Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 6:39 pm

Is it unusual for a person to be able to reach a hand into a pot, skillet or oven and pluck out some food that is cooking?

And do some people experience both hypo- and hypersensitivity?

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm

starkid wrote:
Is it unusual for a person to be able to reach a hand into a pot, skillet or oven and pluck out some food that is cooking?

Yes.

starkid wrote:

I tend to be hyposensitive (been living with a kidney stone inside me for 14 months - which causes other people pains often compared to child birth), but my teeth appear to be hypersensitive.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 7:53 pm

Quote:

this is the exact description of mine,except mine is extremes at both ends.

internal body temperature is stuck at boiling hot so am always sat in freezing cold temps with nothing on and still feel hot,if it wasnt for physical encouraging from staff to put clothes on woud have had hypothermia many times by now.
the always hot body tempature triggers the epilepsy and recently have been in and out of hospital multiple times due to severe life threatening seizures.

am unable to feel-or mentaly process any heat or cold on body,years ago in an old residential home, before they put protective radiator covers on, used to be stood or sat up against them and not realise was actualy sticking to them.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 8:03 pm

I sometimes forget to react to hot-glue drying on my skin.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2014, 9:49 pm

The Squid cannot stand temperatures above 68 degrees F. We won't enter direct sunlight unless it's 40 degrees F or lower. We feel like our skin is screaming (we know it does not make sense) if we enter these conditions. We were born and raised in Florida, and we plan to move to Norway or Canada eventually to find these conditions statically.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2014, 9:54 pm

I am at my most 'comfortable' at temperatures ranging from 15-25 degrees centigrade.

I prefer it a bit on the 'coolish' side, so I don't sweat so much, don't feel uncomfortable sleeping, don't have to put up with annoying insects...but anything outside this range leaves me feeling rather uncomfortable.

Humidity is a bigger issue for me though. I hate muggy days (even if cool)...but the biggest disturbance I experience when it comes to the weather, are sudden changes in air-pressure playing havok with my middle-ear, leading to nausea and vertigo.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2014, 11:20 pm

SquidinHostBody wrote:
The Squid cannot stand temperatures above 68 degrees F. We won't enter direct sunlight unless it's 40 degrees F or lower. We feel like our skin is screaming (we know it does not make sense) if we enter these conditions. We were born and raised in Florida, and we plan to move to Norway or Canada eventually to find these conditions statically.

I agree. I would like to move to a colder place as well. I must convince my wife first, but considering she's a native S. Californian, I think I'm going to lose that debate :(

I tend to be very hypersensitive to pain.

Simplegirlviv
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2014, 11:41 pm

SquidinHostBody wrote:
The Squid cannot stand temperatures above 68 degrees F. We won't enter direct sunlight unless it's 40 degrees F or lower. We feel like our skin is screaming (we know it does not make sense) if we enter these conditions.

This is me. Lucky I live in the UK though. When I lived in Hong Kong every single night I would be ill because I had been out in the sun.

I have always said I am the opposite of those who suffer with SAD and that the summer depresses me.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 12:46 am

There are times when I will be shivering cold in a 70 degree. room and yet on the opposite side. there are times I get so hot on the inside that I can be working outside in shorts and a t-shirt for 3 hours in 0 degrees F.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:10 am

Hey Squid:

You'll have to move to NORTHERN Norway and Canada to find these conditions consistently.

Oslo's usually in the 60s, but it can rise to the 80s at times. Bergen might be better--since there is more marine influence. Inland Norway, even up north, could get hot.

In the prairie provinces of Canada, even sometimes north of 60 degrees latitude in the west, 90's and 100's are fairly common. It can get dusty, too.

I would say living in Nunavut would fill your bill. Iqaluit is the capital. There, a 70 degree day is considered a heat wave.

CuddleHug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2014, 10:27 am

It sounds like hyposensitivity. I?m either mildly hyposensitive to heat or just don?t notice for some reason at least not like other people do. Way back on a family vacation down to the states everyone was taking their clothes off due to the heat and I?m sitting in the back in sweater and jeans wondering what the hell is wrong with everyone. But I can tell the difference between boiling and non boiling water which is why it's mild if anything.

I believe you can be hypo and hyper sensitive to the same sense. Mine would be smell sometimes I can?t smell a thing but other times specifically perfume it feels like somebody?s taken a hammer to my head and I become really disoriented. I?ve often wondered if it?s possible perfume could kill you if you stay around it.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:37 am

I have problems with temperature, though they aren't too extreme. Throughout my life I've always being the only one so bothered by temperature that it stops me from doing things I like. I always have struggled entering water, especially cool water as in pools, where it could take me upwards of 30 minutes to be settled when younger. Outside in the cold, my ears feel as if they're on fire after a while, and I literally just feel super comfortable and don't really concentrate on anything. I just distract myself to negate the pain.

I am the one in the house who always has the heater/fan on. I don't like wearing jumpers as they feel clunky and somewhat irritating (I am moderately touch sensitive too, though that may be unrelated).

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hey Squid:

You'll have to move to NORTHERN Norway and Canada to find these conditions consistently.

Oslo's usually in the 60s, but it can rise to the 80s at times. Bergen might be better--since there is more marine influence. Inland Norway, even up north, could get hot.

In the prairie provinces of Canada, even sometimes north of 60 degrees latitude in the west, 90's and 100's are fairly common. It can get dusty, too.

I would say living in Nunavut would fill your bill. Iqaluit is the capital. There, a 70 degree day is considered a heat wave.

That special interest. 8)

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2014, 11:09 am

My son is extremely hypo-sensitive to temperature. He won't wear a jacket until it gets below 20F (-10C,) and doesn't get warm until it gets above 90F (30C.)

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2014, 2:01 pm

I'm hyposensitive to cold and hypersensitive to heat. I'm really not looking forward to summer. It's already been too hot for me for weeks.

FeralRobot
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jun 2014, 6:24 am

I am hyposensitive to temperatures. For example, last Friday the temperature in my utility room, which is affixed to the side of the house and has an clear roof, and had been left to heat up in the sunlight all day with no ventilation, reached 44C (105F) and I stayed in there for an hour reading. The rest of my family couldn't handle it. I have also been known to wear shorts in the winter, at temperatures of -5C (24F).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 6:48 am

hyposensensitive to cold. am often found sitting at my desk on the internet in just my underwear and my mom comes in and starts scolding me because the window is open and my skin is ice cold. Not mean scolding though. and I'm hypersensitive to the desert heat in the summer. Even if the room is cooled way down by air conditioning I still feel the heat radiating on the exterior walls and the windows.