Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 11:54 pm

Yes I am quite slow...lol I think next time someone asks me hurry up I'll ask them if they would ask a blind person to describe to them how the sky currently looks :twisted:

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:00 am

Just today I started and then deleted an email from someone at work who decidedly does not have AS. I think fast, and probably too fast.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:02 am

better too fast a thinker than too slow a thinker, I am living proof of that.

pinkmoon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2014, 2:26 am

I've always been slow. I feel as if I need a thorough understanding of things that other people can do without really thinking about it. I focus on the nitty gritty to the extent that everything takes far too long or I grind to a halt from fatigue or because I make the task impossible. I seem go out of my way to make things long winded and tedious. I check and re-check things over and over for mistakes. I am hesitant and inarticulate when I have to rush, which by most peoples standards is a normal pace (i.e. not rushing). I find other people too quick; some people are intelligently quick but most, because they don't take the time, are unaware or just don't care about the things that I feel should be understood, drawing conclusions too quickly, obliviously trample over all the finer nuances. I feel as if I'm in slow motion (mentally) but with the compounding problem of just needing a greater understanding of things before acting than do most people. I think partly it relates to inefficient organisation and coordination of executive function, not to mention depression.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm

HarmonySeptember wrote:
Yes. More often then not I am the last person to finish any kind of assignment or task. However, "slow and steady wins the race"! :)

So true! I was always the last one to finish tests and assignments, but I graduated top of my class. :D

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 1:32 am

Yup. When I learn a job, I start out doing it very slowly and with high accuracy. My speed increases very gradually.

In the long run, it's a benefit because my speed gets up to low-average and my accuracy is much better than average. But in the beginning, when I am trying to learn to do something properly, it can be very frustrating to lag behind.

I think it has something to do with focusing on details. Doing something imperfectly is not really something that comes naturally to me; instead, while I learn, I do things very slowly. It is actually a hard mental problem for me to "slack off" and lower the quality of my output. I have to decide exactly which things to omit and which mistakes to leave in. In the end it makes more sense to just shoot for perfection--it's not going to be any faster if I don't.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 11:20 am

I've always been slow minded, so you aren't alone here.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 10:08 am

I just thought of something....a way to reframe being "slow" in a more positive way would be to say, "I'm not "slow..." I'm just more cautious and precise!" :)

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 10:09 am

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
I just thought of something....a way to reframe being "slow" in a more positive way would be to say, "I'm not "slow..." I'm just more cautious and precise!" :)

:thumleft:

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 1:03 pm

It takes a while for me to learn new things and process information (articles, books, movies, video games, etc). I have to re-learn things a few times until I finally understand them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 2:01 pm

I sure wish I could read faster and comprehend a more useful portion of what I do read.