MOVIES: NO ONE Could Have Played Him / Her BETTER!!

Page 8 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2015, 3:31 pm

Sir Anthony Hopkins was divine as Hannibal Lecter in "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Red Dragon". He's perfect for roles like this one.

And Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger in the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" movie series. I didn't like the performance of Krueger in the remake as much as I like Mr Englund's.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 6:37 pm

I long thought that rod steiger should have played norman bates in "psycho" as nobody could have done it better than him. I also think that rod steiger should have played general patton in "Patton" - and that nobody could have played patton any better, certainly better [more fitting] than George C. Scott who was nothing like the real patton.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 8:31 pm

If you haven't seen the new James Bond movie, Spectre yet, and still want to, be warned, there's a spoiler ahead - -

I think Christoph Waltz is the newest and best incarnation of Bond's arch nemesis, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, yet.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 9:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
If you haven't seen the new James Bond movie, Spectre yet, and still want to, be warned, there's a spoiler ahead - -

I think Christoph Waltz is the newest and best incarnation of Bond's arch nemesis, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, yet.

It's as much a spoiler as Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan.

I don't know why they even bother.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 8:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
kurt Russell as elvis, the man whose shin he kicked in that world's fair movie. and too bad evis couldn't have played the part that went to kris Kristofferson in that "star is born" remake, he woulda blown babs clean outta the water!

IIRC, Colonel Parker wanted top billing for Elvis, and they wouldn't give it to him. I mean, come-on, the "star" in the title was the character that Babs played.

I've always felt bad for Elvis, where his movies were concerned..... Elvis HATED those cookie-cutter roles (heartthrob leading man / singer) they gave him----he wanted to be a SERIOUS actor (as in, in dramatic roles). He did a couple of dramas, but the box-office take was abysmal; everybody just wanted to hear him sing, and look at him, in a happy role.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 9:06 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kurt Russell as elvis, the man whose shin he kicked in that world's fair movie. and too bad evis couldn't have played the part that went to kris Kristofferson in that "star is born" remake, he woulda blown babs clean outta the water!

IIRC, Colonel Parker wanted top billing for Elvis, and they wouldn't give it to him. I mean, come-on, the "star" in the title was the character that Babs played.

I've always felt bad for Elvis, where his movies were concerned..... Elvis HATED those cookie-cutter roles (heartthrob leading man / singer) they gave him----he wanted to be a SERIOUS actor (as in, in dramatic roles). He did a couple of dramas, but the box-office take was abysmal; everybody just wanted to hear him sing, and look at him, in a happy role.

elvis went off the rails after that debacle, his health went downhill rapidly, and a year later he was gone.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 9:13 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

One story goes that Elvis had been offered the lead male role in Westside Story, but the Colonel had convinced him to do a bunch of sucky movies instead.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 9:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

One story goes that Elvis had been offered the lead male role in Westside Story, but the Colonel had convinced him to do a bunch of sucky movies instead.

the "colonel" had his eye always on the bottom line, elvis be damned. :x

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 9:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

the "colonel" had his eye always on the bottom line, elvis be damned. :x

Yeah, even after Elvis went to the great beyond. The Colonel had gotten involved in that Elvis-is-still-alive-but-in hiding crap. One of the very few good things I'll credit to Geraldo Rivera was how he had exposed Colonel Parker for the fraud he was.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 9:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Yeah, even after Elvis went to the great beyond. The Colonel had gotten involved in that Elvis-is-still-alive-but-in hiding crap. One of the very few good things I'll credit to Geraldo Rivera was how he had exposed Colonel Parker for the fraud he was.

I wonder what kind of career elvis woulda had, if only he had better management. he was a woefully underutilized talent. :o he woulda been a WORLD star had the colonel allowed him to give concerts overseas.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 11:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I wonder what kind of career elvis woulda had, if only he had better management. he was a woefully underutilized talent. :o he woulda been a WORLD star had the colonel allowed him to give concerts overseas.

Yeah, coulda, shoulda, woulda.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 11:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

the big reason the colonel refused is 'cause he was himself an illegal immigrant who feared not being allowed back into America should he leave for some foreign country to manage elvis in concert there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 11:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

the big reason the colonel refused is 'cause he was himself an illegal immigrant who feared not being allowed back into America should he leave for some foreign country to manage elvis in concert there.

I did not know that. Where was he from?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 11:54 pm

^^^
He was born Andreas van Kuijk, a Dutch citizen who came across the water to Tampa Bay harbor, quickly changed his name but neglected to apply for a green card. He worked as a carny for Royal Amusement Shows. He briefly managed the careers of country legends Eddy Arnold and Hank Snow. He was a friend of country star and two-time Louisiana Governor Jimmie Davis (himself known for writing “You Are My Sunshine”), who bestowed the honorary rank of Colonel upon Kuijk in exchange for services rendered during Davis’s campaign.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 12:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
He was born Andreas van Kuijk, a Dutch citizen who came across the water to Tampa Bay harbor, quickly changed his name but neglected to apply for a green card. He worked as a carny for Royal Amusement Shows. He briefly managed the careers of country legends Eddy Arnold and Hank Snow. He was a friend of country star and two-time Louisiana Governor Jimmie Davis (himself known for writing “You Are My Sunshine”), who bestowed the honorary rank of Colonel upon Kuijk in exchange for services rendered during Davis’s campaign.

Thanks; I didn't know any of that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 12:05 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^

Thanks; I didn't know any of that.

prego :) not much is known about the colonel, his past is akin to looking through a glass darkly. but there are hints that he fled Holland due to morals problems.