Which did you find harder, uni or work?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 4:35 pm

I didn't find it wordy. I know what wordy is.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 4:44 pm

Work. Especially the getting hired part.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2014, 1:19 am

My financial aid appeal was approved, but like most things I am through the mental loops of reading the approval letter and forecasting into some bad time in the future where I lose it and have to apply all over again because of a loophole.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 12:20 am

DancingDanny wrote:
My financial aid appeal was approved, but like most things I am through the mental loops of reading the approval letter and forecasting into some bad time in the future where I lose it and have to apply all over again because of a loophole.

Sounds like me trying to apply to rent a house. I just found out they want my pay slips and bank statements for the last 30 days. I didn't know I had to keep them. Why didn't they tell me before? Is this one of those things I'm already supposed to know? Why did they tell me at exactly 5:00PM on a Friday so I have to wait three days before I can even try to do anything? Why didn't I just keep them in the first place? :x

MissDorkness wrote:
If I hadn't gotten sick or been on the outs with my parents, maybe I never would have experienced the benefits that came with being forced to be out on my own.

Yes I agree with your idea that sometimes people do better with adversity. I wonder if I'd have a better job if I'd never been diagnosed or didn't live in a welfare state. Not that I'm complaining about being given free money that comes with no obligations but without that things could have turned out differently.

I probably would've gone for the first unskilled job I could find because in my mind work and college are like chalk and cheese.

MissDorkness wrote:
Um, yeah, sometimes I'd work 2-3 jobs in one day, and take multiple classes, that's across four different towns, so, the only sleep I got would be in the common room at uni or in my car at work. Like I said, not healthy

So it you were working nearly 24 hours a day 8O and without time to eat regular meals? Starving leads to even more exhaustion. If I did that I think I'd be having post-traumatic flashbacks too. More likely I'd be catatonic by now. I tip my hat to you because if I had to go through half of that stuff I would've been looking for the nearest ditch to lie down in.

MissDorkness wrote:
Oh, and lame office parties? I've been to a couple of those.

I guess I shouldn't complain about those, they're merely boring, not horrible. I just got kind of jealous when one of my friends said his office parties were LAN parties.

I don't know. Maybe I'm pining for a career for all the wrong reasons. Maybe I won't be in a fit enough state to have one until I can stop hating myself for not having one before getting one. Or maybe I'd just get an insta-ego-boost if I got one. I don't know, I'm not a shrink.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm

:lol: time to eat regular meals? Hardly the biggest obstacle. After tuition, books & gas, I couldn't afford to eat on my minimum wage jobs.

Anyway, the point is, after 19 years of awkwardness, I fell into a line of work where I met many people like me. I was accepted, and even respected. That has given me more than I could ever describe.
I can only hope that everyone here finds that same acceptance and satisfaction.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 11:34 pm

Hmmm. Paying for gas to to drive to a minimum wage job in another town? If the cost of gas matched half your earnings that would be like working for half of minimum wage (less if add on the hours spent driving).

OK I'll stop turning you into a martyr. I'm just sort of struggling to overcome the paradox that the cause of my depression is having lived an easy life :?

But it could be worse right? :)

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 9:02 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Hmmm. Paying for gas to to drive to a minimum wage job in another town? If the cost of gas matched half your earnings that would be like working for half of minimum wage (less if add on the hours spent driving).

OK I'll stop turning you into a martyr. I'm just sort of struggling to overcome the paradox that the cause of my depression is having lived an easy life :?

But it could be worse right? :)

:lol: Gas was much cheaper then. Maybe only up to $1 a gallon by the time I finished?
Minimum wage was $5.15 at that time, I was earning between 5.50 and 6.25 in my jobs.

HA! I actually quit one of the jobs, because a new manager came in and decided I shouldn't be earning 6.25, when everyone older than me was making 5.15, so she reduced my pay to the minimum. Then she had the chutzpah to lecture me on being unprofessional when I didn't give her two weeks notice. :roll:

:lol: no worries, life turned me into a martyr, not you. ;)

~shrugs~ Goes back to nature vs nurture, doesn't it? The age old question of whether we'd be different if we were brought up in different circumstances...

Always.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 9:15 am

Yep....gas was down to about 85 cents a gallon in New Jersey circa 2001. We had some 99 cent places in NYC at that time as well.

I behold Daria, to my uttermost delight! Nature and Nurture together!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 11:58 am

I see. I didn't take that into account because I wasn't up to driving age in those days. Also I live in Taxlandia, otherwise known as Australia. I could only afford to fill up three quarters yesterday. It was $1.60 a liter which would be $7.20 in gallons. There are two different taxes on our petrol and they compound :x

I'd be even madder if I had to pay income tax. We have high taxes thanks in part to the many welfare bums that live here including myself. Their shutting down the factories and it seems like the only part of the economy that's actually growing is mining. If it wasn't for mining our economy and government and society would've collapsed several years ago and The Road Warrior would've been a much more accurate prediction of the near future.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 3:12 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I see. I didn't take that into account because I wasn't up to driving age in those days. Also I live in Taxlandia, otherwise known as Australia. I could only afford to fill up three quarters yesterday. It was $1.60 a liter which would be $7.20 in gallons. There are two different taxes on our petrol and they compound :x

I'd be even madder if I had to pay income tax. We have high taxes thanks in part to the many welfare bums that live here including myself. They're shutting down the factories and it seems like the only part of the economy that's actually growing is mining. If it wasn't for mining our economy and government and society would've collapsed several years ago and The Road Warrior would've been a much more accurate prediction of the near future.

Ah yeah, I've heard some of those complaints from my Maid of Honor, Bill, who is an Aussie.
But my husband, originally from the UK, has had a few old colleagues emigrate to Australia, as it's cheaper than living in the UK, once taking other taxes and property values into account? He spoke of moving there himself at one point, and it's supposed to be pretty tough proving to the government that you work in a trade that is robust enough you can keep work and not end up on the dole.

Hmm, interesting on the economy. My friend there is an architect, but, he has recently traded off building design work to do software training, I guess that's a steadier gig for him.
Where I live, a lot of manufacturing jobs have been lost in recent years. It's crushed the average household incomes in the state. And, obviously, the building slowdown during our recession has caused people (like my husband) to leave the design and construction trades and do other things that don't pay as well.
IT and research science seems to be doing pretty well in our areas, low cost of living has been good for us as well.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 4:11 pm

Reason number two not to be an architect. Aside what you said about inneficient grunt work. Disregarding the total amount of work, I just hate doing tasks that seem pointlessly inefficient. That describes a lot of the stuff I do in my job. Although the hours are short and I have no objection to the number or hours, I don't like how Sisyphean most of the work they do is. They create useless tasks to keep us busy because they don't have many clients. The CEO noticed our department was in the red so he called for our manager to resign. She was effectively fired for incompetence. Then we had one of those lame office parties for her fairwell in which speeches where made about what an excellent manager she was and how sorry we are to see her go. Even though she was being fired for poor performance and putting off most of the clients by being "too old fashioned" (that's what the CEO called her). They even had the cheek to ask for money to buy her a watch, even though she gets paid more than me. I managed to weasel out of it somehow. All the senior staff seem so phoney. They never say what they mean and they contradict themselves all the time and yet they expect me to not get confused. If I had a more serious job I'd probably get even more of that sort of thing.

Getting back to reason number two, it doesn't surprise me much there's little work for architects here because they just don't much anymore. The subsidized housing commission used to build entire suburbs on a whim but nowadays they're selling them all and not building new ones. Very few houses are being built for private rental as well. This housing shortage seems to be pushing up the rent so they can charge high prices even on crappy old shacks. Last year I spent winter living in an overpriced 40s beach house that had originally been designed to be inhabited in summer only. I don't think I should do that again because I went on a diet over summer and after I lost 100 pounds I lost my former resistance to cold. I never felt cold at 300 pounds but I do at 200 pounds. Anyway, although very few houses or other buildings seem to be being built by the government or anyone else, most of the construction in my town lately has been on various bizarre transportation projects. Some of the road and railway projects seem a bit unnecessary but I guess it's good that they're trying to get our roads up to mid twentieths century standards.
/rant

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2014, 7:26 pm

Work is definetely easier if you study engineering. As a full-time employee, you have 130 hours of free time every week.

charlie92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2014, 7:55 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
That sort of sounds like me at 20 when I dropped out of community college. It wasn't just the amount of work but the way it was presented. Sometimes I sort of struggled to understand their instructions before I could begin to follow them. I was doing IT. I understood about 99% of the computer stuff but some of the bureaucratic stuff like how to write a mock report befuddled me. Then again maybe my writing skills have improved since then. In spite of how stressed I was I passed every subject then chickened out when they said the follow up course was going to be both harder and less structured.

Definitely sounds about right about it becoming harder and less structured. I did just fine in the first year of my degree, but the second year was on a whole other level. It felt like I'd just done my first year of high school and then without any preparation I was thrown into the final year immediately afterwards. That's probably the best analogy I can think of. I was doing physics and at the start, the maths was difficult but bearable. Then I suddenly had no idea what was going on and a teacher who barely spoke English. For this particular class, I ended up getting 16% overall. I got my results yesterday and am almost certain I'll drop out myself right now if I can find a job. So yeah, in my first year I averaged 70% which is considered very good. Then my second year... well I already failed it once, now I've failed it again.

Quote:
Yeah. That reminds me of a study I read that in exams, confidence is more important than skill. The same is true for getting promoted. So the most confident (arrogant) people do very well in their careers and then you have an arrogant boss. Also the most workaholic people get promoted to the top and then you have a workaholic boss who thinks everyone else should be a workaholic too.

I can definitely see this being true in the workplace, and maybe some exams depending on the subject. With me though, even confidence wouldn't help since I didn't understand anything.

Quote:
I don't think I'd even bother living on campus in the first place.

I didn't, really. In my first year I shared a house about a mile away with some other students who for whatever reason weren't in dorms. It was essentially the same experience that people had in dorms though. After that, I got my own little apartment which was much better for a hermit like me. :P

Quote:
Maybe the upside to that is that at least you're not surrounded by idiots all the time like in school. As for me, I peaked at an earlier age. I was leagues ahead of my peers in primary school than bottom of the class in high school. When I was 8, I had the intelligence of a 14 year old. When I was 17, I still had the intelligence of a 14 year old. I almost failed year 12. In fact my randomly chosen subjects weren't of much academic value anyway. I sort of feel like in primary school they didn't give me any challenge so I got through with absolutely no effort and then in high school I was shocked when I had to do something that was actually challenging. I had a nervous breakdown at 15 and instead of giving me proper counselling they got the gym teacher to convince me to come back. Making the gym teacher a councillor is sort of like putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank. He was almost as bad as the motivational speaker they got to come in every February. His senseless optimism was nauseating (?You can do anything? ?nothing is impossible?, stuff like that). And the regular councillor (must've been her day off that time) seemed to be clueless in matters like career advice and subject choice.

I can definitely relate to this in a certain way. I wouldn't have said I was the absolute best kid in high school, but I was definitely up there in the top few, no doubt about it. Until I got to university, I'd do really well in almost every class whether or not I even put much effort into it. I'm also very aware of the mental health problems I've had which really haven't helped me, and I've spoken to people about it but it doesn't feel like the sort of thing that 'talking therapy' will solve. Tbh even being on meds for 2 years changed nothing and I've said it felt like I was just being given placebos for how effective it was. Maybe my problem is that I'm not gullible enough to believe overly optimistic people. It always seems to be people who know nothing about your situation and are just saying whatever they think will make you feel better because they don't like seeing people upset. One thing that in hindsight I find pretty disgusting is the lack of information we were given in school about what university would actually be like. We were just told incessantly that if we're smart enough to be able to get accepted, we should definitely do that. We had no idea how different it would be from school, or even that there were legitimate alternatives to going to uni. I really wish we'd have been told about things like apprenticeships and vocational training.

Quote:
I already got minimal help at school. It gets even worse?

I can't speak for your school and your experiences, but for me, it was massively worse. I guess I just wasn't used to having a class of 100 students where you never actually speak to the professor and he doesn't have the time to help everyone.

Quote:
Well I guess I have a few more months of changing my mind every five minutes about if I'm making work and study seem harder than they really are because I'm trying to come up with an excuse to get out of work or if I'm exaggerating the importance of career in self image because I'm trying too hard to confirm. I feel like I have contaminative bias but the problem is I don't know if I'm biased in one direction or the other.

How old are you anyway? I'm 21, and I find it ridiculous that people expect us to know what we want to do with our lives at my age or younger. I really don't know how people get through college anyway, so maybe I'm just not made for it. I'm really not sure what you mean by 'contaminative bias'

Quote:
Motivation is difficult for me because I already have enough money to live on without working.

Yes, but the thing is unless you're super rich, it won't last indefinitely. I'm kinda the opposite I guess with this - even when I do have money, I'm scared of the inevitable times where I will not have money. :/

Anyway, sorry I didn't check back on this thread sooner. You're more than welcome to message me and talk about this.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2014, 8:34 am

charlie92 wrote:
How old are you anyway? I'm 21, and I find it ridiculous that people expect us to know what we want to do with our lives at my age or younger.
Quote:
Motivation is difficult for me because I already have enough money to live on without working.

Yes, but the thing is unless you're super rich, it won't last indefinitely. I'm kinda the opposite I guess with this - even when I do have money, I'm scared of the inevitable times where I will not have money. :/

I find that pretty funny, too... at age 17 or 18 we're supposed to pick a career track and find the education for it. Heck, I didn't even find out the difference between a bachelor's degree and an associate's degree and a certificate program until I was about 19... yes, two years into college. ~facepalm~

Ah, motivation... dealing with adjusting to that myself.
Since 1998 (age 18), I've always worked multiple jobs, because I had no choice if I wanted to take care of myself... and I kinda had to, as no one else was going to.
So, I finished college in December of 2011.
I spent all of 2012 and the first half of 2013 applying for every job I was even remotely qualified for (I was soooo burnt out in my last job)... so, since I started here last fall, my brain has been a bit overwhelmed with all of the new stuff and I cut my freelance work down to almost nil.
So, I've been feeling stressed about not pulling in as much income as I did last year... even though my husband got an increase in work this year that makes up for it.
I just feel like I'm slacking.
I've never worked this little before and I feel like I'm tempting fate or slacking off.

But, then I realize that it's totally mental and plenty of people only work one job, and I can be just like them.
I'm working on it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2014, 8:43 am

You're doing great, Miss Dorkness! Truly you are!

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2014, 8:56 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're doing great, Miss Dorkness! Truly you are!

:oops: Thanks. By all outward measures I certainly am.
Inside, I still feel like a scared little kid who never fit in, or, as they say in the women in technology talks I've been to "imposter syndrome"... like someone's going to suddenly discover that I don't belong and make me leave.

:roll: Bit silly when I say it aloud, though. :lol: