Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 6:22 pm

www.gammaaminobutyricacid.org

Lots of information in this website

-how gaba deficiency affects people
-how gaba helps
-side effects

GABA totally relieved my anxiety (which was severe), regulated my sleep, restored motivation and has helped me function at my best as nothing else ever has. All my aspergers symptoms have improved.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 7:48 pm

Thanks for posting this, I'll check it out. What dose do you take, if you don't mind?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 7:55 pm

500mg three times a day.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 8:09 pm

On an empty stomach. Don't take it with other pills or supplements at the same time, wait 20 minutes before eating. If you take it with food or other stuff, it competes to be taken across the blood/brain barrier and may have little effect. This is true of all amino acids.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 8:13 pm

I've been considering taking GABA for a while. Does it have any negative interactions with other drugs or supplements?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 8:22 pm

Not that I know of. As well as GABA, I take L-Theanine, multivitamins and minerals, non-prescription painkillers, and other amino acids on occasion like DLPA and methionine (if depressed).

GABA regulates and tones down the effect of stress hormones (among other things). It can lower blood pressure. I have naturally low blood pressure, it hasn't been a problem though.

You can take much higher doses (though not all at once). Getting the dose right is a very individual thing, you have to trial it and see how it goes.

For me, no adverse effects whatsoever. I feel so good on it, - possibly I could even try public speaking and survive the experience!! !

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 9:16 pm

Quote:
For me, no adverse effects whatsoever. I feel so good on it, - possibly I could even try public speaking and survive the experience!! !

:) I'm looking for it tomorrow, hope it's at the regular health food store supplement section (I'm in the U.S.).

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 9:34 pm

I think it's relatively easy to get in the US. Look forward to hearing how it goes for you. For me it had almost instant effect.

I began to take GABA after I read an interesting article (can't remember where) which said that 2 distinctive things about ASD people is that we tend to be GABA deficient (born deficient, not an acquired deficiency) and that the electrical speed in our brains is faster, there are more electrical connections going on. These predispose us to anxiety and in our case are more causal of anxiety than external events in our lives. (Though of course external events exacerbate that underlying physiological condition). GABA also helps stop seizure activity from too much electricity storing up and suddenly discharging in the brain. Lots of ASD people have seizures.

From my own experience and observations of others, I think the GABA deficient theory is true, and hope that it becomes more widely known about.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 12:16 am

I wonder if it will be appropriate for somebody with anxiety but low energy?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:24 am

I had both before taking it - it worked for me both ways. Once my anxiety was gone, energy increased because suddenly easier and motivated to go shopping for and cooking interesting meals again.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:26 am

:chin: :idea:

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:41 am

auntblabby for me it was the difference between existing and living. I would wish that for everyone on WP.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:42 am

maybe instead of nootropics I will try GABA.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:49 am

Will be fascinated to hear how it goes for you, did you read the website? (in the OP)

I'm not sure what nootropics are?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:52 am

B19 wrote:
Will be fascinated to hear how it goes for you, did you read the website? (in the OP) I'm not sure what nootropics are?

I read the website :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

DevKit
Raven
Raven

07 May 2014, 4:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
B19 wrote:
Will be fascinated to hear how it goes for you, did you read the website? (in the OP) I'm not sure what nootropics are?

I read the website :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

Why would you do GABA instead of a good nootropic? I take Alpha Brain from time to time and its great. They dont address the same issue as GABA related things tho.