Legion and hasn't been seen nor heard from in three years.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 2:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

you're just gonna hafta learn to grovel, and crawl around on the floor, whenever you are in the presence of your new aspie overlords!

Its just the way that it is. Its just a cross that you're gonna hafta learn to bear.

Okay...he is still alive, but joined the French Foreign Legion and hasn't been seen nor heard from in three years.

Ah. Well, maybe he is just........I don't know.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2017, 3:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're still "average" if you IQ is 85.

I guess it depends on where you draw the line. http://www.brainmetrix.com/iq-definition/

The classic interpretation was 90-110. That is what I was going by. My scores were very lopsided as well scoring extremely high in some areas & dismally in others as in one case a big fat goose egg of a score.

My tester said if I did as well as I did on my good scores I wouldhave scored 140 I did so poorly on the others it knocked my score way down.

I guess this is why I feel so very dumb at times yet other times I am able to figure things out that others have trouble with.

By the way my worst scores were those that had social implications.

Last edited by germanium on 17 Aug 2017, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:32 pm

iqtomup wrote:
There are news stories about little kids with Asperger's Syndrome who do things that most physicists and mathematicians and artists dream about doing yet to them it just seems like a hobby. The media then goes to exaggerate things

Key word "exaggerate," because that's all the Media do. The rare Aspergian savant, who happens to have an obsessive personal interest that makes them seem especially impressive is the exception, not the rule. I personally resent media hyperbole gushing over successful Aspergians, as though we're all IT genius clones. The vast majority of us are lucky to have jobs, since our brains' Executive Function (the ability to form and execute complex plans) generally doesn't mature much past adolescence.

Most of us are well within the average range when it comes to IQ. Extensive vocabularies, or a deep level of accumulated knowledge on specific subjects, may make us appear more intelligent than we are, especially if you don't know us well personally.

Being envious of a diagnosed disability is simply silly. Autism is a handicap, and a debilitating and emotionally painful one. A knack for hearing sounds most people miss, or having an eye for small details may seem like superpowers, but they come at a high price. We are hypersensitive to all sorts of sensory stimuli and may find almost imperceptible noises maddening, and loud noises physically painful. We sometimes find certain fabrics excruciatingly irritating to the touch, or scents that others find pleasant may give us headaches. Some foods may make us nauseated simply because their taste or texture "feels funny" in our mouths. We may find subtle variations in temperature unbearable, and any alteration of our environment can be completely disconcerting and disorienting, becoming psychologically overwhelming to the point of emotional breakdown.

We are awkward and uncomfortable wherever we go. We are inept disasters in social situations and generally have NO friends. We are often misunderstood when we attempt to communicate, and find others angry at us for reasons we do not understand.Because of our anxieties about communicating poorly with other people, we may become hermits and never leave our homes, leading to excruciating loneliness and suicidal depression.

Trust me, it's nothing to be jealous of. :?

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 5:46 pm

will@rd, you are right about autism being nothing to be jealous over. Having autism really sucks. People treat me like I'm stupid and won't give me the same opportunities they would give to neurotypicals when it comes to jobs. Networking is extremely difficult for autistic people. I find the social aspects of networking difficult because no matter how much I have done for people, they won't help me when I need help. People will help their neurotypical friends get jobs, but their enthusiasm for me is little to none. Making friends is really hard too because people quickly figure out that I'm not one of the popular people and they dump me. I have had a person get jealous because I was able to get services from the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation and she couldn't. This girl is neurotypical and she is pretty well connected. She has never had any trouble getting a job. DVR helped me with the finances for my bachelors degree. This girl wanted a bachelors degree too and I recommended she apply for a pell grant as she would qualify for it. Pell grants cover the cost of the classes if you take no more than four at a time and there is money leftover to put towards books. I will never understand this girl's jealousy over me. Autism is no picnic. I wish the media would stop portraying autism as cool and using the term "aspie".

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 6:02 pm

I agree with everyone saying it's nothing to be jealous of. It's an impairment, a disability. Those "geniuses" are just media-propelled isolated cases, and there are people like that in the NT world too.

Most people on the spectrum, even in the "Asperger" range, are not like that and are struggling just to deal with life, regardless of intelligence level.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

I am not a genius. Personally speaking, my AS is like a learning difficulty. I will always be underemployed, and I do not have talents that I am exceptionally good at. I don't even have special interests.

I hate it when people without AS think that all Aspies are geeky geniuses. I am not a geek nor a genius. And I don't care anyway, I'd rather have 50 friends and be popular than be some mad scientist. Sadly I'm neither, but my social life IS more important to me than how high my IQ is.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I was just being purposely dumb in response to someone foolishly reviving a long dead thread ... a thread that was dumb to begin with ....that was started by a foolish asinine original post by a person who probably hasn't posted since.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 8:25 pm

I used to be an IT genius. Everything computers than I had a family and couldn't multi task. It was a huge change.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 8:38 pm

rapidroy wrote:
...some people like to romanticize the aspies and aspie life yet theres really nothing romantic about it...

My wife who passed away two weeks ago would agree with that.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I was just being purposely dumb in response to someone foolishly reviving a long dead thread ... a thread that was dumb to begin with ....that was started by a foolish asinine original post by a person who probably hasn't posted since.

Oh :D . Didn't quite pick up on that LOL. I though he had actually died.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2017, 9:28 pm

Very much a stereotype. I can barely add numbers in my head let alone to high level math required for what your describing. I am however a brilliant small engine mechanic, good at fixing model trains and operating forklifts. The last one is what I do for a living, for the huge Chrysler transmission factory here where I live. Yes, some Aspies get the "math gene" and are savants with math or other high level science type stuff. But many more are not. We all are good at something, even if its something small. Mike

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:40 pm

will@rd wrote:
iqtomup wrote:
There are news stories about little kids with Asperger's Syndrome who do things that most physicists and mathematicians and artists dream about doing yet to them it just seems like a hobby. The media then goes to exaggerate things

Key word "exaggerate," because that's all the Media do. The rare Aspergian savant, who happens to have an obsessive personal interest that makes them seem especially impressive is the exception, not the rule. I personally resent media hyperbole gushing over successful Aspergians, as though we're all IT genius clones. The vast majority of us are lucky to have jobs, since our brains' Executive Function (the ability to form and execute complex plans) generally doesn't mature much past adolescence.

Most of us are well within the average range when it comes to IQ. Extensive vocabularies, or a deep level of accumulated knowledge on specific subjects, may make us appear more intelligent than we are, especially if you don't know us well personally.

Being envious of a diagnosed disability is simply silly. Autism is a handicap, and a debilitating and emotionally painful one. A knack for hearing sounds most people miss, or having an eye for small details may seem like superpowers, but they come at a high price. We are hypersensitive to all sorts of sensory stimuli and may find almost imperceptible noises maddening, and loud noises physically painful. We sometimes find certain fabrics excruciatingly irritating to the touch, or scents that others find pleasant may give us headaches. Some foods may make us nauseated simply because their taste or texture "feels funny" in our mouths. We may find subtle variations in temperature unbearable, and any alteration of our environment can be completely disconcerting and disorienting, becoming psychologically overwhelming to the point of emotional breakdown.

We are awkward and uncomfortable wherever we go. We are inept disasters in social situations and generally have NO friends. We are often misunderstood when we attempt to communicate, and find others angry at us for reasons we do not understand.Because of our anxieties about communicating poorly with other people, we may become hermits and never leave our homes, leading to excruciating loneliness and suicidal depression.

Trust me, it's nothing to be jealous of. :?

Exactly. You said it much better than I could have.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Your posts crack me up. Talk about a dry sense of humor.