Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2014, 3:57 pm

OK, so I'm supposed to go to a physiotherapist but the first sessions didn't go to well; the exercices were bad and the therapist uncommunicative.
I chitchated about it to my mother via skype later, and after 5 minutes, she told me "ok, I just phoned the physio, everything is settled". I was WHAAAAAT? I never asked her to phone to my physio!

My mother still thinks I'm a child, and I'm 33. I'm pissed as HELL, is this the sign of a toxic mother or am I overreacting?

I'm really pissed at my mother who by her attitude, made me look like "mommy's little son" at age 33, when, as an aspie, being seen as an adult and not being patronized and infantilized is an everyday struggle and an uphill battle.

It's typical of her attitude, when I was 16, I had to pass an oral exam but that day I broke down and my mother phoned the teacher to TELL him that I was anxious and shy, and when I came back to school everyone knew about it and I was bullied endlessly which resulted in me dropping out of school.

Is my mother's attitude actually normal or am I just overreacting? My mother doesn't seem to realize she did anything wrong.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 3:59 pm

An important lesson, if you don't want them to try to help, no need to share any problems with a parent.

It's parental instinct to try to fix things for their kids.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 4:04 pm

Your situation sounds like what the "happy birthday Colin" mom is doing for her son. And I'm very sorry about that. I think your mom should've never called, she should've asked first what type of help you were seeking or if you just wanted someone to listen while you vented. Maybe you should bring up to her that sometimes you just need to vent to someone. Many times I need to just vent to someone in order to verbally work out my feelings and that's all I need.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2014, 4:09 pm

Yes indeed, I feel my situation is typical Aspie: half miscommunication, half infantilization

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 4:16 pm

Tell your mum how you feel about it and explain that you don't want her to do it again but don't call her a toxic mother or any other name. Tell her you know she meant well. I agree it was kind-of like what Colin's mother did on facebook. In both cases the mum had good intentions, to help her son but was misguided.

When I was a kid my mum was told by my gymnastics teacher that I was teased by the other kids in the class. Somehow she arranged it so that the gymnastics teacher talked to the class about me, saying that I had a learning disability (I was diagnosed with a specific learning disorder) and they shouldn't tease me just because I was different. The teacher gave the talk in-front of me and it was really embarrassing! I was about 10 years old. I screamed at my mum about telling the teacher about my disability afterwards. She never did anything like that again.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 4:30 pm

You could say that my parents were (are) toxic, too. I their case, it was a combination of denial that I might be different, and just clumsiness (both unintentional and intentional) on their part. I fixed that by generally keeping them out of my life for the most part and I've kept distance between me and them by living in another state or at least another county without visiting much.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 5:59 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Tell your mum how you feel about it and explain that you don't want her to do it again but don't call her a toxic mother or any other name. Tell her you know she meant well. I agree it was kind-of like what Colin's mother did on facebook. In both cases the mum had good intentions, to help her son but was misguided.

When I was a kid my mum was told by my gymnastics teacher that I was teased by the other kids in the class. Somehow she arranged it so that the gymnastics teacher talked to the class about me, saying that I had a learning disability (I was diagnosed with a specific learning disorder) and they shouldn't tease me just because I was different. The teacher gave the talk in-front of me and it was really embarrassing! I was about 10 years old. I screamed at my mum about telling the teacher about my disability afterwards. She never did anything like that again.

No one has ever done that sort of thing in front of me. I do remember my mom telling other kids who were mean to me that when I was little I couldn't talk and I was deaf and I almost died at birth. That didn't change anything because they still hated me and were still mean to me so that just shows how mean and closed minded they were. They didn't care.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 6:19 pm

I don't know what toxic mother actually means to be honest.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 6:33 pm

League_Girl wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

No one has ever done that sort of thing in front of me. I do remember my mom telling other kids who were mean to me that when I was little I couldn't talk and I was deaf and I almost died at birth. That didn't change anything because they still hated me and were still mean to me so that just shows how mean and closed minded they were. They didn't care.

They did stop teasing me in gymnastics class for that class and maybe one other but then started up again. I don't think she ever tried to tell the kids at school anything about me although she saw them teasing/bullying me too. They probably wouldn't have stopped teasing me if she had and might have begun teasing me about my disabilities in addition, it might have escalated the bullying. They were indeed a mean and close-minded lot.

@Babybird- Toxic mother is a metaphor. It means someone's mother is so bad for their life because of the way she treats them that it's as if she were poisonous or toxic.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 7:24 pm

babybird wrote:
I don't know what toxic mother actually means to be honest.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-definition-of-toxic-parents
Quote:
Toxic parents are parents who are a source of pain, self doubt and anxiety to their children due to the bad relationship they share. These parents usually make their children feel like they are not good enough for anything, neither respecting their rights nor their feelings. Such children develop rigid defences and negative expectations.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

Parents will undermine your interests at every opportunity, and destroy your relationships. Do not tell them anything about your personal life; they will interfere, and destroy whatever you have going.

Last edited by Stannis on 06 Mar 2014, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaBass
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2014, 8:05 pm

Sounds like mine. It is hard to face and depletes who I am. She does not like or care to find out who I am.

I am just soulless to her. A thing with Asperger's. At least many people see through her facade.

A realisation that is hurting me deeply at the moment. I feel like I have nobody.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm

/\
I haven't and don't plan to cut mine totally off (one of them is deceased, anyway) but I only have an intentionally distant relationship with the other.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 8:30 pm

"Toxic Mother" would be a great name for a rock band.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 9:01 pm

MegaBass wrote:
Sounds like mine. It is hard to face and depletes who I am. She does not like or care to find out who I am.

I am just soulless to her. A thing with Asperger's. At least many people see through her facade.

A realisation that is hurting me deeply at the moment. I feel like I have nobody.

:shrug: As Gabriel Byrne said in Miller's Crossing, "Nobody really knows anybody."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 12:17 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

They did stop teasing me in gymnastics class for that class and maybe one other but then started up again. I don't think she ever tried to tell the kids at school anything about me although she saw them teasing/bullying me too. They probably wouldn't have stopped teasing me if she had and might have begun teasing me about my disabilities in addition, it might have escalated the bullying. They were indeed a mean and close-minded lot.

And the teacher let them tease you?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.