Page 6 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 8:30 am

Only English, but I am learning Spanish. I learn languages out of use, not for fun or heritage. English and Spanish are probably the only languages I'll need. But since I am learning Spanish, I can also read Portuguese and understand it - to a lesser extent. Galician comes pretty easily. I can get the basic idea of French and Italian texts. Due to the massive amount of English loanwords and all of the cognates with Spanish.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 1:51 am

komamanga wrote:
What excites me about languages is certainly the grammar -though in case of Japanese also the characters. I don't care if I can't speak it so well. I just want to get to know everything behind the rules, associate, appreciate and put the pieces of puzzle together. It's just so satisfying.

ah yeah...it very much is. :D

i'm trying to shift my hebrew focus onto gaining lots more vocabulary at the moment, though i find that much harder to focus on compared to grammar.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:53 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
komamanga wrote:
What excites me about languages is certainly the grammar -though in case of Japanese also the characters. I don't care if I can't speak it so well. I just want to get to know everything behind the rules, associate, appreciate and put the pieces of puzzle together. It's just so satisfying.

ah yeah...it very much is. :D

i'm trying to shift my hebrew focus onto gaining lots more vocabulary at the moment, though i find that much harder to focus on compared to grammar.

What I realized while learning languages is that I have great difficulty absorbing vocabulary until I reach a point where I comprehend the grammar. And when I'm finally there the vocabulary sneaks itself into my brain even without trying. It's a strange thing. I used to get very upset when I couldn't remember the new words I'd just learned but now I have a more relaxed attitude about it as I know that I will reach that point sooner or later if I continue studying .

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 3:56 pm

I can speak some German, but I am still learning the language in school.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 8:12 pm

I speak German too :)

I also speak some Russian and am learning Spanish.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 6:32 pm

English is the only laguage I seak fluently - yet I wrote the WP discussion-thread 'The Confounding Subtleties Of The English Language' in the 'Social Skills and Making Friends' Forum.

EXCERPT: It's refreshing to find words in other languages which seem to do a better job than the English language in defining those elusive concepts. After awhile, defining those well........hard to define concepts in the English language becomes a seemingly increasingly futile exercise of semantic gymnastics.

It's believed that understanding other languages is important to developing critical thinking skills; which may in some small ways boost social skills.

---

Anybody feel inclined to learn a few words/quotes in other languages?

andrew112
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2022, 1:03 am

I know a bit of Portuguese, thanks to Duo Lingo and Google translate lol.

Glossa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2022, 12:48 am

Mandarin Chinese and Wu Chinese (native)
English(advanced) Dutch Finnish and German (not so fluent hahah). I hope I can learn a little Low Saxon? :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 7:50 pm

I'm making an effort to improve my ASL through an app named ASL Bloom.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 8:17 pm

I can read novels in French and Spanish. I’m working on Italian off and on, but I’m not very serious about it. It’s mostly for musical purposes.

varikvalefor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2023, 8:51 pm

.i la .varik. cu baupli la .lojban. je le cmacybau je le glibau

VARIK uses Lojban, mathematical notation, and English.

Niktereuto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2023, 7:38 pm

· Spanish (Native)
· English (B2. I'm fluent and I started to study it from kindergarten to high school)
· French (B1. I have been studying it since 1 year ago. It's easy because of Spanish)

I studied in the past Japanese and Esperanto. I stopped studying Japanese when the only teacher in my college returned to her country during the pandemic.

About Esperanto, it was self-study. I lost interest in studying it, but I keep enough interest in it to use an Esperanto username.

My username "niktereŭto" is Esperanto for racoon dog (tanuki). Also I used in other sites the Esperanto "version" of my last name.

Phoenix87x
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2023, 4:01 pm

English (native)
Polish (A2)
Spanish (A1)

TinaS
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2023, 2:57 pm

Native level: Spanish and Catalan
B2 Level: English (passed the Cambridge FCE test years ago).

I took a Latin class in high school as well, but didn’t keep up with the studies after graduation.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 4:15 pm

I read quite a bit of French literature at school in the mid-1970s, and understood pretty much every word of it. Maupassant, Balzac, Sartre, Racine, Moliere, and the author of a charming story called 'L'Enfant Et La Riviere', whose name I cannot recall. I think I might struggle with those works now, even with the aid of a dictionary. :(

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 4:35 pm

Aside from English? Well...I did try to learn Italian, Spanish, Japanese, German, Huttese, Dwarvish, and Sindarin, but I've only could learn a few vocabulary words from them. :roll: