Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

PrincessMR1899
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2014, 5:03 am

Apparently, someone told me that I talk about myself too much, especially to people I just meet whom I feel I can trust. I can tell them my life story in 30 minutes if they'll listen that long and don't cut me off.

Older people loved that about me, but apparently not those in my age group. They just like small talk and small conversations, but what's fun about that when you don't really learn about the other person??

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2014, 5:12 am

PrincessMR1899 wrote:
Apparently, someone told me that I talk about myself too much, especially to people I just meet whom I feel I can trust. I can tell them my life story in 30 minutes if they'll listen that long and don't cut me off.

Older people loved that about me, but apparently not those in my age group. They just like small talk and small conversations, but what's fun about that when you don't really learn about the other person??

Yeah, I get that a lot too 'why do you have to make this all about YOU?' to which I reply, 'so, has it become all about YOU then?'

See, there I go again. :p

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

I do this a lot and I'm always embarrassing myself because of it. It's something I feel awful about in myself. I can gush out my life story to someone I just met at a bus stop. I'm always striving and striving to get it under control though.

With me, some of it is nervousness and social anxiety making me have verbal diarrhea if someones just asks me one question about myself. And part of it is that I can often have very poor boundaries even though that too is something I've been trying to work on for a half a lifetime.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 9:42 am

Going on and on and on and on about a topic of interest is very much an aspie thing.

The topic of interest can include oneself.

and on

and on

and on and on and on and on and on

(just one more :D )

and on

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2014, 10:29 am

I feel like I do that, but I have been away from the cliques I associate with for some time and they talk about events and people I have no knowledge of so find it hard to partake in such conversations. Plus I have a fair few weird on wonderful events happen of late and although a lot of it I have to keep to myself, I find talking about it and sharing it with other people helps me. I do bring up the fact that I feel I am talking about myself to much but so far people have not had a major problem with it so. Maybe it is all in my head, I don't know.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 11:55 am

I never ever talk about myself IRL.

In fact I avoid having to talk about myself to the point that I just don't talk very much at all except for to inquire about other people.

I just hate anyone knowing anything about me, I too shy.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:19 pm

babybird wrote:

In fact I avoid having to talk about myself to the point that I just don't talk very much at all except for to inquire about other people.

I am the same in person, but blather on and on when on the internet...I seem to like writing more than I like speaking.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 4:02 pm

bumble wrote:
babybird wrote:

I am the same in person, but blather on and on when on the internet...I seem to like writing more than I like speaking.

Same here! It is almost a waste for me to have a cell phone. Unlimited minutes (lucky to talk on it once a month) and unlimited texting. I text like crazy, message on the net on forums like this, and also email exchanges. And the times I have been pressured into a call, I become mostly mute and don't know what to say. Not to mention that if there is any noise at all, I can't concentrate on the caller and have to sometimes repeatedly ask them to repeat what they just said. I had to get a bluetooth headset that is actually headphones and a mic so I could block out extraneous noise. If I know I am getting a voice call, I will have it paired up and ready.

This was a severe handicap at work. Customers would complain about me and wonder if I was mentally deficient and even asked my boss about it on a few occasions. If I am in a crowded room, or a tele or radio are playing I can't communicate either. Whether in person or on the phone. Everyone thinks my hearing is bad but when tested it shows my hearing in fact is exceptional. :lol:

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2014, 8:17 pm

KB8CWB wrote:
Not to mention that if there is any noise at all, I can't concentrate on the caller and have to sometimes repeatedly ask them to repeat what they just said. I had to get a bluetooth headset that is actually headphones and a mic so I could block out extraneous noise. If I know I am getting a voice call, I will have it paired up and ready.

This was a severe handicap at work. Customers would complain about me and wonder if I was mentally deficient and even asked my boss about it on a few occasions. If I am in a crowded room, or a tele or radio are playing I can't communicate either. Whether in person or on the phone. Everyone thinks my hearing is bad but when tested it shows my hearing in fact is exceptional. :lol:
You might want to check out this thread, you're not alone in that, and there is an explanation for it. :wink:

As far as rambling on, I try not to do it about myself, but I have been known to banter about the things I do, my experiences, and my special interests for extended periods until someone changes the topic of conversation and I realize they're no longer interested. Of the limited body language I can recognize, disinterest simply isn't one of them.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 8:35 pm

Shep wrote:
KB8CWB wrote:
Not to mention that if there is any noise at all, I can't concentrate on the caller and have to sometimes repeatedly ask them to repeat what they just said. I had to get a bluetooth headset that is actually headphones and a mic so I could block out extraneous noise. If I know I am getting a voice call, I will have it paired up and ready.

You might want to check out this thread, you're not alone in that, and there is an explanation for it. :wink:

As far as rambling on, I try not to do it about myself, but I have been known to banter about the things I do, my experiences, and my special interests for extended periods until someone changes the topic of conversation and I realize they're no longer interested. Of the limited body language I can recognize, disinterest simply isn't one of them.

Thanks for the info! One more thing to add to the list of previously unexplained difficulties I have had all my life. Seems every day I learn something on this forum that I wish I had access to or my parents did when I was growing up. Sadly it seems even having been studied some from what I read there are no real answers to this either. At least now I have justification for gadgets like my bluetooth headphones. When I got them all I know was like "why couldn't you just get a normal ear bluetooth like everyone else? Nooo you have to be different..." LOL