Amtrak Sucks, And It's The Republican's Fault!! !! !

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2005, 6:37 pm

I am a big railfan, and as such, I have always wanted to use Amtrak. But whenever I want to, they always screw it up. Newark to Philly is $139. NJ Transit to SEPTA is the better option. There was a NYC-Chicago discount for $26.60, but it takes forever. We ended up driving, and it's two hours faster, despite requiring an overnight stay. Now, I'd like to try Newark to Baltimore. IT'S $221!! !! ! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THOSE MORONS!! !! ! And people wonder why there's so much traffic on the Turnpike and I-95. SO, AMTRAK, WHY DON"T YOU GO AND SCREW YOURSELF!! !! ! But wait, we know who's fault it is. The Republicans made Amtrak suck. They're all pro-car, and as such, they hate trains. Amtrak is owned by Congress, and Congress currently has a Republican majority, so those jerks rule everything there. And that sucks. What they should do is provide money for the freight railroads that previously operated them to operate them, but they don't. And besides, they're underestimating Amtrak. More people use it and depend on it than those morons think. And, though it started with Clinton, it only happened really badly after Bush got elected. SO, CONGRESS, PLEASE GO AND SCREW YOURSELF!! !! !

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2005, 7:24 pm

I only rode Amtrack once to Portland.
I loved it, great scenery that a bus
couldn't offer.

I am not understanding what sucks
about Amtrack. perhaps you can
better explain if you chose to do so.

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Apr 2005, 7:45 pm

our train system sucks. Amtrack is overpriced, no one uses it, there are not enough trains operating on the system. Everyone is using their cars instead.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2005, 7:47 pm

alex wrote:
Everyone is using their cars instead.

Not with the gas prices going up like they are. Ha ha...no more SUVs! :D

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Apr 2005, 7:48 pm

Bec wrote:
alex wrote:

People are willing to pay the extra money to have the luxury of an SUV.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2005, 8:13 pm

alex wrote:
People are willing to pay the extra money to have the luxury of an SUV.

I think the time has come to seriously consider putting restrictions on the size of engines that go into vehicles and passing new CAFE standards.

I remember the 1980's when most people bummed around in cars with tiny four cylinder engines and gas was $1.10/gal. We managed just fine then and there's no reason to believe we couldn't now.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2005, 9:04 pm

The biggest problem with Amtrack (and Greyhound as far as I am concerned) is that our transportation priorities are screwed up.

We fuind the airlines to serve every little town that can afford an airport without realizing that air transportation is not the best option to get from point A to point B.

A better setup would be to have major cities become hub transportation centers (such as NYC, Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, etc). From there, you would use rail to get to smaller cities, then finally bus would serve the smallest of towns. High speed rail would take care of the time problem for the short distances that I am talking about.

Amtrack as a national system is a losing proposition, same as bus. We need to regionalize things.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

jmatucd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2005, 10:03 pm

"Amtrak is owned by Congress, and Congress currently has a Republican majority, so those jerks rule everything there."

Please do not become an analyst!

Amtrak sucks (yes, I use it every few weeks) because of its destinations. The employees usually are not nice to customers as well. This has soemthing to do with congress? You think that congress micromanages a rail transport company? Christ blame the people who run it, don't randomly run around in circles pointing at things yelling its the Republicans fault. You won't fix anything and you'll look like dork to anyone who can use their brains for more than 2 consecutive seconds

Khraese
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2005, 10:35 pm

Republicans>democrats

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 12:13 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 4:34 am

All Amtrack Acela trains are cancelled today because of more cracks found in the brakes.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2005, 3:04 pm

LJ, I think you're right...your idea sounds perfect...the Republicans are just mad they can't make money off it. :shameonyou:

And I think that the train routes should go to the railroads that previously operated them with subsidization by Congress. :)

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 5:24 pm

The funny thing is, they probably could make money off of it if they did it properly.

I like your avitar BTW although I am more partial to the 1/9 train rather than the A train. :)

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 5:39 pm

I don't take Amtrack because I prefer not crashing into semis and derailing

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2005, 7:08 pm

Bec wrote:
alex wrote:

huh yea, I'd die with out my dads SUV or my truck. And BTW, Newyork, it ain't the republican's fault, and I don't apricate people blaming every damn thing on us.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2005, 5:27 am

Rakkety, the Republicans are trying to abolish Federal aid to Amtrack, which will kill the railroad. If they succeed, then obviously that can be blamed on the Republicans.