Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 2:03 am

Ever since I decided to quit sugar, I have become the world's unhappiest man.

I may look better for it, but I usually feel like there's a dark cloud lingering over my head.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2017, 12:13 pm

The whole 'sugar is bad for you' agenda is way overblown if you ask me. People have been eating sweets for thousands of years and it didn't kill them. I don't eat as much candy as I used to but I'm doubtful that a candy bar is lethal. It's all media hype.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 12:50 pm

This is starting to remind me of this song:

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 7:28 pm

some people live full healthy lives and have smoked since they were 12 and never had lung cancer or respiratory problems, same with sugar (since both tobacco and sugar originate from a plant and are sort of similar in addictive properties) that there is no solid proof it causes cancer or long-term damage other than a risk of type 2 diabetes or heart disease. Having diabetes myself i know how to limit myself the amount of carbs (well the amount I should anyway but I eat what I want whenever and damaging my body in the process, might aswell eat what I enjoy when I can before the inevitable happens). Diabetes might throw out the theory of sugar benefiting aspergers for me but I do enjoy a 200g bag of haribo once in a while and that for sure puts me in a great mood after a long day at the agency.

FromPluto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2017, 5:17 am

Just wanted to mention another perspective and experience. I am an Aspie and I have worsening sensory issues and other negative AS issues if I have sugar (only sucrose) or dairy. I'm talking about even a tiny smidgen (1 g of sugar or a little added butter or even too much banana) makes a big difference. I'm just mentioning this because everyone's body is different. Also sometimes a lot of starch will take me out too. Diet can have a big impact for some people. My son (I don't know what his autism status is at 21 months) gets eczema like symptoms from eggs.

Since I've cut out sugar and dairy my life has been very very very very different. Some people might do better with a good hunk of cheese in the morning (cheese how I miss you) and others will thrive on sweet organic desserts. I think it's good to be aware that diet can affect certain individuals but not to assume anything should apply to everyone.

I also think if I cut out dairy completely but still ate sugary stuff I'd still be more 'low functioning' and vice versa. Sometimes there is just a magic formula. I did an exclusion diet to figure this out after 25 years of suffering without knowing I could be better. Finding out the right combo of things to cut out was really a miracle. Hope this is helpful to someone.