Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 11:20 am

I start work today. I am scared. I am afraid I will mess things up with my AS. In the past, I have had conflicts with people, communication problems, etc. In hindsight, I realize it was my AS. My last job, I cursed out my direct supervisor and walked out because I didn't know how to handle things. I also ended up getting hurt at my last job working too hard. I am not a team player, never have been able to fit in with a team, doubt I ever will be able to. Anyway, I am going to show up and do the best that I can. I needed to share these fears with someone. Anybody else work in the kitchen of restaurants?

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2014, 11:39 am

I can relate to these issues as I've had many of them in the past as well. I'm not a team player either and it seems everyone wants a team player even for positions that would drive someone with a team player personality mad. The best you can is the best you can do. Even if it doesn't work out at least be able to tell yourself you tried your best. I can't say I've ever worked in kitchens since I am well aware of my very limited ability to cope in such an environment. I would not last more than a couple days.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 12:27 pm

An autistic friend of mine worked in kitchens doing the prep work - he liked it. The first week will probably be traumatic, but once you get a routine established, you should be okay. As far as getting along with people, pretend that you are easy going. Before you react, think how would an easy going person react, and then do that.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 1:27 pm

Hi, I worked in a kitchen at a small pizza restaurant. I've also worked as a waiter and a pizza delivery driver.

Alright, one thing, first day of a job, it's okay to get there fifteen minutes early, it's okay to get there 5 minutes early. So, early if possible, but not uncomfortably early.

I do not like being criticized. One time at the pizza place, the guy criticized me for taking too long to clean up water which has gotten onto the floor of the walk-in cooler when he had no idea how much water was on the floor. It's like the person is less engaged than I am, cares less than I do, and still criticizes me.

The zen approach is just for me to care less. I show up on time (or slightly early) and I show up sober, and everything past that is a bonus. A good medium rate of speed, and I will make mistakes, that's okay. You can even criticize me for mistakes. So, I go medium, I get into the flow, and thus I'm more ready if we really get busy. And if 100 is the official maximum speed and 110 is the real maximum we can handle, I try and give them a brief heads up at 90, 95, etc, without overdoing it. A lot of bosses just don't want to know, it really is amazing.

If you get hurt, please sit down. The act of sitting is a physical statement that you really are hurt or sick. Please don't let them bully you into continuing to work, which I have went along with when I've been sick on a couple of occasions. And when standing and working at a counter or table, maybe put the front/side of your hip against it kind of as leverage and to help preserve your back. And please don't work so fast that you get hurt.

PS An interesting story, a guy was telling me about his brother who worked at a grocery store. And the brother cursed out his boss, but he did not get fired because he was a good worker. Later when he calmed down, the boss just told him, hey, when you get upset, try not to say all that. Not that I'd recommend it as any kind of percentage move (!) But just goes to show you that it's a crazy world.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 12:40 am

My first day went okay. I hate fast food. I am definitely going to look for something related to my degree.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 10:08 am

What did you get your degree in?

I could understand why one wouldn't like fast food. The salary sucks, you have to worker harder than in most jobs, and the bosses tend to be bitter, because they were forced to work in fast food as a career.

In the meantime, I would try to stick it out for now.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 5:12 pm

I'm glad the first day went okay. And yes, by all means, continue looking for a better job.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm

I have a bachelor's degree in psychology. It is useless.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:43 am

I have a integrated degree in Philosophy/Classics. I would say it's useless in getting a job, but I found the education to be very useful.

Those fast food places can be good for getting promotions in. But you'd have to stick it out for a while. Personally, I find the noise and smells overwhelming, but it is an ill experience that is of no use at all.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:54 pm

I also have a bachelor's in psychology! :D

And sadly . . . I have not exactly found it all that helpful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 8:14 am

How's the job coming?

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 1:21 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
If you get hurt, please sit down. The act of sitting is a physical statement that you really are hurt or sick. Please don't let them bully you into continuing to work, which I have went along with when I've been sick on a couple of occasions. And when standing and working at a counter or table, maybe put the front/side of your hip against it kind of as leverage and to help preserve your back. And please don't work so fast that you get hurt.

Ah, yeah, I second that. I've played through that pain at all of my prior jobs and have some permanent repercussions now (only 34).

I still don't know how I made it through so many hours of fast food, restaurant and retail. The noise, the stimulation, the stressed out customers intentionally pushing your buttons (worst customers ever are at Cracker Barrel... far worse than fast food and truck stop restaurants).

I bit down the panic until the slow times and then hid in the bathroom or stock room as often as possible.

Prep cook was better for me than bussing tables or cashiering.