Would you recommend getting a dog?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Odetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2014, 2:22 pm

I have bipolar and see a psychiatrist quarterly for it. She always asks how things are going, anything new, etc. So two visits ago, I told her about having S1 evaluated for possible ASD. She asked a lot of questions on his behavior, and kept nodding her head like, yeah, this sounds like autism.

This last visit, she asks how things were going, and I mention that we're about ready to start testing for ASD, but it's looking highly likely he is on the spectrum based on the first meeting with the developmental psychologist. She asked if we had a dog. I was not sure how that was related, but anyway, I said no, we don't. She then proceeded to tell me that we need to get one, that autistic kids respond well to dogs, and we should really consider that for S1. She went on and on about it, so much so my appointment ran twice as long as normal.

We've never had dogs. We had a cat before we had kids, but had to give it away once we realized our youngest was allergic to the dander. So we haven't had anything furry since. Darwin's fish scales don't seem to cause allergic reactions. You can't exactly cuddle with him either, though.

Getting a dog would totally change the way we run our household. I'm not sure I'm up for that, honestly, so there would have to be a compelling reason to get one. I told the psych doc that my kids were rather scared of dogs, and she said, well of course, because they aren't around them. Getting a dog will solve that, she said.

So your opinions please. Would a dog really be of that much benefit for my son? He's on the high functioning side of things, so it's not like he needs one to communicate for him or anything, if that's even what a dog would be used for. I doubt we'd need one of those specially trained dogs. If anything, I think it would be good to have a dog for companionship, or maybe to help him calm down from a meltdown. Other than that, what purpose would having a dog serve for my son? What would be the cautions? If you think this would be a good idea, what breed would you recommend?

Oh, my kids are 13 (ASD) and 10 (NT).

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 2:41 pm

I grew up with dogs and I loved them to bits. I hardly had any friends and I would spend time playing with the dogs instead. I loved the way they made such a fuss out of me everyday I came home from school. They made me feel very loved and wanted. When I used to cry over having no friends (or falling out with a family member), they would wag their tails and act really happy around me to cheer me up, and it usually worked.

It was really relaxing to stroke their fur when they slept on my lap. Although there are a lot of cat lovers around, I tend to find cats a bit distant. Dogs adore you and make a big fuss out of you.

The only drawback I can think of is sensory issues. For instance you children may not like a dog jumping up on them. I don't have a problem with dogs doing that to me, but that's me.

I would get a playful family friendly dog. I think you only need one.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm

All boys should grow up with a dog.
We had something between a Golden retriever and Alsatian, we would chase each other round and around the room and wrestle each other, I felt so proud taking it for a walk every night, in the morning it would accompany me on my paper round, at night it slept on my bed.

Don't get a little yappy thing, get something big they can be boisterous with.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 3:02 pm

Having a cuddle-able animal helped me. I have cats. I grew up with both cats and dogs. Having a cat that cuddles me is very soothing. I can talk to my kitty, and he picks up on my feelings and anxiety so he is extra cuddly when I am in a bad state or sick, and is a normal stuck up cat the rest of the time. I prefer dogs (and cats) that are calm and laid back, are very human oriented and enjoy cuddling, the pets personality is very important.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 3:45 pm

dogs are great growing up my dog was my best and sometimes only friend

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 4:06 pm

I had a Cocker Spaniel for 12 years, who was like my kid. When she passed I was so devastated, I was afraid to get another dog, the thought of losing one again was too painful.

When I was married last, my wife and I had a couple around the house, but when we split up, I was concerned that because of my tendencies to get obsessed with personal interests and forget there are even others around, that a dog might feel neglected living with me, so I had her keep them both. Now I second-guess that decision sometimes, because I feel I spend way too much time in total solitude and I think it would be healthy for me to have a dog around.

In any case, the great thing about dogs is that they accept you as you are without judgement. If your behavior is a little quirky, they couldn't care less, as long as you give them a hug once in a while and feed them regularly, they're happy to jump on you and kiss your face. That can mean a lot when the rest of the world treats you like dirt for being different.

HamtaroCappy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2014, 4:51 pm

My family's always had dogs.

Our dogs are Pugzy, a pug (female), and Faith, a Blue Healer and Border Collie mix (Also female).

I highly recommend it.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 6:43 pm

I think your psychiatrist likes dogs a lot and wanted to talk about them. Which isn't very professional behavior, but she seems to mean well.

Odetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2014, 7:04 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought. But as a family - ok, as me and the boys - we've discussed the idea of a dog before, and kind of go back and forth on it. DH isn't really thrilled with the idea. I'm hesitant. After all, we have heretofore not been dog people. But I can see the appeal. I'm tempted. Quite tempted. Ahhh, it would be a big step for us.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 6:00 am

I only can talk about cats, but I think the benefit of an pet for autistic kids is simply, that at least you have someone, that does not blame you all the time for not being able to function 100% NT, but simply accepts and comforts you the way you are.

So they are not telling you to be silly to be sad about thinking this or that way, or because of being sad of something others dont understand, and so on.

Its simply about having a friend. If your kid has no problems with finding friends, I think there will be no special need for an extra-pet friend. But if your kid has often problems with finding and keeping friends it might be a good idea.

If you never had dogs and have no experiences with them, typical "family-friendly" breeds would be good for starting. Coworker of mine wanted to have a border collie for her kids, but the breeder herself told her, that border collies should rather be owned by experienced dog users. The breeder instead recommended her as starter dog a good socialized golden or labrador retriever or an Malteser (depending on the dog size you want to own) puppie instead. (Means one that has been born in an family home and already is used to humans, unlike typical farm puppies.) Actually the golden retriever she now owns (she takes it sometimes to company) is really uncomplicated and totally friendly. (But according to the coworker you should not expect it to be a watchdog for the house, at most the dog would fit as alarm device because of its barking happily for an possible playmate arriving. ^^)

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 7:22 am

When I was a kid, my mother bought me a little "ankle-biter" mixed breed because she didn't want a big dog in the house. The dog loved my mom and barely tolerated me, even though I have always been good with animals in general. It just wasn't a child-friendly dog. So, if you do decide to get a dog, be very careful about the breed and personality. I have been thinking about getting a beagle for my family, but l just don't know if I want the hassle. We have a cat who is patient with the kids, but prefers to be left alone most of the time. We also have a couple of goldfish, but no one really considers them pets; they're more like decorations. We've had them for almost a year, and no one has even named them! :lol:

triplemoon18
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Mar 2014, 7:47 am

My daughter is high functioning ASD and we have 4 cats. She is really close to them and they really calm her down. Most of them will sit on her lap, even though they won't sit on mine. I think she shares a really close bond with them and they have taught her to take care of somebody.

legokitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2014, 9:41 am

Depending on your household. A dog, like a child, does better in a structured calm environment. A lot of aspies seem to like rabbits or other unusual pets like lizards. Rabbits are quiet and calm. They will potty train and do not need yard time. People can be allergic, similar to cats. I would not get a pet store bun. Go to a specialty breeder. Picking out the bun and learning about it one on one at the breeder's house would be easier for your son. A lab is a good family pet but can be highly active and needs to run around the yard. They are too much stim for some. If your son needs a trampoline, a lab would be great. Dogs, even untrained, seem to always know when someone is having a seizure day. We have had better luck with puppies. Adult shelter dogs are going to have issues that you don't want to deal with. The best training is to leash the puppy to you for a few weeks other than when he is having crate time. That avoids potty issues and he bonds with you. I would have your son be in charge of the leash most of the time. Avoid getting something with high grooming needs unless you want to be stuck with one more chore. Labs do need some brushing and will blow their coat. We've liked smarter breeds, like huskies, akita, chows, but you have to learn their ways and be serious about their training. The pet store puppy training classes are helpful for beginners.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 9:48 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I think your psychiatrist likes dogs a lot and wanted to talk about them. Which isn't very professional behavior, but she seems to mean well.

Odetta wrote:
Yeah, that's what I thought. But as a family - ok, as me and the boys - we've discussed the idea of a dog before, and kind of go back and forth on it. DH isn't really thrilled with the idea. I'm hesitant. After all, we have heretofore not been dog people. But I can see the appeal. I'm tempted. Quite tempted. Ahhh, it would be a big step for us.

I have learnt to be wary of people that mean well. A dog is a reponsibility and if your DH is not thrilled with the idea you should ask yourself wether YOU want a dog because more or less inevitably YOU will be the one doing a lot of the not-so-nice dog related things.

We have a cat. Dog is a big no-no in our house because I would be the one doing all the not-so-nice dog related things since my DH is not exactly a dog lover either. He would let me have one if I really wanted but it would be my responsibility.

DD is diagnosed HFA and 10. The cat never took to her despite us having had it since kitten. Cat is 4 now and DD still don't really get it when he hisses at her. She is getting better though. She means well. Sometimes you can see her thinking when she has yet again annoyed the cat to the point he has gone in hiding.
The cat on the other hand seems to know she means well too. On good days he will sleep on her bed so we will get there one day.
Feeding the cat is another story though. She rarely, if ever, feeds it from her own accord. She will give him cat sweeties though and on a good day some cat milk but the routine of feeding proper is lost on her.

I've wrecked my brain as to what animal I could get her bearing in mind the cat is a proper mouser so anything rodent-like is just not worth it. I know she would benefit on an emotional level from a furry friend but it's just one of those things I am not prepared to compromise on.

Odetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2014, 2:31 pm

A cat is not possible because of allergies. It's not as simple as red eyes and a runny nose - our youngest gets reactive asthma. I'm not even sure a dog would work in this case, although I hear there are hypoallergenic dog breeds. Just not sure if those are the same breeds that would be family friendly.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 2:57 pm

If you aren't really dog people. I would not necessarily think you should jump into it. It is not something you can really try and back out of like letting the kids take a trial run at joining a club. If there are days when everyone is feeling like c**p and no one wants to take the dog out for a walk(or the weather is bad!) ---someone still will have to do it.

If it is something you (not the shrunk---you) really think you might want, I would try to find someone to let you take a test run first. Maybe if you know someone who wants to take a vacation, but cannot take the dog, or something.